[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Some Days Driving Is Scary

Chargerz

I had to drive to the bank at lunchtime today. It's located next to a mini mall parking lot. I had already pulled into the lot to get to the drive-thru window and was braking to stop behind a car in front of me when a young guy in a Honda Civic (who was trying to pull straight into a parking space) came barreling towards the driver's side of my car. I caught sight of him as I was braking, but at the rate of speed he was going I thought for sure he was going to broadside me. At the last minute he slammed on his brakes and shreeched to a halt not one inch from my door (I kid you not....I rolled down my window and looked down to measure the distance). The kid looked at me sheepishly, yelled "I'm sorry", and backed up. I changed my underwear when I got back to my office.

Then as I was driving home from work I stopped at a busy intersection (45 MPH speed both ways). I was the first car in my lane so when the light turned green I started to cross the intersection. That's when I caught sight of an old lady running the red light in a Buick going 45 towards the driver's side of my car. I slammed on my brakes as she did the same and we barely missed hitting each other (I didn't actually get out to measure, but we were damn close). She actually stopped in the middle of the intersection and was blocking my way. There was a young woman sitting in the front passenger seat who was freaking out about how close we had come to crashing, but the old lady was just blankly staring straight ahead. After blocking my way for about 15-20 secs I finally laid on my horn, and she pulled through the intersection. When I got home tonight I drank more than my usual amount of alcohol. Tomorrow I'm considering walking or biking to work.

Anybody else have a day on the road like the one I had today??

Chargerz being one of them as should drive.

Good to see he did get out unscaved.

Disclaimer: I was being sarcastic. I am not a sexist or racist. :wacko:

I too am glad you came out of it unharmed. It is scarey how in one moment your life COULD change dramaticaly.

Edited by MrTed46

Every day is like this. People drive so much it is no different to them than walking and they pay the same amount of attention. IMO, parking lots are by far the most dangerous places to drive as far as crash likelihood goes as cars can come from any direction. The number of buffoons who back straight out is incredible, as is the number driving across empty parking spaces instead of using the aisles. At least on a roadway there are a finite number of places you need to look.

Red light runners are incredibly common, emboldened by a recent court decision here that cameras specifically set up to nail these impatient morans are illegal. Minneapolis even had to refund the fines this successful system had produced, plus the number of crashes caused by these di(ks was way down. :wacko:

And don't get me started on the freakin' immigrants, ancient old wimmins with large dogs on their laps, stupid giant-SUV-driving wimmins that have no conception of stopping distance and the cell phone yappers / read-a-book / text-while-driving brigade. :D

the cell phone yappers :wacko:

A law just took effect July first in California where a driver talking on a cell phone held up to his ear can be fined. The sale of Bluetooth devices was off the charts yet every day since then I have seen people still driving and talking as usual on their cell phones. Accidents waiting to happen!!

Edited by Chargerz

A law just took effect July first in California where a driver talking on a cell phone held up to his ear can be fined. The sale of Bluetooth devices was off the charts yet every day since then I have seen people still driving and talking as usual on their cell phones. Accidents waiting to happen!!

I still laugh at people because I think they are talking to themselves. :wacko:

:nottechsavvy:

lol....there should be another law that you can only talk on those bluetooth earpieces when you are in the car. not on the sidewalk, not in the grocery store, not on the train!!!!

Ah, the joys of being old. I love to drive 5 miles under the limit. I consider myself being safety conscious. But the morans behind me just keep giving me the "You're #1" sign.

Glad you're not damaged Doc.

You probably like us honking cause it keeps you awake, huh? :wacko:

Thank goodness you got your ticker fixed when you did.

:D Glad you didnt get hit Doc. Me and my oldest daughter got hit head on about a year ago by a 17 year old kid. very scary stuff. Thank God we were ok but having her in the car when we got hit scared the daylights out of me. Good to see they were near misses and not direct hits Chargerz :wacko:

That's a regular day when you ride a motorcycle. No kidding, I'm nearly run over at least once/week. I read something once that called it "visual exclusion". People are looking for a car/truck/whatever and just don't see the bike.

It sounds like you're destined to get hit. Why do you keep riding that bike??

Of course the law does not cover texting, emailing, etc. while driving and it should. That is way more dangerous than having the phone to your ear IMO.

Yea....not a big fan of car crashes. Glad you didn't actually get in one.

Plus one.

Of course the law does not cover texting, emailing, etc. while driving and it should. That is way more dangerous than having the phone to your ear IMO.

:wacko: