[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Enough of the Brett Favre updates

FishFreak

Remember the Michael Vick updates? I'll take this any ###### ing day.

Sometimes I don't even remember what Vick did as an NFL player. But I feel like a better human being for knowing exactly what his backyard looks like. I guess if I have to choose between an "aging-warrior" or "criminal" storyline I'll take...

Warriors Forever! ::crickets::

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Eh, when he retired, said he wasn't forced out but just couldn't take the Monday thru Saturday grind...and then misses all offseason, jumping on with another team after training camp started...well, that isn't an ideal situation for success.

...and he's still crying....

After the end of last season I thought the Packers were in a can't-lose situation. If Favre comes back, great - he's the most electrifying player the team has had in decades, if not its entire history, and is still as capable as ever. If he retires, also great - Aaron Rodgers has shown signs of developing very well, and could end up being Steve Young to Favre's Joe Montana. Even in the worst-case scenario, a QB controversy, I figured Ted Thompson could find some sucker opposing GM willing to give up a s**tload of players and/or draft picks for either Favre or Rodgers.

The trouble is that Favre basically pulled a reverse Barry Sanders. Sanders, as you may recall, waited until just before training camp in '99 to announce his retirement, and the entire Lions organization has been reeling ever since. When Favre announced his retirement before the draft, I was relieved that he didn't do to the Packers what Sanders did to the Lions. But instead he did the exact opposite - retiring early and then coming back just before camp - and that can be just as disruptive to a team as what Sanders did, especially one that's been planning for his departure for at least the last three seasons (when they drafted Rodgers) and began to implement that plan in earnest when he retired, only to find him still around, maybe not physically anymore, but still casting a long shadow over the team.

Thompson's big problem now is time. If he tries to complete a trade too quickly just to be rid of Favre, he could well end up being the sucker, and not get as much out of the deal as he otherwise could. But if he holds out too long for the "right deal", Favre could still be overshadowing the team, and Rodgers in particular, well into the regular season. Remember that six of the Pack's first seven games are against division rivals or 2007 playoff teams. The pressure on Rodgers to perform will be sky-high in any event, but many times more so if there remains the slightest possibility that #4 could suit up and resume the starting role.

Sometimes I don't even remember what Vick did as an NFL player. But I feel like a better human being for knowing exactly what his backyard looks like. I guess if I have to choose between an "aging-warrior" or "criminal" storyline I'll take...

Warriors Forever! ::crickets::

That's true. All I remember is the dogs, aerial shots of the backyard and him walking into the courthouse.

This should be over soon but wherever he goes he does take a lot of baggage with him. Tampa would be my choice. Sapp can congratulate him at the first home game(they are retiring his number or something). That would be fitting.

I don't blame Favre for retiring. He's tired of getting beaten up all season and then starting OTAs 3 months later. I don't blame Favre for wanting to unretire after sitting on his arse and not attending OTAs, actually being away from the game for 6+ months. He had a pretty damn good year last year and all the sitting round probably starting driving him nuts.

I do blame Favre for trying to control the entire situation since his decision to unretire. He signed a contract with GB, he put GB in a bad spot with the team having used 2 draft slots dedicated to QB because Favre retired, and his unretiring puts GB in a precarious salary cap situation that they didn't anticipate. GB compensated Favre well and treated Favre well his entire career, and now he places them into a no-win situation with his changing his mind more often than my teenage daughters do. I absolutely blame Favre and have lost a lot of respect for him with the way he has tried to strong arm GB and then go whining repeatedly to the media when he didn't get his way.

I blame the media for the incessant coverage. Last year when NE was going 18-0, we had Brady TV. Now we have Favre TV. These guys are so incompetent at covering any other stories or doing any well thought out analysis that they simply fall back into what is easy to fill news time. Covering the Favre (or Brady earlier) story relentlessly is simple, takes no work, and takes no imagination. It's right in their wheel house.

I blame the media for the incessant coverage. Last year when NE was going 18-0, we had Brady TV. Now we have Favre TV. These guys are so incompetent at covering any other stories or doing any well thought out analysis that they simply fall back into what is easy to fill news time. Covering the Favre (or Brady earlier) story relentlessly is simple, takes no work, and takes no imagination. It's right in their wheel house.

You're not the first in this thread to blame the media and I guess in a way you're right. However, they simply pander to a dwindling audience and what is left of that audience is increasingly moranic, so we have a chicken and egg situation - audience more stupid, provider dumbs down further. Anyone with active brain cells long since abandoned ESPN and all the other mainstream shoutfests and is getting their news from other sources.

You're not the first in this thread to blame the media and I guess in a way you're right. However, they simply pander to a dwindling audience and what is left of that audience is increasingly moranic, so we have a chicken and egg situation - audience more stupid, provider dumbs down further.

I agree with your point here.

Anyone with active brain cells long since abandoned ESPN and all the other mainstream shoutfests and is getting their news from other sources.

But it's clear that most people have not abandoned ESPN. As far as TV coverage there are few alternatives.

Remember the Michael Vick updates? I'll take this any ###### ing day.

lmao - never saw that coming

And he's right! We can't have enough Favre threads. After all, the Owens and Vick obsessions have stopped.....gotta have something/someone to talk about (from at least from 300 different angles, no matter how trivial) over and over and over and over and over and over and....................

Keep em coming, keep em bumped! :wacko:

But it's clear that most people have not abandoned ESPN. As far as TV coverage there are few alternatives.

Perhaps but I personally only switch to ESPN for live games. The rest of what they provide is either unwatchable / unlistenable or just crap, IMO.

Perhaps but I personally only switch to ESPN for live games. The rest of what they provide is either unwatchable / unlistenable or just crap, IMO.

You're not on the edge of your seat waiting to find out where Titletown, USA is??

I know I am!!!!

There's an article on ESPNor CNN/SI that I read that sums it up pretty well: Favre is going about this the same way he plays. He's making it up as he goes along, without thinking of the consequences beyond his next pass. Otherwise, he'd realize it won't work out for him vis a vis playing for the Pack this season. That door is closed, he just doesn't see it as of yet.

:wacko:

Is it Brett or the media outlets relentlessly chasing him over retirement for the last 5 years that are to blame?

Both - Favre plays the "aw-shucks" Huck Finn bumpkin role, and the media laps it up with a spoon.

The media loves his candor and his willingness to sit down and talk, and the media thinks that many people want to hear what Favre says. Favre is pretty good at manipulating them, as well - if you watch any interview with him, he just talks and talks and talks and circles right around the question so it's impossible to know where he really stands. The whole Favre retirement mess started 4-5 years ago when someone asked "do you think about retirement?" and he said "yeah, of course I think about it" - leaving things wide open.

Both - Favre plays the "aw-shucks" Huck Finn bumpkin role, and the media laps it up with a spoon.

The media loves his candor and his willingness to sit down and talk, and the media thinks that many people want to hear what Favre says. Favre is pretty good at manipulating them, as well - if you watch any interview with him, he just talks and talks and talks and circles right around the question so it's impossible to know where he really stands. The whole Favre retirement mess started 4-5 years ago when someone asked "do you think about retirement?" and he said "yeah, of course I think about it" - leaving things wide open.

Agreed .

Now, Wilbon brought up a good point on ESPN radio today....if TT and the Packers don't want ANYTHING to do with Favre, why is this still going on? Cut him loose. Trade him for anything you can get. I mean, they've made it absolutely clear that Rodgers will be the next great Packers QB. They've said repeatedly that they don't want Favre. What's taking so long? TT is as much to blame for this circus as the media or Brett Favre.

I am not overly fond of ANY media outlet as ALL of them have moved out of the arena of objective reporting and into the arena of entertainment. They spectacularize because they believe it enhances the entertainment value.

Having said that ... I am finding it increasingly easier to turn off the television / radio. Amazingly enough when tuned out, the saturation level around the newest media darling or newest hot story decreases dramatically.

Agreed .

Now, Wilbon brought up a good point on ESPN radio today....if TT and the Packers don't want ANYTHING to do with Favre, why is this still going on? Cut him loose. Trade him for anything you can get. I mean, they've made it absolutely clear that Rodgers will be the next great Packers QB. They've said repeatedly that they don't want Favre. What's taking so long? TT is as much to blame for this circus as the media or Brett Favre.

TT isn't completely blameless, but I think his position is that Favre can obviously still play - but how long is he going to play for? There's a chance he doesn't even make it out of training camp, for Christ's sake!

But if he does, do you want to run the risk of The Face of Your Franchise showing up twice a year in purple/navy-and-orange and tossing tds (and maybe a few ints) against your team?

Not to mention capable QBs are at a premium. Get what you can for the guy - and Favre isn't playing along, because he hasn't filed for re-instatement and is refusing to contact the two teams (Jets and Bucs - both of whom have had playoff berths in either '06 or '07) they have tentative agreements with.

Agreed .

That's a very big if. Where did they say they don't want anything to do with him? They only said they don't want him to start but then Wilbon is a Bears fan.

Also the fan base is very important here and they don't want him playing for the evil Vikings either.

I believe a large part of not going after Randy Moss more aggressively is how many fans told the team NO

I heard a radio interview here in DEN yesterday with DE Kenny Peterson, who is now with the Broncos but was with GB for 3 years. They talked about his opportunties, the Broncos, blah, blah, blah, and then they asked him kind of jokingly about the Favre situation. Peterson got kind of serious and said that he still has a few friends playing on GB and that he talks to them regularly. He said that the players were a bit upset with Favre, that they were behind Rodgers to a man, and that the team had made changes in its offensive scheming to be more advantageous to what Rodgers brings to the table and Favre's return would set GB back a bit in what it is trying to accomplish.

Quite a interview with the Favre conversation turning serious in a heartbeat out of the blue and some unexpected candidness and insight into where the GB players stand right now.

Edited by Bronco Billy

I heard a radio interview here in DEN yesterday with DE Kenny Peterson, who is now with the Broncos but was with GB for 3 years. They talked about his opportunties, the Broncos, blah, blah, blah, and then they asked him kind of jokingly about the Favre situation. Peterson got kind of serious and said that he still has a few friends playing on GB and that he talks to them regularly. He said that the players were a bit upset with Favre, that they were behind Rodgers to a man, and that the team had made changes in its offensive scheming to be more advantageous to what Rodgers brings to the table and Favre's return would set GB back a bit in what it is trying to accomplish.

Quite a interview with the Favre conversation turning serious in a heartbeat out of the blue and some unexpected candidness and insight into where the GB players stand right now.

Let's see what the players think when Minneosota and Tarvaris Jackson outplays Rogers and GB and GB loses 3 out of its 1st 4 games, then they will be saying "uh oh, we gotta wait on Rogers to be like Favre?"...