[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Singletary

hooknladder

...i don't think this guy is wrapped too tight :wacko:

Mike Singletary: The Whole Story Mike Singletary lost his debut as 49ers head coach, getting waxed by a Seattle team that entered the game with only one victory. Yet Singletary's post-game rant and his decision to send Vernon Davis to the showers was cheered from coast to coast, resonating with a nation of football fans tired of all the thugs, punks and bonus-baby divas in the NFL.

The whole story is even more bizarre.

At halftime of that game, Singletary called for the attention of his players. He then dropped his pants, turned around and pointed to his backside. He used this occasion and that visual to describe what happened to his team in the first half.

A NFL source inside the room confirmed the story with my radio partner, XTRA 910 football guru Mike Jurecki, and added that Singletary then addressed the team for 3-4 minutes with his pants around his ankles.

The 49ers trailed 20-3 at halftime. They would lose the game, 34-13.

So, the question in San Francisco becomes this: Does Samurai Mike's legendary intensity rally a football team or does the Crazy Man Act alienate a football team?

After all, old school only goes so far in the new world, especially with today's breed of pampered players.

Edited by hooknladder

After all, old school only goes so far in the new world, especially with today's breed of pampered players.

I think you said it right there ^

In Mike's day, it was more about being tough in the name of winning/pride in your team and your self as part of the team.

These days, it seems to be more about money and glory for one's self often in spite of the team.

So, a guy drops his pants, points at his backside, in a locker room, with only guys in the room... in San Francisco. This surprises who?

Seriously, he may be a little too emotional for his own sanity. Not quite the publicity the organization will be looking for long term.

This may not translate to wins, but will certainly create a different mindset of the players, at least those that survive the certain makeover of the roster if he is retained. My bet is that it does actually translate to wins. He'll have to learn to pick his battles a little bit, but you don't see many Giants complaining about Coughlin's old school act anymore. I'm sure he got the attention of his players. This may have even been pre-meditated. IMO, he has the right kind of core for this approach. Willis and Gore are really the only two that have to buy into this. Everybody else will follow them. This team would be best served to play tough, hard-nosed football on both sides of the ball, which certainly fits Singletary's approach. As a Seahawks fan in the same division as SF, I'm horrified. I really think this is going to work. Even if it does not translate to wins, Singletary will give this team the attitude adjustment the next coach will need to win games. At worst case, he is Ty Willingham, who certainly hasn't won any games, but he brought in the right guys and has changed the attitude of his team, so the next coach will have a sound foundation already in place.

His halftime speech prep went something like this...

Option 1: "You played like a$$ in the first half."

Option 2: Show them my naked a$$ and let them see what I thought of the gameplay.

Wonder how many press folk will request to see his next halftime speech. He's like a mime.

Being forced to look at Singletary's hairy ass would be great aversion therapy. Not something you want to have to go through a second time I would imagine...

Call me crazy, but I am still onboard. If they are that far gone where a coach feels the need to bare his ass then let the games begin.

Edited by rattsass

motivational speaker.................................check

defensive coordinator..............................check

out of his mind..........................................check

head coach...............................................negative

dood is out of touch with the modern game and player - game has changed, I have never seen a head coach come in and make it all about himself so fast. You can't do this chit from day 1, bet he has already lost half the team for calling out Davis publicly like that

Iron Mike needs go go back to the speaking circuit - can rant and rave their all day long