[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Cheap stuff to do with your kids around the house this summer

Atlanta Cracker

My son is just 3 but preschool is out and he's ready to roll with some new activity every afternoon when I get home from work.

So far in just one week fun cheap things we've done:

Pop its - those little snap-pop, fingersnap, firecracker simulation things. Basically some rocks wrapped in cigarette paper it appears. Couple hours of fun any time we break em out.

Pool - our gym has a pool and the boy loves flailing around in it (not at home but close by)

Walk to get a slushie - His question on the way was "Dad, do I like slushies?" Uhm yeah!

Tricycle missions - He has this little trike with a bin in the back and I sit in the cul-de-sac and send him to get stuff.

Beer drinking contest - wait that's for next year.

What other suggestions do you have to fill up our evenings and weekends?

Edited by Atlanta Cracker

Draw roads on the driveway and drive bikes, tricycles, cars on them.

Color on the driveway.

Soccer, frisbee, hockey.

Digging holes in the sandbox to make "tunnels".

That's what we've done so far this week. Our sons are pretty close in age. He knows that daddy is almost done teaching and we'll be having fun during the summer. We've had lots of fun every summer. :wacko:

I take my 2 year old son on a long walk around the neighborhood and about halfway through we walk through a wooded bike trail. I wouldn't trade 1 second of that time for any amount of money in the world. It's free to do but worth the most.

Color on the driveway.

Soccer, frisbee, hockey.

Digging holes in the sandbox to make "tunnels".

That's what we've done so far this week. Our sons are pretty close in age. He knows that daddy is almost done teaching and we'll be having fun during the summer. We've had lots of fun every summer. :wacko:

Awesome ideas. Cant wait to do the road thing in our cul de sac. I'm lucky my job is flexible but nothing like having the entire summer off with the kids!!

Awesome ideas. Cant wait to do the road thing in our cul de sac. I'm lucky my job is flexible but nothing like having the entire summer off with the kids!!

It's nice to be able to get ideas from work and conferences. I was complaining to an older teacher about needing to find things to do with my son when it rained. He said, "Why don't you just bring him up to the school with his big wheel like I used to do with my kids?" The next rainy weekend, I brought my son up to school and he got to ride his big wheel through the hallways. He LOVES coming up to daddy's work now.

Things we do:

- check out the local pet store, which is like mini zoo to our kids;

- garden (the love "helping")

- I let the kids pick out some music (usually like Zepplin, Hendrix, Doobie Brothers, etc), we crank it up so you can hear it out on the front lawn, then we go outside and paint or drawn on an easel to the music;

- tricyle rides/dog walks around the hood;

- we walk to a local cafe, bring some books, get some refreshments and read;

- read some more;

- splash around in one of those cheap wading pools in the back yard;

- take excess oranges from our tree and make fresh squeezed OJ;

- cook stuff in advance to freeze (like pasta sauce, chili, soup);

- wash the dog/car;

- go to the public library and get books;

- go to the park, bring some snacks, and either a soccer ball, one of the cheapy kites, or something the goof around with;

- puppet shows;

- make art projects;

- visit neighborhood friends;

- dinner and DVD movie night;

- sidewalk chalk.

Honestly, my kids would play in the back yard all day if I let them.

Buy a bag of cherries and teach him how to spit... show him how far dad can spit the seeds.

Let him pick out a few of his toys and take them to a shelter to give to kids less fortunate...

Build a bird feeder

Museum

Tour a factory and see how stuff is made... took my kids to a local candy factory...

I was surprised by the amount of stuff we could do at the local library. There was a storytime we went over there for, but there were also tons of books, toys, puzzles, and other stuff in the kids section.

Of course, maybe my library is cooler than most.

This one is a hugh hit. When my boy was younger him and his other little friends drew roads all over the little park by my house. They would play all sorts of things like "police" pulling you over and they even had a race track that they would hold and park 500 on.

They had an entire neighborhood drawn out on the park floor. They would drive to work. To the store. Head out to pick up a six pack and and then get pulled over by the police. :wacko: Good times.

Maybe if you have the space in your yard you can build a clubhouse. Have him "help" and when its done let him paint the inside any way he wants to. If he paints it sloppy BEAT HIS ASS !!!!

Maybe if you have the space in your yard you can build a clubhouse. Have him "help" and when its done let him paint the inside any way he wants to. If he paints it sloppy BEAT HIS ASS !!!!

We're doing the clubhouse/swingset thing this summer. One of my favorite things to do is play hide and go seek. While he's counting, I grab my golf clubs and head to the course. It's always funny to see him still looking for me when I return 5 hours later. Good times.

We're doing the clubhouse/swingset thing this summer. One of my favorite things to do is play hide and go seek. While he's counting, I grab my golf clubs and head to the course. It's always funny to see him still looking for me when I return 5 hours later. Good times.

:wacko: