[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Looking for a PDA phone recommendation

Grits and Shins

Okay .... my Razor bit the dust today (dropped it) so I'm in the market for a new phone.

I've been thinking about a PDA type device ... Blackberry, Palm Centro, Palm Treo, HTC Touch, etc

Anybody have a recommendation?

Guess I should mention that I am a Sprint PCS customer.

Edited by Grits and Shins

Okay .... my Razor bit the dust today (dropped it) so I'm in the market for a new phone.

I've been thinking about a PDA type device ... Blackberry, Palm Centro, Palm Treo, HTC Touch, etc

Blitz, this depends totally on what you intend to use the PDA for. If you need an email machine, the BlackBerry doesn't have a competitor in my opinion. When I'm on the road I churn through a few hundred a day and have never had a complaint. If you want something with more bells and whistles, then you'd be better served in another direction.

I've got the Motorola Q. For basics like the phone, e-mail/text, etc. is it is a fine phone. Battery life can be poor unless you know to shut out the running applications regularly, but if you don't have the extended battery you are SOL.

Web browsing is fine, though I have found that trying to post to some sites does not work 9I can post to thehuddle, but not some other sites).

Blackberry's - good phones but the software can get buggy, especially with the sync functionality.

Treo's - great phone but bulky, and if you drop it it's toast. Battery life was awesome though.

BlackJack - lightweight and low profile. Sometimes drops my phone connection after I turn it off of airplane mode when I land. Have to reboot it. Battery life sucks.

i've got a Motorola Q9c. The Sprint version only comes with the extended battery. I can get about 1 day of use out of it before needing to recharge. Excellent speakerphone. SprintTV with NFL network is awesome. Documents to Go is included so you can view and edit MS Word, Excel and view .pdf documents.

Downside is that it is a smartphone and not a pocketPC, which means that it does not have a touchscreen. It's a pain in the arse to scroll down articles and websites. Also you can't cut and paste as you can with a pocketPC. Although there are supposedly third-party programs that will allow you to do this.

I narrowed it down to three

Blackberry Curve

Motorola 9c

HTC Mogul

For some reason I did not give the Mogul much consideration.

The Curve seemed to be scoring the best on all the reviews I could find, the 9c wasn't far off though.

I liked the operating system better on the 9c and I liked the jog wheel on the side versus the Blackberry ball.

I opted for the 9c ... except my local store has none in stock :wacko:

How are you planning on using the data features for the device? mostly web, mostly email, or both? Will you need to connect to a corporate email and/or intranet?

I narrowed it down to three

Blackberry Curve

Motorola 9c

HTC Mogul

For some reason I did not give the Mogul much consideration.

The Curve seemed to be scoring the best on all the reviews I could find, the 9c wasn't far off though.

I liked the operating system better on the 9c and I liked the jog wheel on the side versus the Blackberry ball.

I opted for the 9c ... except my local store has none in stock :wacko:

If you aren't going to be emailing a ton I would consider the Blackberry Pearl. Very small and works great. I can do email pretty well on it but if I were using it to send regularly I'd go with the curve for the full keyboard. I mostly read mine on it and reply to a few.

I just bought the blackberry pearl last month, and its great. I had a curve before that, and I got tired of how bulky it was, it didnt have smart type, which is great once you learn how to use it, and I like the mouse/curser on the pearl, which my old curve didnt have. It had a up and function on the side of the phone.

If you get a blackberry, get a skin for it, and pay the $5 for insurance. I got a solid black skin, and it was $20, and it is money well spent. My buddy dropped his blackberry, and it is now worthless, and he didnt have insurance on it, so he was out $400 for a new phone.

iTonorator> get the iPhone

:wacko:

unfortunately, however, i do not have one myself. :D i long for the iphone.

since i have a blackberry pearl through work, adding the iphone would just be pure decadnece (which is still very tempting). the pearl is a good business device. great for e-mail, solid phone, basic handheld web stuff.

the iphone adds in the photos, music, and full web browsing which makes it an over the top handheld. pure beauty :heart: albeit damn expensive.

How are you planning on using the data features for the device? mostly web, mostly email, or both? Will you need to connect to a corporate email and/or intranet?

I probably won't be a heavy user of web or email but will use some of both. Having never owned a smartphone I'm not sure. I will probably also use the GPS functionality for directions/maps. I am hopeful that I will be able to use it to track my calendar and if I can figure out how to sync it with my work (Outlook) calendar that would be great. Typically I only used the internet funtionality on the Razr to check football scores, sometimes weather.

If you aren't going to be emailing a ton I would consider the Blackberry Pearl. Very small and works great. I can do email pretty well on it but if I were using it to send regularly I'd go with the curve for the full keyboard. I mostly read mine on it and reply to a few.

I just bought the blackberry pearl last month, and its great. I had a curve before that, and I got tired of how bulky it was, it didnt have smart type, which is great once you learn how to use it, and I like the mouse/curser on the pearl, which my old curve didnt have. It had a up and function on the side of the phone.

If you get a blackberry, get a skin for it, and pay the $5 for insurance. I got a solid black skin, and it was $20, and it is money well spent. My buddy dropped his blackberry, and it is now worthless, and he didnt have insurance on it, so he was out $400 for a new phone.

The reason I did not consider the Pearl was because it didn't have the full QWERTY keyboard. I figured it would get frustrating with my big fat stubby fingers.

Whatever the new phone I shoose I have already decided to get a skin for it as the whole reason I am in the market for a phone is after dropping the one I have. Insurance is $7 per month at Sprint and I am seriously considering that option as well.

The reason I did not consider the Pearl was because it didn't have the full QWERTY keyboard. I figured it would get frustrating with my big fat stubby fingers.

that's the tradeoff. i went with the pearl because the smaller size was more important than the full keyboard. i've managed to get used to the typing setup but i only send out brief 1-2 sentences from the device. if i had to do a lengthy email from the thing i would go mad.

Whatever the new phone I shoose I have already decided to get a skin for it as the whole reason I am in the market for a phone is after dropping the one I have. Insurance is $7 per month at Sprint and I am seriously considering that option as well.

The keys are actually bigger than the Curve, as the phone has 2 letters per key. And its a QWERTY keyboard. You may want to check it out again.