[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Radio broadcasts of baseball games

MojoMan

I was just driving home and the local sportstalk (AM 980) was broadcasting the Oriole game.

For God's sake.

I find baseball barely tolerable after about 4-5 beers at the ball park.

It is essentially intolerable on TV when you at least can see something.

It is ball-crushingly boring on radio. It seems very 1950s.

Does anyone else feel the same?

UnAmerican chits. Baseball was made for radio and vice versa.

Exactly. Some of my fondest childhood memories are listening to Ernie Harwell and Paul Carey call the Tigers games with my grandpa.

If there's a game on and I'm in the car, it's always on.

i happen to be a baseball fan. usually, if i am in a position to listen to a game on the radio... i am captive (in a car). in that scenario, i have np listening. i have np problem watching games at a ballpark.... i have a hard time watching a single game on tv.... i just don't have the attention span. i was a season ticket holder for several years and still had a hard time watching a full game without changing the channel. i have mlb on directv and put in on their game mix (about 8 games on at the same time)..... that works for me.

I was just driving home and the local sportstalk (AM 980) was broadcasting the Oriole game.

For God's sake.

I find baseball barely tolerable after about 4-5 beers at the ball park.

It is essentially intolerable on TV when you at least can see something.

It is ball-crushingly boring on radio. It seems very 1950s.

Does anyone else feel the same?

Not if it's Uecker. You can have just about any other announcer.

Baseball is a laid back summer time on the back porch with a glass of lemonade vodka listening to the radio type of sport. It is not fast paced and goes well with warm summer nights and a cool drink. Only one better way to be a part of a game and that is being there. Baseball and Radio the way it was meant to be.

I'd rather listen to a H8Tank symposium on Wiegienomics.

me too

However, I really do like listening to ballgames on the radio. (I try to schedule my drives between St. Louis and Grand Rapids so that I can hear a game or two along the way--it passes the time pretty well.)

Baseball is a laid back summer time on the back porch with a glass of lemonade vodka listening to the radio type of sport. It is not fast paced and goes well with warm summer nights and a cool drink. Only one better way to be a part of a game and that is being there. Baseball and Radio the way it was meant to be.

+1

I couldn't work my 2nd job (delivering pizzas) in the summer if I didn't have XM Radio's coverage of every MLB game- I love listening to MLB Home Plate best as they do live look-ins and scoring updates all night- I also love the opportunity to listen to the legends like Vin Scully doing a Dodger game, which you normally don't have a chance to experience.

Baseball on the radio is the shizznit!

Edited by Marauders11

When Charlie Steiner was calling the Yankees on the radio, I preferred him to watching the game on TV.

Now he's with the Dodgers. . .

:wacko:

Listening to Charlie right now on NASN from my hotel room. He just said the "Dodgers are just looking to get out of Dodge" :D

Exactly. Some of my fondest childhood memories are listening to Ernie Harwell and Paul Carey call the Tigers games with my grandpa.

+1. Lots of fond memories sitting in a boat with my dad, catching nothing, listening to Scooter and Bill White call the Yanks.

One of my fondest memories of working in Detroit was getting the chance to meet Ernie Harwell and talk a little baseball with him.

Very nice man. :wacko:

I think about a billion people grew up listening to Marty (Brennaman) & Joe (Knuxhall) call Reds games on 700 WLW, which I believe could be heard in almost half the country (at least it seemed like it). There are other great announcers (and tandem announcers) across the country, but there were none better.

Sadly Knuxhall died this past offseason. Even though he "retired" 5 years ago (after 30+ years teamed w/ Marty), he still did an occasional game since then. When he did, you could suddenly be an 8 year old boy again, listening to the game on a radio under your pillow, with Marty & Joe painting the perfect picture of the game. When Joe died, every baseball fan in Cincinnati suddenly got a lot older.

Radio is boring? You have missed it completely.

When you walk into the Red's stadium, you pass the Red's museum, and there are a bunch of statues and banners out front. They also have radio play-by-play calls from famous moments in Reds history playing over the loudspeakers in that area.....it is honestly the coolest thing I think I've experiencd (sports related anyway) in a long time.

Edited by Bengal Mania

I think about a billion people grew up listening to Marty (Brennaman) & Joe (Knuxhall) call Reds games on 700 WLW, which I believe could be heard in almost half the country (at least it seemed like it). There are other great announcers (and tandem announcers) across the country, but there were none better.

ditto