[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Sabbatical from FF

matt770

I was reading about Panther Dave and decided to post this.

Two years ago I ran a league where two people stiffed me, and in another league the commish was shady with the rules and blocked me from adding a player to IR. After 5 years of playing FF and winning a few league titles, these incidents really disgusted me and I vowed never to play again. Last season was awesome, just being a pure spectator and not having to worry about setting lineups and constantly getting stat updates. But I do miss the competition, trash talk and camaraderie. I am entertaining the idea of playing again, even if it's a casual $10 league just to see if I can get the passion back again. Wondering if any of you guys have taken a break from FF and why, and if you went back.

My problem is that I'm a project manager and I spend hundreds of hours reading strategy books, rankings, etc. I was successful as a result, but it tended to consume my life.

I've cut WAY back.

My longtime local is disbanding after this year, so I'm on a couple of leagues here.

I was ready, and I don't miss it.

Of course, I've started playing fantasy baseball, so that's my new evil mistress. :wacko:

I've been playing since about 1990 and have had my moments over the years where I wasn't as into fantasy football as I was other years but I have never taken a break, rather just worked through the down years. The couple local family/friend leagues I'm in also make things alot of fun. I wouldn't say my interest level right now is at the highest it's every been, but it's close and I live for FF. I have also added more responsibilities (leagues, commishing, etc.) in recent years and that has taken a toll on me with my family life but as long as I am able to continue to manage things, I'll forge ahead. My wife is also a phenominal woman who is very laid back and very rarely complains, so that helps BIG TIME.

I've been playing since about 1990 and have had my moments over the years where I wasn't as into fantasy football as I was other years but I have never taken a break, rather just worked through the down years. The couple local family/friend leagues I'm in also make things alot of fun. I wouldn't say my interest level right now is at the highest it's every been, but it's close and I live for FF. I have also added more responsibilities (leagues, commishing, etc.) in recent years and that has taken a toll on me with my family life but as long as I am able to continue to manage things, I'll forge ahead. My wife is also a phenominal woman who is very laid back and very rarely complains, so that helps BIG TIME.

Anytime it takes a toll on your family life should be a sign to stop immediately.

No hobby is worth that.

Anytime it takes a toll on your family life should be a sign to stop immediately.

No hobby is worth that.

I hear ya. Maybe I was a bit strong with saying, "it takes a toll on me with my family" or I just should've explained myself better. I think that most of us have experienced what I'm talking about where the family might be waiting to leave on Sunday to go do something together and you're updating your lineups after trying to find out last minute news. Or maybe you're attempting to pick up a player or place a bid on someone you want while the family is eating a meal and waiting for you to join them. How about the effort and attention required to completing a slow online draft and you find yourself constantly checking to see who's up, how soon until your pick, paying attention in case you're offered a trade or want to offer a trade to another owner, or if you're the commish and it's your job to keep the draft moving by informing others that it's their turn. I remember at times feeling like I needed to get home when being out somewhere to make lineup changes or to place a bid on a FA because it was almost time for bids to be processed. I also recall times when I would have to monitor my emotions when not being able to watch pivotal games or moreso an important Sunday or Monday night game because of some other plans. And obviously the more leagues you're in, the more complicated things get. At this point I'm probably in about a handful of leagues or more and that may not be alot but I commish 2 or 3 of them. I'm probably a little too over the top when it comes to FF but it's still managable, fun and I'm still able to be a productive part of my family. When it gets to be too much, I'll have no choice but to pull back. However, for now, I'm comfortable with things and hope I can continue on for many years to come.

Edited by irish

I was in 6 leagues and cut three out in the off season. The bottom line is that I don't have the time to devote to that many leagues any more. My daughter is growing and my career is moving forward very quickly. Last season was not that enjoyable...and I won a championship in my dynasty.

Looking forward to the slimmer schedule this season.

A telling moment for me was 2 years ago, my brother-in-law was given 4 luxury box tickets to Eagles-Redskins at FedEx Field and it included pregame field passes and he invited me. We got to see the players warm up from the sidelines and it was amazing, the passes whizzing by, the loud whack when it hit the receivers' hands, and just how fast those guys really are when you're up close. Then we go up to the box, nice buffet, the game starts and they are showing highlights and stats from other games. I'm ready to throw a chair because my fantasy team is tanking and I know I'm probably going to lose that week and possibly miss the playoffs. If I could just find a way not to take it all so damn seriously...

A telling moment for me was 2 years ago, my brother-in-law was given 4 luxury box tickets to Eagles-Redskins at FedEx Field and it included pregame field passes and he invited me. We got to see the players warm up from the sidelines and it was amazing, the passes whizzing by, the loud whack when it hit the receivers' hands, and just how fast those guys really are when you're up close. Then we go up to the box, nice buffet, the game starts and they are showing highlights and stats from other games. I'm ready to throw a chair because my fantasy team is tanking and I know I'm probably going to lose that week and possibly miss the playoffs. If I could just find a way not to take it all so damn seriously...

I feel you 100%!! Losing makes me absolutely miserable but I think that most Huddlers share that same emotion as we're all pretty hardcore, competitive and want to win. I've had trouble sleeping at times after losing on a Sunday or Monday Night, especially if some scrub on my bench, who I would never play over my normal starters, would've gotten me a win. Your point on how you can't even enjoy the game while rooting on your homer team because you're constantly consumed with how your fantasy team is fairing, is something I constantly have to deal with and feel others here are as well. I wish I could take things less seriously, however, if I did, I don't feel that I would be playing the game the right way. When I start caring less and not putting the effort in, I'll stop playing because I hate when other owners have a lack of enthusiasm and don't properly manage their teams and I won't accept that if/when it happens with me.

I'm thinking I'll walk away this year. I was excited to draft last year, but completely lost interest by week 6. Too many teams, too many years. Maybe my lust for the hobby will return after a leave.

Two years ago I ran a league where two people stiffed me,

How is 4B these days?

Anyway I've never done more than 2 leagues in a year (usually one) but have about given up on finding a local league worth a flip and non-locals pretty much bore me (esp drafts that aren't live) so it might be time for this hobby to end. Too bad; with the right people it can be a real blast......seems like when this first started getting big, people got into it to a degree that seemed like a "happy medium" - now it seems most are either totally geeked out on it to scary degree or so non-active/casual about it you wonder why they even bother. oh well

Someone seems to post this same thread every year. I know I did once. I took a break and came back to a BOTH homer league and that is just right for me after 19 years of FF. I also do a sucky free league thingy in Yahoo under a profile I use only for FF. So I guess that is five leagues, but I don't take that other free stuff seriously. The thing FF does is provide a better feeling of what is happening NFL wide and that is good if you are an NFL fan first. Taking a year off made me realize this!

To do it right, it is like a part time job and can take away from other more important things. Just the very fact you are posting this, after my years on these boards, is an indication to me that you should cut back or take a year off.

I, myself, have been thinking about taking a break, too. A friend in my local did and he really enjoyed the time away, doesn't know if he'll come back. In my situation, my wife and I are expecting our first child (due 1st week of Sept.) so I know my mind and time will be preoccupied with my daughter and wife. Wife says she has no problems with me continuing, but I don't know if I just want to "hang on" to the roster spot and not be fully into FF competition.

this year I'm deciding to not run my local and it's not going to exist either...

there's a good chance that I don't play Fantasy at all...because I find myself to be too involved with it at the time...

plus I usually find myself joining multiple leagues and I really only have the want to focus on one team...

I just dont worry about fantasy during the games...I watch the games for fun then monday morning I make my rounds at MFL.

i've completely missed out on my kids lives due to fantasy football. i'm not sure they even recognize me any more. last night at dinner my youngest asked my wife what "that guy" is doing joining us for dinner again.

i'm trying to reestablish those bonds but it's hard with the draft just happening and all ...

Someone seems to post this same thread every year. I know I did once. I took a break and came back to a BOTH homer league and that is just right for me after 19 years of FF. I also do a sucky free league thingy in Yahoo under a profile I use only for FF. So I guess that is five leagues, but I don't take that other free stuff seriously. The thing FF does is provide a better feeling of what is happening NFL wide and that is good if you are an NFL fan first. Taking a year off made me realize this!

To do it right, it is like a part time job and can take away from other more important things. Just the very fact you are posting this, after my years on these boards, is an indication to me that you should cut back or take a year off.

Matt, good advice from someone who has been there.

I had been playing since 1989 and took a year off from my online leagues (I think I was in 4 or 5...plus I had a heart attack) last year and was only in my local I commish. It was amazing. I may join 1 or 2 small-time leagues this year. Nothing that will consume my time too much.

My home league is very, very basic scoring and we've had the same core of guys for the most part since '89 because it doesn't consume your life. I'm tired of performance leagues where the guy gets a point for sneezing.

I like the WCOFF league where I can just put up my money and let someone else run the show. Especially when you have the fantasy football knowledge that is in there. I can just run out to Vegas and make sure Twiley isn't too god-awful drunk for the draft :wacko:.

Edited by TimC

I can just run out to Vegas and make sure Twiley isn't too god-awful drunk for the draft :wacko:.

He usually has someoneone drafting for him, and is is done in bed by 8:00 am while he is there.

He usually has someoneone drafting for him, and is is done in bed by 8:00 am while he is there.

Agreed...Twiley's the good one. It's that Billy Balata guy that stirs up all the trouble. :wacko:

2 years ago I was in 14 leagues.

Now I am in 7 after having a "sit down" with my wife.

I dont drink excessively, dont smoke, rarely gamble, and really dont have any other vices than NFL and fantasy football.

To each their own . . .

are you an alias?

:wacko: I believe taz can vouch for his authenticity.

sounds like another n.illinoisan that was a supposed expert on the constitution. cant remember his name. his avi was vick gettin attacked by a dog......

Edited by dmarc117