[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Riffraff

I was pretty juiced about it under one thought just entered my head.....if they can create these Avatars out of human/alien DNA and let someone control it with their minds....then why can't they fix dude's legs???? Big time hole that just took all of the wind out of its sails 4 me.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was pretty juiced about it under one thought just entered my head.....if they can create these Avatars out of human/alien DNA and let someone control it with their minds....then why can't they fix dude's legs???? Big time hole that just took all of the wind out of its sails 4 me.

Apparently they CAN, they just hold it over his head as part of the deal. I seem to recall a commercial that showed that, the main soldier dude was saying, "You pull this off, and we'll give you your legs back, your REAL legs."

• 4 weeks later...
Apparently they CAN, they just hold it over his head as part of the deal. I seem to recall a commercial that showed that, the main soldier dude was saying, "You pull this off, and we'll give you your legs back, your REAL legs."

And in a very realistic twist . . even in the future health care costs are out of control . . . :wacko:

This flick looks epic. I may have to break my own rule of avoiding opening weekend crowds for this one. My boys are excited to see it too.

... and if it is ja ja binks and his ilk, I hope the invaders wipe them out. I hated that obnoxious freak...

The second trailer posted in the first link pretty much gives us the whole movie.

Special effects strike me as being in line with what exists today, don't see anything revolutionary about it. Story seems completely cookie cutter.

Guy who is hired to quell the enemy/resistance/animals/aliens realizes they are more human than 'his' side. Ends up in an epic car chase/war sequence.

YAWN.

The Matrix was indeed a revolutionary movie in terms of special effects, but also was good scriptwise.

This seems to have neither.

All the sequences I saw seemed to have the same attitude of aFinal Fantasy video game. Overdoing the theatrics and the dramatic viewpoints. Just because you can.

Not a chance....

The second trailer posted in the first link pretty much gives us the whole movie.

Special effects strike me as being in line with what exists today, don't see anything revolutionary about it. Story seems completely cookie cutter.

Guy who is hired to quell the enemy/resistance/animals/aliens realizes they are more human than 'his' side. Ends up in an epic car chase/war sequence.

YAWN.

The Matrix was indeed a revolutionary movie in terms of special effects, but also was good scriptwise.

This seems to have neither.

All the sequences I saw seemed to have the same attitude of aFinal Fantasy video game. Overdoing the theatrics and the dramatic viewpoints. Just because you can.

Not a chance....

::sigh:: French.

:wacko:

Liked it a lot.

I really did too. I've heard a lot of people are complaining that it's all effects, no plot but I actually enjoyed the plot - not the greatest thing I've ever seen, but plenty entertaining. As for the effects, I also thought they were outstanding. Usually when I've seen movies that have a lot of CG, I find it incredibly distracting, particularly when it has live action mixed with CG - the CG just always looks so cartoonish and distracts me from the storyline (the new Star Wars trilogy, and the Spider Man trilogy are good examples of this). However, I never once was distracted by the CG in Avatar. I thought that the Navi (sp?) were very lifelike and the times that there was live action mixed with CG, it didn't look like an out of place cartoon mixed in with real people. I also saw the 3-D version, and that aspect was very solid as well. Granted, I have not seen a 3-D movie since around the mid 80s when you used to have to buy a Slurpee at the 7-11 to get those red and blue glasses for the flick, but man has the technology come a long way since then. My only complaint was that with such a long movie (about 3 hours with the trailers), my eyes kind of started to burn and water and it was kind of hard to wipe them with the glasses on. I'm glad I saw it in 3-D, just so I could see the technological advances that have been made there, but honestly I don't think it is really necessary to see the film in 3-D, and if I saw the movie again (which I just might), I probably will just see it on a normal screen. Still, definitely a solid and recommended way to spend a couple of hours with the little woman. :D

3D is a must, imo. very rich and brought things to another level. this is just a spectacle to see. the plot is of course predictable, but it's fun getting there. a bit of the matrix, a bit of dances with wolves, and a whole lotta ferngully.

for how this thing is made, however, you just gotta see it.

. As for the effects, I also thought they were outstanding. Usually when I've seen movies that have a lot of CG, I find it incredibly distracting, particularly when it has live action mixed with CG - the CG just always looks so cartoonish and distracts me from the storyline (the new Star Wars trilogy, and the Spider Man trilogy are good examples of this). However, I never once was distracted by the CG in Avatar.

This stood out to me the most. You watch Attack of the Clones and you know you're watching a cartoon because there's a certain "flatness" about it. Not so here. In fact, the effects and 3D worked best (I thought) during the quieter moments: when you had bugs flying all around and you could really take in the depth of detail.

Story was surprisingly mediocre for a Cameron movie. He had a nice ensemble cast but they were pushed to the side in favor of the FX moreso than in past Cameron films. The Dances with Wolves comparisons are spot on.

I can't believe Jar Jar Binks got his own spin off movie before Boba Fett. :D

:wacko: Gimme a break. Boba Fett is the most overrated character EVER.

He was a clone of his father who clearly wasn't very bright since he allowed a clone army to be made of him for the low low price of his own clone and a room at the end of the galaxy.

Jango Fett wasn't even good enough to perform his own contract, but instead subcontracted it out to a bounty hunter who still couldn't get the job done, thus blowing his cover.

Boba Fett couldn't capture Solo himself, he needed Vader's help.

Then, he got killed by a blind Solo who sent him reeling into a giant sand anus.

Finally, all the stormtroopers are clones of Jango/Boba yet they consistently cannot hit the broad side of a barn, just like Jango in his fight with Obi Wan in episode 2.

Why do you think he's cool?

Edited by Pope Flick

I saw it with Muckette on Saturday; predictable story very well told. The technology was amazing (saw it in 3D ... the "RealD" version, not the "IMAX" version).

I sat next to a guy who's in the middle of some sort of "3D Audio" headset for increased auditory sensations during movies and other events (both live and otherwise) -- fwiw, he thinks his technology would have impact on guys in the stands watching an NFL game where you could hear what was actually going on on the field, hear the hits, etc.

Anyhow, Avatar was a good flick worth seeing.

He was a clone of his father who clearly wasn't very bright since he allowed a clone army to be made of him for the low low price of his own clone and a room at the end of the galaxy.

Jango Fett wasn't even good enough to perform his own contract, but instead subcontracted it out to a bounty hunter who still couldn't get the job done, thus blowing his cover.

Then, he got killed by a blind Solo who sent him reeling into a giant sand anus.

Finally, all the stormtroopers are clones of Jango/Boba yet they consistently cannot hit the broad side of a barn, just like Jango in his fight with Obi Wan in episode 2.

+1

Windows: You guys both got to stop perpetuating this myth that Boba Fett is some kind of bad-ass. All right? He has a jet pack. So did the Rocketeer. Really cool. When it comes time for battle, the man's Michael Bay - all style, no substance.

Hutch: If you diss the Fett again, I will corn-hole you with a lightsaber!

- Fanboys

Edited by electricrelish

Windows: You guys both got to stop perpetuating this myth that Boba Fett is some kind of bad-ass. All right? He has a jet pack. So did the Rocketeer. Really cool. When it comes time for battle, the man's Michael Bay - all style, no substance.

Hutch: If you diss the Fett again, I will corn-hole you with a lightsaber!

- Fanboys

Awesome, never saw it but will now. :wacko:

Movie has bad language. kids cant see it .

bummer spend 300 million on a movie and kids cant go see it.

About a dozen s-words. Also, 10 misuses of God’s name (including six or seven pairings with "d‑‑n") and three abuses of Jesus’ name. We hear roughly 20 other profanities ("h‑‑‑," "a‑‑," "b‑‑ch," "b‑‑tard," "p‑‑‑") and three crude references to the male anatomy ("d‑‑k" among them).

About a dozen s-words. Also, 10 misuses of God’s name (including six or seven pairings with "d‑‑n") and three abuses of Jesus’ name. We hear roughly 20 other profanities ("h‑‑‑," "a‑‑," "b‑‑ch," "b‑‑tard," "p‑‑‑") and three crude references to the male anatomy ("d‑‑k" among them).

i took my 10yo and wasn't a problem. :wacko:

he knows there are bad words out there ... he heard worse watching bengals hard knocks. he loved this movie!!!

i wouldn't go much younger than 10 not because of the language, but because of the intense scenes with the pandora monsters.

But McDonald's has Avatar toys in their Happy Meals, so it MUST be ok for kids, right? Just like the Dark Knight. :wacko:

Awesome, I cant wait to have a kid and let him see this around 10 years old.