[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

TV Shows

darin3

Let me be begin by saying that I'm a confessed reality show junkie :wacko: .... now that they're all but done for the summer, I have nothing on my DVR queue. I still DVR Ghost Hunters, but I think I've seen 90% of them. Ditto with Seinfeld.

Anything good that's on broadcast TV right now?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll confess to a silly summer tv pleasure... "Psych" on USA Network. That's not broadcast tho, huh?

I think you're better off getting TV show DVDs for free from the library. See if they have season one of "True Blood" which was released a week ago. Put it on hold now cuz there's probably a wait list.

Grab some beer and get DVDs for Futurama, Venture Bros, Family Guy :D

Yeah, I should have been more specific; I don't have Showtime, HBO, etc. Just basic cable. :wacko:

We have Netflix, and I might check out an old series or two.

I will watch an episode of Family Guy here and there at night. At first, I thought it was crap, but it's grown on me a bit.

If you're not opposed to shows on cable Deadliest Catch is on Discovery channel. I think the season is about half over but they replay the show a lot so you can probably catch most of the episodes.

Let me be begin by saying that I'm a confessed reality show junkie :D .... Anything good that's on broadcast TV right now?

My wife just started watching The Bachelorette. :wacko:

If you're looking for something a little less ghey, I'm currently watching Breaking Bad and Madmen on AMC (Sunday nights), and Rescue Me (Tuesdays) just started another season on FX. All three are great shows (can't remember if you said you watch any of these or not).

I'm also watching The Ultimate Fighter on Spike (Wednesdays), which is about halfway through the season (maybe less?).

Personally, though, I hate starting a show mis-season, and would give a big +1 to trying to find a season of something you haven't seen on Netflix or Blockbuster.com... Here are a few that I've enjoyed (I know you've seen a lot of these, more than likely, but I'm too lazy to look it up in the other threads similar to this):

HBO - Big Love (awesome show), Rome (typical "guys" show), Tell Me You Love Me (show about couples in counseling... pretty entertaining). Also, like someone else mentioned, Trueblood's first season just came out... good show.

Showtime - Dexter is one of the best shows out there... First two (I think) seasons on disc, third should start soon as well. Another show that is similar to Rome in that it's got lots of blood and gratuitous sex is The Tudors... Not what I would call a "great" show, but entertaining enough.

I'm just starting season 2 of Friday Night Lights myself... but I think I remember you being one of the people to advocate that show in another thread.

I've got about 20-30 other shows on my BB queue that are somewhat lesser known (including some British TV)... If you want, I can pass a few on to you (although many of them I haven't watched yet, so can only "recommend" them by the reviews I've seen online).

Edit: If you're just looking for something to start watching on regular TV, the shows in bold are good enough that, you can start them mid-season and you'll probably be "hooked." Rescue Me is one of the top 5 shows I've ever watched (and I've obviously watched quite a bit of TV).

Edited by Gopher

Of course, being somewhat of a closet reality show fan myself, you could also catch the last few episodes of Real World/Road Rules Challenge on MTV, or wait for the next Real World (Cancun) to start in a few weeks... the last Real World was one of the tamer seasons I've seen, so I think MTV decided to load this next cast with as much booze as possible... the previews make it look like a big drunk-fest. Guarantee at least one of those kids is going to jail while on the show....

Ghost HUnter is all re-runs until the fall. Ghost Hunter International starts in the summer but they never seem to find anything.

If you're not opposed to shows on cable Deadliest Catch is on Discovery channel. I think the season is about half over but they replay the show a lot so you can probably catch most of the episodes.

I caught a good part of a marathon from last season several months ago. I think I got my fill.

My wife just started watching The Bachelorette. :wacko:

If you're looking for something a little less ghey, I'm currently watching Breaking Bad and Madmen on AMC (Sunday nights), and Rescue Me (Tuesdays) just started another season on FX. All three are great shows (can't remember if you said you watch any of these or not).

I'm also watching The Ultimate Fighter on Spike (Wednesdays), which is about halfway through the season (maybe less?).

Personally, though, I hate starting a show mis-season, and would give a big +1 to trying to find a season of something you haven't seen on Netflix or Blockbuster.com... Here are a few that I've enjoyed (I know you've seen a lot of these, more than likely, but I'm too lazy to look it up in the other threads similar to this):

HBO - Big Love (awesome show), Rome (typical "guys" show), Tell Me You Love Me (show about couples in counseling... pretty entertaining). Also, like someone else mentioned, Trueblood's first season just came out... good show.

Showtime - Dexter is one of the best shows out there... First two (I think) seasons on disc, third should start soon as well. Another show that is similar to Rome in that it's got lots of blood and gratuitous sex is The Tudors... Not what I would call a "great" show, but entertaining enough.

I'm just starting season 2 of Friday Night Lights myself... but I think I remember you being one of the people to advocate that show in another thread.

I've got about 20-30 other shows on my BB queue that are somewhat lesser known (including some British TV)... If you want, I can pass a few on to you (although many of them I haven't watched yet, so can only "recommend" them by the reviews I've seen online).

Edit: If you're just looking for something to start watching on regular TV, the shows in bold are good enough that, you can start them mid-season and you'll probably be "hooked." Rescue Me is one of the top 5 shows I've ever watched (and I've obviously watched quite a bit of TV).

I may or may not have Bachelorette on DVR. :D

Huge fan of Mad Men... is that into a new season?

I heard Rescue me is a good show. Might give that a whirl.

HUGH fan of FNL, but won't get the next season until DirecTV has its way with it.

Of course, being somewhat of a closet reality show fan myself, you could also catch the last few episodes of Real World/Road Rules Challenge on MTV, or wait for the next Real World (Cancun) to start in a few weeks... the last Real World was one of the tamer seasons I've seen, so I think MTV decided to load this next cast with as much booze as possible... the previews make it look like a big drunk-fest. Guarantee at least one of those kids is going to jail while on the show....

All the "Real" shows on MTV jumped the shark years ago.

Ghost HUnter is all re-runs until the fall. Ghost Hunter International starts in the summer but they never seem to find anything.

:D Well hopefully I'll catch up on the GH's and GHI's.

I caught a good part of a marathon from last season several months ago. I think I got my fill.

I may or may not have Bachelorette on DVR. :D

Huge fan of Mad Men... is that into a new season?

I heard Rescue me is a good show. Might give that a whirl.

HUGH fan of FNL, but won't get the next season until DirecTV has its way with it.

All the "Real" shows on MTV jumped the shark years ago.

:D Well hopefully I'll catch up on the GH's and GHI's.

Dude... if you haven't seen Rescue Me, that needs to be at the top of the list. :wacko: Phenomenal show, with the perfect mix of comedy and "real" issues. Seriously, I watched the first two seasons on blue ray in less than a week... like 4 hours on average per night, until I was done. I then curled up into the fetal position until season 3 came out on disc, and proceeded to burn through that in no time. Then, back into withdrawal until the new season started about six weeks ago. It was a withdrawal I can only compare to the NFL season ending... you can watch other shows/sports until it starts back up, but nothing quite gives you that "fix" that you're missing.

Oh, and I hate to admit it, but my wife and I still watch the Real World shows/challenges religiously. :D

This show is great, I love it.

I'm also kind of hooked on Time Warp on Discovery. They use ultra high speed cameras to film everyday things and breakdown what's happening. The images are awesome.

Have you watched Ace of Cakes on the Food Network? It's about a guy in Baltimore who owns a bakery called Charm City Bakery. He and his team make very creative, high-end cakes. It's pretty entertaining. Last week, they were in Honolulu making and delivering a cake to the set of Lost for their 100th episode.

Rescue Me is the best one out there IMO. Sons of Anarchy is coming back in a few months also. I've caught about 4 episodes of Deadliest Warrior on Spike, they take two past or present "warriors" and compare their fighting styles, equipment, and tactics to see who's the man. Pretty entertaining and lots of battle simulation. I've watched Green Beret vs. Spetsnaz, Shaolin Monk vs. Maori, Mafia vs. Yakuza, and a few others.

Deadliest Warrior has some episodes coming up on Sunday afternoon with Apache vs. Gladiator ,Viking vs. Samurai, Spartan vs. Ninja, Pirate vs. Knight, Yakuza vs. Mafia, William Wallace vs. Shaka Zulu, IRA vs. Taliban, and Green Beret vs. Spetsnaz. Must be a marathon of all their episodes, and it starts @ 1:00 pm eastern.

Mad Men season 3 doesn't start until August.

Yeah... But, season 2 is being replayed on Sunday nights right now, right after the current season's episodes of Breaking Bad. I watched Madmen's first season on disc a couple of months ago (and there was a LONG wait for it, by the way), and am now catching up on season 2.

Will Ferrell is going out in the wild with Bear Grylls next Tuesday, I ain't missing that sh..it! :D

That might be worth watching... I watched a few episodes of Grylls' show, but after a while, it seemed like watching the same 3-4 episodes over and over again... some of the places they dropped him seemed to be not that different, I guess. Still, a pretty interesting show... It's amazing how much that guy knows about nature. :wacko:

New Season of WIPEOUT started this week. I couldn't stop laughing with the new obstacles the put in. I was almost in tears. If you don't mind "no think" TV, this will keep one will keep you occupied! And the commentary is hysterical. John Hanson has that "dry" delivery down pat.

Well, if you like the reality shows...I've always enjoyed Big Brother during the summers. Kind of like Survivor, except the wimmins can take showers every day and wear bikini's around the house all day. :wacko:

I'm completely lost. I can't stand reality shows. For the longest time, there were three shows I would watch: The Wire, South Park, and Earl. Two have since been cancelled. The only other show I'm starting to take a liking to is Two and a Half Men. It is a lot funnier than I anticipated.

I just don't know what happened. It seems like there are only four different shows out there, on five days a week.

I'm just so happy there is such thing as The Golf Channel.

Dude... if you haven't seen Rescue Me, that needs to be at the top of the list. :wacko: Phenomenal show, with the perfect mix of comedy and "real" issues. Seriously, I watched the first two seasons on blue ray in less than a week... like 4 hours on average per night, until I was done. I then curled up into the fetal position until season 3 came out on disc, and proceeded to burn through that in no time. Then, back into withdrawal until the new season started about six weeks ago. It was a withdrawal I can only compare to the NFL season ending... you can watch other shows/sports until it starts back up, but nothing quite gives you that "fix" that you're missing.

Oh, and I hate to admit it, but my wife and I still watch the Real World shows/challenges religiously. :D

werd- Rescue Me is off the charts - one of my favorite shows over the past 4-5 years- an absolute must watch.

Ultimate Fighter

How I Met Your Mother

Southland - new LA cop chow on NBC I am digging it.

New Season of WIPEOUT started this week. I couldn't stop laughing with the new obstacles the put in. I was almost in tears. If you don't mind "no think" TV, this will keep one will keep you occupied! And the commentary is hysterical. John Hanson has that "dry" delivery down pat.

We watched this the other day. I chuckled. My 10 year old nearly peed himself laughing.