[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

first they threaten to trike

Azazello1313

But the ATA fears that reducing the speed of trucks while allowing cars to barrel through at 75 or 80 mph could create a hazard with cars weaving between slower trucks. That's why the group wants an across-the-board speed limit.

How about sticking to the right hand lane then, you truckin' idiots? :wacko:

Keep your foot hard on the pedal. Son, never mind them brakes.

Let it all hang out 'cause we got a run to make.

The boys are thirsty in Atlanta and there's beer in Texarcana.

And we'll bring it back no matter what it takes.

East bound and down, loaded up and truckin',

we're gonna do what they say can't be done.

We've got a long way to go and a short time to get there.

I'm east bound, just watch ol' "Bandit" run.

Good info here.

The ATA has been calling for a national speed limit of sorts on trucks since 2006. The group wants a federal requirement that electronic speed limiters on all tractor-trailers be set at 68 mph.

That wouldn't be a huge change for its own members, said Clayton Boyce, an ATA spokesman. According to him, 77% of the ATA's member trucking companies already set their trucks' speed limiters at 68 or below.

So, the trucks he has a direct influence on have the limiter in place in 77% of the trucks, but he wants to drag all trucker's down because he thinks it is best? Screw him, keep to your own.

Keep your foot hard on the pedal. Son, never mind them brakes.

Let it all hang out 'cause we got a run to make.

The boys are thirsty in Atlanta and there's beer in Texarcana.

And we'll bring it back no matter what it takes.

East bound and down, loaded up and truckin',

we're gonna do what they say can't be done.

We've got a long way to go and a short time to get there.

I'm east bound, just watch ol' "Bandit" run.

I drive by the warehouse occasionally and always laugh.

if a truck is loaded it is usually gonna be around 80K lbs....Yes 80,000 POUNDS....when i see trucks on the interstate doing 75+(and trust me MANY are going that fast or faster) and they are right up on someones ass all I can do is shake my head....I used to manage and asphalt company and had to hire drivers...I can tell you this, many of them would say how they would get on cars asses to make them move and that they didnt care if the car jammed its breaks on because they were so much bigger(parphrasing)....fwiw, i have a VERY hard time believing that 77% of whatever groups trucks has the governor set at 68

Edited by keggerz

Just a quick side note to all this.

I seen a computer thing on tv a few weeks ago. They showed how ONE car going five miles slower than the pace of the rest of the traffic can and does cause a major problem on a busy highway. It was really cool to check it all out and it went into a lot of other traffic problems that could be drawn up on the computer. Did anyone else catch this?

fwiw, i have a VERY hard time believing that 77% of whatever groups trucks has the governor set at 68

I feel ya in that it seems like a lot of speedin' truckers are on the road. But, I wouldn't be surprised if the industry can claim that with a straight face - at least when the trucks leave their depot. I would be surprised if the governor was difficult to defeat or reset to a higher limit.

I seen a computer thing on tv a few weeks ago. They showed how ONE car going five miles slower than the pace of the rest of the traffic can and does cause a major problem on a busy highway. It was really cool to check it all out and it went into a lot of other traffic problems that could be drawn up on the computer. Did anyone else catch this?

Seen something similar before. All you've really got to do is observe how granny doing 50 in a 65 zone snarls up the traffic for miles behind. Aside from granny, one of the worst driving irritants is the truck doing 62.1 mph overtaking the truck doing 62.09 mph on a two lane interstate and taking 20 minutes to do it.

Someone posted this a while ago here:

Traffic Simulator

I've seen places on I-90 where the roads are so severe that the left lane is usually the smoothest lane to be in and the right lane is very rough. I think that this is the problem the truckers have. The stretch of road from Wisconsin to Rochester is terrible.

Edited by MikesVikes

This is why I always call bs on the so-called safest driver on the road is the 80 year old woman.

Edited by MikesVikes

Don't worry, the price of gas will be so high soon we won't have any truckers on the road anymore.

First we hear about truckers driving 25 mph in protesting the high fuel costs, and now we have truckers complaining about the slow speed limits. :wacko:

Btw, I do believe the truckers would benefit from a higher speed limit. But I don't think it should be anything but freeways. Truckers and School bus zones don't mix.