[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

second amendment lives!

dmarc117

maybe it won't be too successful. I forgot this was a DC case where there is no state constitution, so they are considered a federal district....IOW...no states rights...no tenth ammendment. From an opinion of the opinion:

The Court took no position on whether the Second Amendment right restricts only federal government powers, or also curbs the power of states to regulate guns. In a footnote, Scalia said that the issue of “incorporating” the Second into the Fourteenth Amendment, thus applying it to the states, was “a question not presented by this case.” But the footnote said decisions in 1886 and 1894 had reaffirmed that the Amendment “applies only to the Federal Government.” Whether the Court will reopen that issue thus will depend upon future cases.

Source

They were never presented with this question.....and they turned down the opportunity to hear a case earlier that would have provided clarity with regard to gun laws of a municipality within a state. It will be interesting to see what happens. So, while this was a activist opinion...it only applies to federal territories...where there is no deference to states rights.

Edited by TheShiznit

In related news: Man kills 5, himself at Kentucky plant

Witnesses describe chaotic scene at Ky. plant

By RYAN LENZ – 4 hours ago

HENDERSON, Ky. (AP) — It was swift and chaotic, witnesses said, as the plastics plant worker with a determined look opened fire, killing five co-workers then himself in rural western Kentucky.

Police said Wesley N. Higdon, 25, shot his supervisor outside the plant, then went inside and kept shooting. When the gunfire ended, one of Higdon's co-workers was dead, four others were dying and he had committed suicide.

A witness who hid behind a wall when the gunfire started said a bullet struck a water line, spraying water all over the plant.

"When I heard the gunshots, I thought it was something electrical," said plant worker Mark Singery. "When I peeked back out, I saw (him) lying there dead."

The facility closed for most of the day but reopened for limited production Wednesday night, plant manager Dean Jorgensen said Thursday.

The shooting occurred hours after an argument between Higdon and his supervisor over his not wearing safety goggles and using his cell phone while on the assembly line, police said. Higdon, 25, of Henderson, was so riled by the argument that he called his girlfriend and told her that he wanted to kill his boss, according to police.

The girlfriend didn't warn anyone, police said, and just two hours later he argued with another co-worker at a gas station near the plant, then returned and shot and killed his supervisor as they walked outside. He went back inside and shot at co-workers in a break room and on the plant floor.

"He just walked in, looked like he meant business and started shooting at everybody," Henderson Police Sgt. John Nevels said at a news conference.

Authorities said Higdon was known to keep a .45-caliber pistol in his car, which is not illegal in Kentucky.

Higdon's girlfriend, Teresa Solano Ventura, said through an interpreter that she was not aware that Higdon carried a gun in his car, The Gleaner of Henderson reported. She also said Higdon had threatened to kill himself, not his supervisor.

"He said to her that he was going to kill himself," Abby Valasquez told the newspaper, translating for her cousin, who does not speak English well.

Ventura described Higdon, with whom she has a 7-month-old son, as generous and "a good person," the newspaper said.

One worker was injured and was being treated in the critical care unit at St. Mary's Hospital and Medical Center in Evansville, Ind.

The killings stunned the Ohio River town of about 28,000 people, where a local leader said many residents know or are related to a worker at the plant. The plant, operated by Atlanta-based Atlantis Plastics, employs about 160 people and makes parts for refrigerators and plastic siding for homes.

At a prayer service Wednesday night, residents gathered to mourn the victims, some weeping softly and carrying roses.

"Our whole community is in shock," Henderson County Judge-Executive Sandy Watkins said.

Henderson County Coroner Bruce Farmer identified the supervisor as Kevin G. Taylor, 30, of Dixon. The slain co-workers were Trisha Mirelez, 25, Rachael Vasquez, 26, and Joshua Hinojosa, 28, all of Sebree; and Israel Monroy, 29, of Henderson. The hospitalized survivor was identified as Monroy's sister, Noelia Monroy.

Noelia Monroy was listed in good condition on Thursday, hospital spokeswoman Cheryl Dauble said.

Investigators were trying to piece together the timing of the shooting spree. Philbrook said Higdon didn't appear to have any previous disciplinary problems at the plant.

Four of the victims were members of St. Michael's Catholic Church in Sebree, Ky., said the Rev. Jason McClure, who had spent much of the morning with the victims' families.

"They are very upset and hurting deeply and just trying to figure out what to do next," McClure said.

Dang! You mean to tell me, that even though murder is illegal, that law didn't stop him?

But of course, not letting him keep the gun in his vehicle would've done the trick!

LOL...now that is funny!!!

I support conceal carry....should we do a poll?

maybe it won't be too successful. I forgot this was a DC case where there is no state constitution, so they are considered a federal district....IOW...no states rights...no tenth ammendment. From an opinion of the opinion:

Source

They were never presented with this question.....and they turned down the opportunity to hear a case earlier that would have provided clarity with regard to gun laws of a municipality within a state. It will be interesting to see what happens. So, while this was a activist opinion...it only applies to federal territories...where there is no deference to states rights.

How is this different than Roe Vs Wade? Based on this logic why can't states outlaw abortion?

Not a problem for me. I think hunting and self protection and citizen rights but I do want some common sense regulation. Guns with 150 shot clips, semi automatics that are easily converted to full auto and bullets police departments rail against are regulations I like.

The NRA rails against regulation police departments are for. They sometimes go too far feeling any regulation will lead to gun bans.

Guns will never be banned in this country. Never. Not here. :wacko:

But I want people to be able to hunt but also want police to have as much protection as they need. There must be a common sense middle round where most are happy.

Not a problem for me. I think hunting and self protection and citizen rights but I do want some common sense regulation. Guns with 150 shot clips, semi automatics that are easily converted to full auto and bullets police departments rail against are regulations I like.

The NRA rails against regulation police departments are for. They sometimes go too far feeling any regulation will lead to gun bans.

But I want people to be able to hunt but also want police to have as much protection as they need. There must be a common sense middle round where most are happy.

Where do I start, Lulu? You know, just to embarass the ATF, a class III (thats machine-gun) dealer once used super glue, paper clips and a shoestring to turn typical, suto-loading firearms into full-auto in court. If you knew anything about guns you'd realize that full-auto guns are typically HARDER to cause mass killing with than autoloaders. They aren't very controllable on full-auto unless they are HEAVY AND BULKY, which means you can't conceal them. And anyone good with a detachable-mag-fed autoloading weapon can usually change mags quickly. I can change 20-rounders in my AR in less than a second, so the 150-rounder versus 7 or so 20 rounders is negligible

I have no love for the NRA, but that's because they are weak, sniveling compromisers. Not because they oppose regulation. But your second little paragraph is a lie. The NRA were the ones behind the "10-round magazine" limit in slick willie's crime bill. I much prefer Gun Owners of America or Jews for the Preservation of Firearms Ownership. Oh, and most rank and file cops know that guns in the hands of honest citizens actually helps them. It's the Police CHIEF orgs that want all the regs. Those guys are politicians, not cops.

A gun is a tool, period. Just because they terrorize you in the safety of your momma's basement doesn't mean your fear is rational. Don't believe that just because some TV guy kills 29 baddies with a thirty-round clip and hits everything he's aiming at with a squirt gun, that TV is in any way representative of real live. Additionally, most criminals don't shoot enough to be any good with the guns they carry. You really should educate yourself instead of walking around half-cocked. Even the libs are embarrassed by your cumbaya-isms.

What garbage.

tell me,how many crimes have been committed with a fully automatic weapon?Do a search.Good luck.

Semi's easily converted to full auto?LOL!!! Says who-you?Tell you what.Go to a gun show and ask about where you can buy conversion kits to make a weapon fully automatic.Hell,even ask for some info.As a matter of fact,try and do it yourself.Buy one off the web!!! I promise to write you while you serve time.

As far as the police,they shouldn't have access to any weapon "for protection" that I can't use for my own protection.Their lives are not one bit more valuable than mine.

What garbage.

tell me,how many crimes have been committed with a fully automatic weapon?Do a search.Good luck.

Semi's easily converted to full auto?LOL!!! Says who-you?Tell you what.Go to a gun show and ask about where you can buy conversion kits to make a weapon fully automatic.Hell,even ask for some info.As a matter of fact,try and do it yourself.Buy one off the web!!! I promise to write you while you serve time.

As far as the police,they shouldn't have access to any weapon "for protection" that I can't use for my own protection.Their lives are not one bit more valuable than mine.

I have watched a semi-automatic 7.62 FN turned into a fully automatic weapon by simply flipping the safety catch around and judiciously applying thin foil. Works great.

Anyway, that aside, your last sentence is tripe. You aren't likely to be facing down armed criminals on a daily basis nor is it your responsibility to protect the public. It is for that reason the police need access to weapons that Joe Schmoe shouldn't have, not for their own protection but for yours and mine.

How is this different than Roe Vs Wade? Based on this logic why can't states outlaw abortion?

Well, and bear with me since I am not a lawyer...just took three years of ConLaw....the issue is whether the Court sought to tie this issue to the equal protection clause of the 14th Ammendment. I have read this and the commentary and they did not answer that question in this opinion. This is a pretty narrow decision. The 14th Ammendment, as it reads, allows the Supreme Court to make a inherently state issue Federal...and then use the Supremacy Clause to justify its authority....I believe Yo Mama could correct whatever errors I have made here.....but I am pretty confident this decision is a narrow decision that applies to federal territories only.

But all the talk about greater freedoms for gun owners doesn't begin to explain what the ruling means in Chicago, which has seen a recent spate of gun violence.

Nine people were killed in 36 shootings during one weekend this spring. The next week, five people were found shot to death inside a South Side home.

Chicago Public Schools officials say 27 students have been killed by gunfire since September.

Pamela Bosley lost her 18-year-old son two years ago, when a bullet struck him as he helped a fellow student unload instruments outside a South Side Church.

"If you didn't have the guns, we'd still have our children," she said.

Annette Nance-Holt, whose 16-year-old son was killed on a city bus last spring when someone sprayed bullets inside it, was livid with the court's decision.

"I'm still trying to figure out who we are more in love with, our children or our guns," she said. "It's crazy. I'm safer being a deer knowing people are hunting you."

http://www.comcast.net/articles/news-gener...n.Ban.Reaction/

Hey, that gun ban is working great! :wacko:

I would have to call bullpoopy on that one. No one in their right mind is going to sell you a conversion kit, give you a pamplet, or even verbally explain to you how to convert a weapon to auto an a Gun Show, at a gun shop, or anyplace where they can be arrested or sued. But alot of the guys I work and hang out with have guns, lots of them, they hunt, they collect, etc... and everyone of them knows how to convert any of their semi-auto weapons to full auto. And a couple of them have explained it to me in great detail when I have asked.

If you know your way around anything, you can usually make modifications, doesn't matter if it's an engine, computer or gun.

I have watched a semi-automatic 7.62 FN turned into a fully automatic weapon by simply flipping the safety catch around and judiciously applying thin foil. Works great.

Anyway, that aside, your last sentence is tripe. You aren't likely to be facing down armed criminals on a daily basis nor is it your responsibility to protect the public. It is for that reason the police need access to weapons that Joe Schmoe shouldn't have, not for their own protection but for yours and mine.

Garbage again.

Most police go through their entire careers without ever pulling their weapon.And your right,it isn't my responsibility to protect the public.Guess what...It isn't the job of the police either.They are there to take the report after you are mugged,robbed,raped,etc.Don't believe me?Ask a police officer if he is responsible for your safety.

I neither want nor need the protection (which is non-existent anyways) of the police.But they don't need access to a damn thing I can't have.They are NOT the military;they are public servants whom our tax dollars subsidize.The norm for them is confronting street hoods,not the Al Qaeda.

When's the last time you observed the police out with assault rifles,etc,"protecting" anybody?

They are there to take the report after you are mugged,robbed,raped,etc.Don't believe me?Ask a police officer if he is responsible for your safety.

I can pretty much say cops in this state are hell-bent on issuing DUIs to the extent way beyond practicable. I love weaponry and don't want anyone taking mine away, but you really aren't making much of a point.