[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Anyone Ever Skipped Jury Duty?

Atlanta Cracker

That would be a lame, weak ass thing to do. Thanks for asking! :wacko:

Right, because you should always place sitting around in a room with a few 100 people so a few can be chosen over your very livelihood. Simple fact is, there are certain days you flat out can't miss work.

Right, because you should always place sitting around in a room with a few 100 people so a few can be chosen over your very livelihood. Simple fact is, there are certain days you flat out can't miss work.

Luckily I've never had to face that, but it is true.

Luckily I've never had to face that, but it is true.

Thing is, I was pissed that it came up when it did for me because I'm actually quite interested in doing it. If I got called now that I've got good managers in place and am not needed for everything, I'd go in a second.

For me though, it was seriously a matter of losing my business. The chef/owner of a small restaurant can't take what may amount to several days off in a row like a month after the place opens.

Thing is, I was pissed that it came up when it did for me because I'm actually quite interested in doing it. If I got called now that I've got good managers in place and am not needed for everything, I'd go in a second.

For me though, it was seriously a matter of losing my business. The chef/owner of a small restaurant can't take what may amount to several days off in a row like a month after the place opens.

Yep if I were to get called in on a bid day, it could be very painful for my business, particularly if it were a slow time and we really needed work.

Well thanks to all of you who didn't throw me under the bus without knowing the entire circumstances around the situation.

First and foremost I will tell you that I in no way wish to skip out on jury duty, have served on a jury as an alternate before, and will never forget the judges words at that trial "If it were you standing up here as the defendant would you want a jury of all the people who couldn't find and excuse to get out of it?" I don't mind serving and am more than happy to but this Tuesday I can't.

When I posed the question this morning before I left for work I was employed by a major brokerage firm. As I post this tonight after just arriving home I am now employed by a different major brokerage firm. This switch was intended to happen next Friday (where jury duty Tuesday would be no problem) but had to be move up due to a few extenuating circumstances. SO, now I am in the midst of a contest with my old brokerage firm to communicate with my clients and get them to move with me while 80 people at the old firm are calling them and giving them fabricated reasons not to trust me and not to move. Being out of the office an entire day (nevermind a whole week or more) is not an option at this juncture. Thus my posing of the question.

Having said that, I do appreciate some of the more sensible thoughts in this thread. So, I have decided that I will try calling Monday to explain the situation and ask them to move it a couple of weeks. If they refuse then I won't show and if I get a bench warrant I'll go explain the situation to a judge and hope he understands and reschedules me for Jury Duty another time.

Sounds like every place is different.

I know my wife forgot about hers. We have to start calling the day before our jury duty to see if we have to report the next day,

She forgot on Sunday through Tuesday. She remembered on Wednesday and they told her to report the following Monday, no calling in.

I know the last two times I had jury duty, I called every day for a week but didn't have to report.

I am on some sort of call the crap out of me list.

The first time I really did forget all about it and nothing happend to me. The second and third time I was called up I went both times I was let go. My opinions on "fry the bastage" seems to get me out of actually being on a jury. I mean I am honest when they question me but that honesty seems to get me kicked to the curb.

The reason you even have a business? Society. People take jury duty for granted and I think it is a lame-ass, weak thing to dodge forever and ever and whine about how 'busy' you are. We're lucky to be busy.

Its your civil responsibility to serve on a jury. The American jurisprudence system is an amazing thing in this world, and, for it to work, it needs jurors. Its an inconvenience to everyone, not just you.

As someone said, in many jusrisdictions, the court will follow up zealously if you fail to show. Its not a crime, typically, so they can't issue a "bench warrant", but they can issue an order for you to appear in court to show cause why the court shouldn't hold you in contempt for failing to obey a court order.

And to Blind Homer - jury duty has nothing to do with being "A true american patriot". Its not like they have a shortage of jurors. All they do is dismiss most of them anyway.

I don't know about being a patriot, but if you want the American judicial system to work, you show up for jury duty and, if called to sit as a prospective juror, you answer the questions posed to you honestly. Most courts in which I practice do not consider it an "undue hardship" to miss work. If that were the case, you'd have juries of the unemployed or those who are happy to receive the $18 or so that you get paid per day or those that aren't "smart" enough to lie to avoid sitting on it. If you're a small business owner and you get sued and go to trial, don't you want educated, successful, hardworking people are your jury? Or yeah, they're too busy, so I guess that you're screwed.

Shame on anyone who tries to skip out on jury duty. And if you do, and you ever complain about a jury verdict against you, or even one that you've read about, you should kick yourself in the balls.

I was a self employed sales rep and a big hardship to leave work for a few days, since I had sales deadlines and quotas to fill. I showed up for jury duty and explained my situation to the judge and he had NO sympathy. It was a drunk driving case and I tried hard to not to be picked without lying by saying I doubted I could be impartial because my friend, who was clearly drunk, rammed his car into a tree, and was aquitted due to a technicality-even though it was his car, he walked back to his friends' house where they called 911 because he was bleeding internally and they couldn't clearly place him with the car, even though, in his statement, he said he was driving the car and walked away

They put me on the jury anyway :D

It went to trial and the defendent was aquiited because of a technicality!-his urine sample possibly wasn't refirgierated right away and might have sat on a desk over the weekend. The prosecutor was barely out of law school, and the the defense attorney was a well seasoned lawyer.

Other than the questionable urine sample, all other evidence pointed to him being guilty, and me another juror wanted a guilty charge but we caved and found him not guilty so the deliberation wouldn't drag on. He was a VP for a high profile firm and didn't want to miss anymore work, and I was a sales rep and every day out of work meant major loss of income. So, there's our jury system :wacko: I'm not proud of how I handled it in hindsight.

I was walking back to my car and the defendent and his mother (it was a 20 year old kid) were walking back to their car. Another juror who felt the case couldn't be proved beyond a reasonable doubt screamed at the kid in the parking lot shouting, I know you were drunk that night and my teenage son could have been been driving on the same road, and you could have killed him. Could you have lived with yourself if you had killed someone? You are planning to become a fireman so you can save lives. How does that make you feel right now? She pointed a finger in his face and said I hope you have learned a lesson and don't EVER EVER drink and drive again. I hope this kid listened.

Not that it matters but here's what happened.

I called yesterday afternoon to see if I could get it moved back a few weeks due to my work circumstances. The girl there says that it doesn't look like your group will be called so just check after 5:00. My summons didn't give me the standby option but when I called sure enough group 33 was excused. WHEW!!! Bullet dodged.

It was never about not doing my civic duty but I wouldn't have gone today. Perhaps if they make it a bit more flexible people will schedule a time when they can really go? I dunnow. I got the impression I could have gotten a brief delay if I had been in a called group by faxing in a letter so all in all I guess it works.