[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Teaching Manners Class this Summer

Egret

Part of my job is to teach social skills to students with emotional impairments and behavior disorders. I have a lot of lessons for teaching this type of student proper social skills. I decided to teach a summer class through another city's community education for manners and etiquette. I'll be teaching a class for 1st through 5th grade and a class for 6th through 8th graders. I have a bulk of the lessons complete from teaching social skills. I'll just be adapting them for a non-disabled group. I'll have each group for five weeks, one hour a week.

My question is, what manners would you like to see children acquire? Saying please and thank you, phone etiquette, how to introduce yourself, etc.

Part of my job is to teach social skills to students with emotional impairments and behavior disorders. I have a lot of lessons for teaching this type of student proper social skills. I decided to teach a summer class through another city's community education for manners and etiquette. I'll be teaching a class for 1st through 5th grade and a class for 6th through 8th graders. I have a bulk of the lessons complete from teaching social skills. I'll just be adapting them for a non-disabled group. I'll have each group for five weeks, one hour a week.

My question is, what manners would you like to see children acquire? Saying please and thank you, phone etiquette, how to introduce yourself, etc.

Don't interrupt is a big on we're working on right now.

do not spit into a garbage can

do not burp out load in a large group

pull up youre pants

dont swear

dont call me cuz, fem, joe

wash youre hands

dont spay ax all over a room

dont rap, sing, recite poetry while others are talking

thats just a start

Props to you for doing this, Egret as manners seem to be a lost subject. A few that I try to instill in my kids:

Saying yes/no sir and maam to adults or at the very least yes and no, not yah

Saying please and thank you

looking people in the eye when they talk to you

responding verbally to adults and not just nodding your head

don't interupt others when talking and when there is a break in their conversation say 'excuse me'

don't burp/fart out loud in public

boys should take their hats off at the table, hold doors open for other people, let girls go first and give up their seat in waiting rooms if no other seats are available

no elbows on the table

don't chew with their mouth open-including gum

don't talk with food in their mouth

I grew up in a military house so most of these were ingrained in my head when I was young.

Props to you for doing this, Egret as manners seem to be a lost subject. A few that I try to instill in my kids:

Saying yes/no sir and maam to adults or at the very least yes and no, not yah

Saying please and thank you

looking people in the eye when they talk to you

responding verbally to adults and not just nodding your head

don't interupt others when talking and when there is a break in their conversation say 'excuse me'

don't burp/fart out loud in public

boys should take their hats off at the table, hold doors open for other people, let girls go first and give up their seat in waiting rooms if no other seats are available

no elbows on the table

don't chew with their mouth open-including gum

don't talk with food in their mouth

Agreed on every one

Teach them self-respect, it's the building block for all manners.

RESPECT :wacko:

When I teach manners to my current class, we go into the foundation of why it's important. I start off by saying that using good manners isn't about being snobby, showing off or being better than someone. Using good manners shows respect to the person you're dealing with. Once we cover that, I usually don't have to talk about why it's important. Most kids understand respect, they just don't always know how to show it or why it's important.

I'd be willing to forgive the age limits to get you in too. :wacko:

:D

seriously good luck with this ..its a great thing and very important ...too much of today's youth simply does not have respect they should have for themselves , family , friends , strangers , etc

Take your damned hat off during the singing of the national anthem, during prayer, and at the dinner table.

Use sir and ma'am with anyone over the age of 18, unless they specifically ask you not to.

Always use please, thank you, or no thank you.

Always open the door for a lady, and all women are ladies regardless of age, social status, etc... until they prove themselves otherwise.

Take your damned hat off during the singing of the national anthem, during prayer, and at the dinner table.

Use sir and ma'am with anyone over the age of 18, unless they specifically ask you not to.

Always use please, thank you, or no thank you.

Always open the door for a lady, and all women are ladies regardless of age, social status, etc... until they prove themselves otherwise.

Pure curiosity, why should someone take their hat off during prayer?