[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

So how's your "nest egg" doing

BeeR

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

starting to wonder if all new money shouldn't be put into money market funds until the blood bath ends.

I actually have a large chunk of $ in a money mkt right now - it's getting a pitiful 3ish % and still beating my 401/IRAs. :wacko:

Dollar cost average is your friend.

True enough. Funny thing is I think a lot of people do this w/o even realizing it (ie company "auto deductions" from their paycheck).

Really I shoulda got into international stocks a LOT sooner. It's not unusual for them to be pulling 20-30% returns, and I don't mean just last week either...ie for last 3, 5, even 10 yrs.

It all depends on your age/timing. With another roughly 20 years to go, I'm not worried yet. And I think its a mistake to pull completely out into cash if you're young - do you think you're really that good at 'calling the bottom'? Dollar cost averaging is the way to go...

But if I was almost 60 and watched as I lost maybe $100k in the last few months, yeah, I'd be pissed and concerned. I feel for those who may have to work an extra year or two to make up for it all of a sudden, BUT....your advisors should be telling you to move more and more out of stocks and into bonds and/or money market/CDs each year closer you get to your target date. Be smart, people...

BUT....your advisors should be telling you to move more and more out of stocks and into bonds and/or money market/CDs each year closer you get to your target date. Be smart, people...

+1. Stock holdings need to be gradually reduced over time beginning about 5 years away from retirement, IMO. Leave only what you can afford to lose.

It all depends on your age/timing. With another roughly 20 years to go, I'm not worried yet. And I think its a mistake to pull completely out into cash if you're young - do you think you're really that good at 'calling the bottom'? Dollar cost averaging is the way to go...

But if I was almost 60 and watched as I lost maybe $100k in the last few months, yeah, I'd be pissed and concerned. I feel for those who may have to work an extra year or two to make up for it all of a sudden, BUT....your advisors should be telling you to move more and more out of stocks and into bonds and/or money market/CDs each year closer you get to your target date. Be smart, people...

exactly. I have very little in bonds right now but as time goes on...

I'm actually up a little (1.73%).But I was heavily diversified in international stuff.

I damn near cry for not investing in international stuff more. They've been just....I mean.....look at the bones!

Dubya said that the U.S. is not in a recession, and we won't be entering one. . .so, I'm not worried.

Dubya is wise. I still swell with pride over the photo of him in front of the "Mission Accomplished" banner.

Dubya is wise. I still swell with pride over the photo of him in front of the "Mission Accomplished" banner.

He does look pretty hawt in a flight suit. Not that he's ever needed one for actual flying.

Whatever, I'm going to stay wealthy in retirement by providing Florida widows with sexual favors for money.

i got dibs on miami!!!

You can have Miami. Ursa will outdo you by taking West Palm, Sarasota, and Ft. Myers