[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

How do people live in the south?

Czarina

A tornado is a very random thing. It's like taking a map and closing your eyes and drawing a small line on it. But I prefer taking my chances with that over earthquakes, hurricanes, forest fires or blizzards that destroy the entire map. No town has ever been evacuated because of a tornado and they only last a matter of minutes.

Tornados suck and they can be devastating but they occur only a fraction of the time as other natural disasters and effect only a fraction as much area as the other natural disasters.

A tornado is a very random thing. It's like taking a map and closing your eyes and drawing a small line on it. But I prefer taking my chances with that over earthquakes, hurricanes, forest fires or blizzards that destroy the entire map. No town has ever been evacuated because of a tornado and they only last a matter of minutes.

Tornados suck and they can be devastating but they occur only a fraction of the time as other natural disasters and effect only a fraction as much area as the other natural disasters.

Agree 100%.

Though Kansas isn't in the south, I'll take my chances with a tornado any day.

At least with hurricanes, you can get plenty of warning to get out. But if it's going to hit you, you do everything you can to board up and hope for your house to be there when you come back. Starting in May, hurricane guides comes out telling what you need to pack in your hurricane kit.

Tornadoes scare me because they can just pop up in a severe thunderstorm, but you can be aware of a bad storm.

Earthquakes are the unpredictable ones. Charleston is on one of the biggest fault line on the east coast. There was one in 1886 that damaged the city severely. As that anniversary date at then end of August approaches, we are often reminded of that as well.

Everywhere has got something to worry about.

Hurricanes can be extremly deadly and some last quite long. The worst is the power, water,etc. Last one we were without power, water, phone, cell phone for over 10 days. My brother in law was out over a month. Most of the business were out and cash became the only way to do business and hope to get change. Gas to run the generators was another major problem. Most of the stations did not have gener's so they couldn't even get rid of the gas they had.

During Andrew...this place pretty much was leveled. And we are talking about concrete homes....

I have come to respect all of nature. But Hurricanes seem to spawn to many of natures furry into one event..

Just my perspective being a FL native.

I lived in East Texas for 20 years and I have lived in north Dallas for six years and I have never seen a tornado. I have seen maybe 2 or 3 funnel clouds that never touched down. I lived in Northern Californa for about 20 years and felt 3 earthquakes and saw annual forest fires burning in the Sierra Nevada mountains and foothills and saw numerous floods. Long as you don't draw the short straw with a tornado, the South is about as safe as it gets.

... they occur only a fraction of the time as other natural disasters and effect only a fraction as much area as the other natural disasters.

Does drafting Willie Parker in a TD-only league last season also count as a "natural disaster"?

That's like saying, how do you live in New Yorn City with all the crack heads and drug dealers gunning everyone down in their turf wars. Everyplace has something to be afraid of. I choose to ignore it. If it kills me then oh well, I've lived a good life.

the South is about as safe as it gets.

While we don't particularly like the cold winters, Michigan is even safer when it comes to dangerous natural disasters. We get a few tornadoes but rarely have deaths or injuries.

But we do have to deal with Canadians.

Had a truckdriver from New York deliver to us (Northeast Texas) and it was our normal 95 degrees with no wind and asked me how we deal with this everyday.. I just kinda laughed and asked him how they deal with 2 feet of snow. He did also mention that he was impressed at how nice people were down here. I guess to some extent it is just our nature to show southern hospitality, (like telling him and his wife to be careful and have a safe trip).. As far as the weather, tornados are easier to deal with than earthquakes, I'm just guessing here because I've never been around a quake.

That's like saying, how do you live in New Yorn City with all the crack heads and drug dealers gunning everyone down in their turf wars. Everyplace has something to be afraid of. I choose to ignore it. If it kills me then oh well, I've lived a good life.

Did you just watch "The Warriors" or something?

Crackheads can't afford to live in NYC.