[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Confirmed signings

DMD

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Steelers sign running back Mewelde Moore to 3-year deal

2008-03-03 14:55

PITTSBURGH (AP) -Free agent running back Mewelde Moore signed a three-year contract with the Pittsburgh Steelers on Monday.

Moore spent the first four seasons of his career with the Minnesota Vikings. He has played in 54 career games, including 11 starts, as a running back and kickoff and punt returner.

A fourth-round draft pick out of Tulane in 2004, Moore has 1,285 career rushing yards on 264 attempts with one rushing touchdown and 116 receptions for 1,093 yards with three touchdowns.

Moore could compete for a spot returning kicks for the Steelers now that Allen Rossum is in San Francisco. He also could give the team insurance behind Najeh Davenport if Pro Bowl running back Willie Parker doesn't come back strong from a broken right leg.

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin was the Vikings' defensive coordinator before coming to Pittsburgh a year ago.

Super Bowl champions replace Gibril Wilson with Sammy Knight

By TOM CANAVAN - AP Sports Writer

2008-03-03 16:11

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. (AP) -The New York Giants have reached a tentative agreement with veteran safety Sammy Knight to replace the departed Gibril Wilson.

The signing was disclosed by a person with knowledge of the deal who spoke on the condition of anonymity because the contract was not signed. Wilson left the Super Bowl champions for a $39 million contract with the Oakland Raiders.

Financial terms were not immediately available, but it was believed that the Knight will get a three-year deal worth between $5-million to $6 million.

A 13-year veteran who will turn 33 in September, Knight led the Jacksonville Jaguars with 93 tackles last season. He also had four interceptions and a forced fumble.

Knight added 20 tackles in the postseason, including 13 in the wild-card victory over the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Undrafted out of Southern California, Knight played six seasons with the New Orleans, making the Pro Bowl in 2001. He also spent two seasons with Miami and two with the Kansas City Chiefs before joining Jacksonville last season.

Saints re-sign WR David Patten to 2-year deal

2008-03-03 16:41

METAIRIE, La. (AP) -David Patten, who was among the Saints' leading wide receivers last season, agreed to a new two-year contract with New Orleans on Monday.

Patten's 792 receiving yards were second on the team last season while his 54 receptions ranked third. Patten also had three touchdowns.

``David stepped into our lineup immediately last season and provided immediate leadership and he was a consistent and dependable target,'' Saints general manager Mickey Loomis said. ``He is a consummate professional and his work ethic and leadership skills, coupled with the things he can do on the field made his re-signing a priority for us.''

During his 11-year career, Patten has caught 313 passes for 4,553 yards and 23 touchdowns. He was part of three Super Bowl-winning teams in New England.

Add another one for the Vikes

March 4, 2008

Vikings sign Hicks

Looking to bolster their kick return game and running back depth, the Vikings signed free agent Maurice Hicks to a three-year contract.

A veteran of five seasons with Chicago and San Francisco, Hicks said he doesn't know his exact role yet, but he is expected to take over as the Vikings' primary kick returner.

He also said the coaches have told him they plan to use him in the offense a little bit, even though he will be behind Adrian Peterson and Chester Taylor on the depth chart.

“Right now, I’m just waiting and taking one day at a time," Hicks said. "I know my role on special teams. I’ll talk to the coaches and see what they have in store for me.”

Hicks has five career kickoff returns of 50-plus yards and holds the two top kickoff return yardage totals in 49ers history. He also provides running back depth for the Vikings, who lost No. 3 back Mewelde Moore to Pittsburgh on Monday.

Minnesota was the first free-agent visit for Hicks, who was scheduled to be in Houston on Wednesday.

"Then I was going to set up something with Tennessee," he said. "Fortunately, I came here and I loved everything. I just felt at home.”

Mike Reiss, of the Boston Globe, reports the New England Patriots have agreed to terms on a one-year contract with free-agent WR Jabar Gaffney (Patriots), according to the NFL Network's Adam Schefter. The deal is worth $2 million.