[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Taking a trip to New Orleans in mid July

KSUChiefsTarheelFan

My mother's side of the family are all from Louisiana, but I only have a few relatives in the New Orleans area. And they all live across the lake, not to mention they are all "older" and don't really get out too much. I lived there as a kid, but aside from craw fish boils on the weekends, I don't know much much else.

I will be there from July 17-22.

Any suggestions on-

Restaurants

Events

Good Jazz Clubs

VooDoo shops

and anything else would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Edited by KSUChiefsTarheelFan

Thanks! I knew you would be one of the 1st to lend a hand!

cheers

:wacko:

Send me a pm when we get closer to the date and I can hook you up with all kinds of things to do here.

What are you coming for? Bringing kids? Where are you staying? Renting a car while here?

An answer to all those questions will help me guide you in the right direction.

Send me a pm when we get closer to the date and I can hook you up with all kinds of things to do here.

What are you coming for? Bringing kids? Where are you staying? Renting a car while here?

An answer to all those questions will help me guide you in the right direction.

I have family in Covington, Chalmette, and Mandeville. Had a plane ticket I had to use, so it was kind of last minute. The good thing is I have the time to plan. No kids, just the girlfriend. I will be staying just around the corner from The Abita Brewery and maybe in Chalmette one night or two. Renting a car...

Thanks for all your help....

cheers!

Edited by KSUChiefsTarheelFan

The wife and I will be going this Thursday night through Sunday of this week. We are going to a same sex wedding reception, which should be interesting.

Edited by Perchoutofwater

The wife and I will be going this Thursday night through Sunday of this week. We are going to a same sex wedding reception, which should be interesting.

Sounds to me like you will be plenty busy so you won't be needing any guidance. :wacko:

I have family in Covington, Chalmette, and Mandeville. Had a plane ticket I had to use, so it was kind of last minute. The good thing is I have the time to plan. No kids, just the girlfriend. I will be staying just around the corner from The Abita Brewery and maybe in Chalmette one night or two. Renting a car...

cheers!

SuperBalla is from that area, although I don't know if he'll be logging on here much right now... I'll let him know someone needs some info if I see him on AIM, though.

Is Sammys Steak and Lobster still there ? That was my favorite place to eat when we visited. Best stuffed mushrooms ever.

Is Sammys Steak and Lobster still there ? That was my favorite place to eat when we visited. Best stuffed mushrooms ever.

I don't believe that Sammy's survived. No great loss. Next time you come down let me know and I will give you a list of better places to eat!

cheers!

I grew up in Abita Springs :D The Abita Brewery is killer and I'd recommend it, but you shouldn't drive afterwards. I just got back from New Orleans and I stayed at my favorite hotel, The Hotel Montleone on Royal...1 block from Bourbon. I'd also recommend eating at Mr. B's on Royal and if you order the Filet...sub out the "tater tot" potatoes for the mash. Trust me. The D-Day museum is incredible and so is the Aquarium of the America's and if you'd like to see Katrina first hand...check out the Hurricane on the Bayou at the IMAX (a part of the Aquarium of America). Also...you could tour the Mississippi by cruising on the River Boat Natchez. Go eat in Madisonville one evening overlooking the Tchefuncte River at Mortan's Seafood. You will thank me.

Tbimm knows New Orleans like the Native he is. I'd strenuously recommend following his advice though. I hope you have a blast...hard not to. If you are passing through Baton Rouge and like to catch a beer...holla at me via PM. I am pretty busy but I'll take a break for a huddler.

Edited by SuperBalla

Cool bro...if you want to catch a beer with a fellow Lion...holla at me via PM.

Tbimm knows New Orleans like the Native he is. I'd strenuously recommend following his advice though. I hope you have a blast...hard not to. If you are passing through Baton Rouge and like to catch a beer...holla at me via PM. I am pretty busy but I'll take a break for a huddler.

:wacko: He knows New Orleans and lives there, but is not a native.

I really appreciate everyones help on this. I showed my girlfriend all the responses last night, and she was impressed that there was actually something constructive that can come from using the Huddle! She is a hater...

Thanks again guys!!!

You should show her the Aqualung & Katrina threads among many, many others. This place is way more than just fantasy football. :wacko:

Most of the time, a burger is a burger. BUT, the exception to this is Port of Call. It is the best burger you will ever eat. Check out the menu at their website:

http://www.portofcallneworleans.com

Also, Pat O'Briens piano bar is tons of fun. Also visit the tire swing bar at Jimmy Buffett's Margaritaville.

Lafitte's is a cool place too.

Have fun man, I can't wait until I make it back down there again.

Most of the time, a burger is a burger. BUT, the exception to this is Port of Call. It is the best burger you will ever eat. Check out the menu at their website:

http://www.portofcallneworleans.com

Also, Pat O'Briens piano bar is tons of fun. Also visit the tire swing bar at Jimmy Buffett's Margaritaville.

Lafitte's is a cool place too.

Have fun man, I can't wait until I make it back down there again.

Wellllll, there are certainly other great burgers, but in New Orleans, Port of Call is it. A Port of Call burger ended my wife's 7year vegetarianism.