[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Badly sprained or broken

SLAYER

Won't go into the details let's just say I hurt my ankle and since I am unisured going to the hospital is out of the question at the moment. It is swollen, I have full range of motion in that I can move it up and down and inward. can walk on the front part of my foot but when I try walking or standing on the whole foot get a sharp shootin pain in my heel up through the back of the ankle. I'm thinking it is badly sprained, but it has been so long since I had an ankle injury just thought I get some other opinions.

TIA

If it starts turning black, it's definately broken. Seriously. My ex once jammed her shoulder. We were up near Pittsburgh visiting a friend. Her shoulder kept aching but we still kept our plans to go to Kennywood(an amusement park). After flying home her shoulder and upper arm was black and took her to the emergency room. Definately broken. I felt badly for going on rollercoasters with her.

Go to an emerency room at a non-profit hospital. Legally, they can't refuse to treat you. Think about the TV show "E.R"...all the homeless people, insolvent patients they treat. Your medical bills will be written off as a, essentially, a bad debt. Perfectly legal.

They will be more than able to X-ray it for you, and if broken, they will put it in a cast. If it requires surgery, you will need to evaluate your options, as this would likely require a private doctor, but at least you'll know if its broken.

Won't go into the details let's just say I hurt my ankle and since I am unisured going to the hospital is out of the question at the moment. It is swollen, I have full range of motion in that I can move it up and down and inward. can walk on the front part of my foot but when I try walking or standing on the whole foot get a sharp shootin pain in my heel up through the back of the ankle. I'm thinking it is badly sprained, but it has been so long since I had an ankle injury just thought I get some other opinions.

TIA

sharp pain through the heel sounds like a break to me, but I'm no doctor.

You are a Red Sox fan so paint your sock red suck it up and you are the second coming :wacko: Seriously, put some ice on it, elevate it and take it easy over the weekend... health insurance or not if it doesn't feel better get it checked out. No reason to make it worse since you don't have ins.....

There's no way on an internet thread to tell the difference between a break and a sprain. Only imaging studies can do that. The recommendations to elevate, ice, and wrap the ankle are good ones, but if the ankle is broken, further weight-bearing will only make it worse. If possible, at least spend the money to get it x-rayed, especially if it doesn't get better with the above recommendations.

Did the ice and elevation stuff, swelling down, not black and blue. really not that painful unless I put weight on my heel, then the pain is just in the heel area now. think I may have bruised or broken the heel bone. probably going to get it checked today at the indegent hospital.

Did the ice and elevation stuff, swelling down, not black and blue. really not that painful unless I put weight on my heel, then the pain is just in the heel area now. think I may have bruised or broken the heel bone. probably going to get it checked today at the indegent hospital.

:wacko: Sounds like a mild sprain then. :D

Last thing in the world I would be. Yankee fan here.

:wacko: Thats what I thought. I am not sure what was more painful for you. The injury or being called a Red Sox fan

I dont mean to judge but health is worth money. If not spend your money on your well-being then whats the point?

If your debating if its broken or not then I would get an x-ray. Some clinics or non-profit places (1st aid places even) do not charge too much for an x-ray.

I sprained my ankle many time in my life and I have fractured it once. I def. knew the pain between a sprain and a fracture. So I think your uncertainty isnt a good sign.

I hope for the best! Hopefully its just a sprain.

Edited by MrTed46

Just came across this thread and thought I would throw my $.02 in. Black and blue has nothing to do with a break, neither does the type of pain. I have sprained my ankle so many times its almost habit. I have also broken it. There was little to no difference in appearance and the pain was about the same, of course I also sprained it when I broke it. When you see black it can mean skn bruising or blood collecting or other things people smarter than me know more about. Dont judge the injury by appearance or pain. Get an x=ray, no doubt about it.

Oh, and if your over 30 years old stop playing basketball/hockey with college kids. Lesson learned.

My ankle has been swollen and tender since last May 2007. MRI showed that I have a partially torn tendon, and some floating material in there as well. I've been hoping that it would just heal, but I will probably have to end up going in for some orthopedic surgery. :wacko:

My ankle has been swollen and tender since last May 2007. MRI showed that I have a partially torn tendon, and some floating material in there as well. I've been hoping that it would just heal, but I will probably have to end up going in for some orthopedic surgery. :wacko:

:D That's a long time to be putting up with a sore ankle. I agree that you will probably need some corrective surgery.

:D That's a long time to be putting up with a sore ankle. I agree that you will probably need some corrective surgery.

My family doctor biffed this one actually. He had told me that my x-rays and my MRI both came up negative, and then on a later visit for an unrelated matter, I told him that my ankle was still really bad and that I thought I was going nuts because he had told me my test results were all negative. He then said, "Well, that's not entirely true." :D

He then looked at my chart and informed me that indeed the MRI was positive.

"Oh. Thanks Dr. Dumbass!" :wacko:

My family doctor biffed this one actually. He had told me that my x-rays and my MRI both came up negative, and then on a later visit for an unrelated matter, I told him that my ankle was still really bad and that I thought I was going nuts because he had told me my test results were all negative. He then said, "Well, that's not entirely true." :D

"Oh. Thanks Dr. Dumbass!" :D

Hey, if you need some legal representation for that, I know a guy who recently took the bar. . . don't know if he passed or not. . .

:wacko:

"Oh. Thanks Dr. Dumbass!" :wacko:

You & Priest Holmes share the same doctors?