[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Disney, set to release their 1st Black Princess but...

irish

...her mate is still white.

http://www.blackvoices.com/blogs/2009/03/1...-a-white-prince

Disney's First Black Princess...Has a Prince Who's Not Black

Oh, boy.

After years of flack from the African American community, in 2006, the Disney company saw fit to finally include an African American princess in its pantheon of animated royals – which in the past had representation from every other racial and ethnic group (Jasmine, Pocahontas, Snow White, Cinderella, Ariel, etc.)

In December of this year, the company is set to release 'The Princess and the Frog,' set in New Orleans and featuring Princess Tiana, voiced by actress Anika Noni Rose. Oprah Winfrey is voicing Eudora, Tiana's mother.

Oddly enough, though, Princess Tiana is black; her prince is not. That's right – even though there is a real-life black man in the highest office in the land with a black wife, Disney obviously doesn't think a black man is worthy of the title of prince. I guess Sasha and Malia and all the other little black girls out there should just shut up and be thankful to have something! Little black boys will have to wait another 20 years.

I'm confused... Disney comes up with a black Princess story, but it's still racistbecause the dude is white? Am I the only one who used to watch the Jeffersons?

I hear you. And the irony is that one would think the goal would be to simply integrate all races into all roles of the movie in a somewhat random manner that didn't seem like an obvious move to placate someone. If they do the same story they've been doing but just make all the main characters black (as I assume if her parents are in the movie, they too are black), it becomes black sleeping beauty or something and that would appear to be a rather shallow gesture.

"Here you go black people. We made one for you."

Perhaps what they're trying to do is actually make it seem less contrived and deliberate? As in, here's a princess who just happens to be black and she falls in love with a guy who just happens to be white. I mean, shouldn't that be the intention?

Edited by detlef

I can't wait for Disney to create and put out the first ghey prince or princess, which would kind of be the same thing now that I think about it. :wacko: