[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

McCain's VP Pick

CaP'N GRuNGe

Who Should McCain Pick as his VP?  

42 members have voted

1. 1. Pick One:

• Mitt Romney
    • Mike Huckabee
    • Charlie Crist
    • Bobby Jindal
    • Tim Pawlenty
    • Ron Paul
    • Rudy Guliani
    • Mark Sanford
    • Sarah Palin
    • other (please note)

He'll go Pawlenty because he's young, articulate and, against the tide, narrowly won re-election in 2006. He's also a Teflon guy as far as I know - there is no scandal attached to him plus the Republicans still hope to flip Minnesota.

He'll go Pawlenty because he's young, articulate and, against the tide, narrowly won re-election in 2006. He's also a Teflon guy as far as I know - there is no scandal attached to him plus the Republicans still hope to flip Minnesota.

I would agree he makes the most sense for basically those reasons. wouldn't be at all surprised if it were crist, romney, or jindal either.

I forgot to add Lieberman, though I think there's a strong chance he could/would be McCain's Sec of State.

or defense. I agree he would maybe be on a list of 10 or so possible veep choices, but I doubt mccain would actually pick him. I still wonder if condi rice might be an outside possibility.

or defense. I agree he would maybe be on a list of 10 or so possible veep choices, but I doubt mccain would actually pick him. I still wonder if condi rice might be an outside possibility.

I think Condi is too connected to the Bush Administration and as we've already seen Obama is going to do everything he can to frame McCain as a third Bush term while McCain will attempt the delicate balancing act of raising money from Bush's base and running away from him as hard as he can.

If Bobby Jindal left the Governorship of Louisiana...I wonder would that help us or not (it might hurt us becuase we'd lose this Conservative Governor that is fantastic) or would we get more assistance from the Feds? Neat to consider him...but I doubt he makes it.

Edited by SuperBalla

I think Palin is the darkhorse here. Clearly, white women hate Obama and many may elect to stay home for the election, since McCain doesnt exactly get the juices flowing. Adding Palin to the ticket would likely energize alot of Hillary voters, and would balance it out nicely. She's hardcore pro-life, NRA, and all of those other things that the Bush base stands for.

Pawlenty seems like a decent play as well - I don't have the 04 results and an electoral map handy, but would flipping Minnesota and losing Ohio still win the election for McCain?

The election dynamics in this country are so odd, when one or two states are basically deciding elections, and it figures to stay that way for awhile I think.

2. To keep him from running as a Libertarian and acting as a spoiler for McCain.

Bob Barr has already been named the Libertarian candidate.

Edited by Big John

I think Palin is the darkhorse here. Clearly, white women hate Obama and many may elect to stay home for the election, since McCain doesnt exactly get the juices flowing. Adding Palin to the ticket would likely energize alot of Hillary voters, and would balance it out nicely. She's hardcore pro-life, NRA, and all of those other things that the Bush base stands for.

Pawlenty seems like a decent play as well - I don't have the 04 results and an electoral map handy, but would flipping Minnesota and losing Ohio still win the election for McCain?

The election dynamics in this country are so odd, when one or two states are basically deciding elections, and it figures to stay that way for awhile I think.

I think Bush got 286 and if this happened McCain would get around 275 to 276. However, he is going to lose Iowa...especially vetoing the Farm Bill...so, that loses him 7...and coupled with the 9 from Colorado, which I think flips....and then give McCain the 4 from NH.....this is pretty close IMHO.

I voted "other" because I don't know.

Based on the early tally, I don't think anyone really has much of a consensus view.

PS - IIRC, I don't think Uncle Dick was really on anyone's short-list before being nominated by GWB...

I voted "other" because I don't know.

Based on the early tally, I don't think anyone really has much of a consensus view.

PS - IIRC, I don't think Uncle Dick was really on anyone's short-list before being nominated by GWB...

Especially if you were from West Virginia :wacko:

If Bobby Jindal left the Governorship of Louisiana...I wonder would that help us or not (it might hurt us becuase we'd lose this Conservative Governor that is fantastic) or would we get more assistance from the Feds? Neat to consider him...but I doubt he makes it.

I've got a few friends that work closely with Jindal and they're stating that he's got a decent chance. I was surprised when they said that.

I've got a few friends that work closely with Jindal and they're stating that he's got a decent chance. I was surprised when they said that.

:wacko:

So...would this be good or bad for Louisiana? Would that mean Mitch would be our new Governor?

Edited by SuperBalla