[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Riffraff

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone see both the IMAX 3D and the digital 3D version?

Liked one better than the other?

Same thing just IMAX version is on a bigger screen?

So, I've seen both now. Pretty much a wash and both were great. Some things were better Imax and some better regular 3D IMO. So, whatever is available should be fine.

Of course the IMAX I went to was just an oversized screen in a regular theater and much smaller than some IMAX I have seen at museums, etc. If you have one of those super big screens nearby then that would be the ticket!

More about the IMAX screen size:

<a href="http://azizisbored.tumblr.com/post/106587114/reblog-the-when I wore my first dress-out-of-this-warning-amc-theaters-are" target="_blank">Be careful what you pay for</a>

Good post. Nice to know info.

Watched Avatar twice now, both on the largest IMAX screen in Washington state. It's a Regal theater.

Edited by Riffraff

If you value writing, acting and storyline more so than sci-fi and effects, wait for video. I mean, it wasn't terrible, but the 21st century's version of Star Wars as it has been dubbed, it certainly is not.

If you value writing, acting and storyline more so than sci-fi and effects, wait for video. I mean, it wasn't terrible, but the 21st century's version of Star Wars as it has been dubbed, it certainly is not.

Um, I'm as big a Star Wars fan as I know, but if you value writing or acting above all else, then Star Wars probably isn't your thing anyway. :wacko:

Edited by Skrappy1

Um, I'm as big a Star Wars fan as I know, but if you value writing or acting above all else, then Star Wars probably isn't your thing anyway. :wacko:

Correct, I'm not a huge Star Wars guy, but I can see the value in the story. The plot could suck you in.

if there is ANY movie that needs to be seen in the theater and NOT on dvd, this is it - real cool experience in 3D

• 2 weeks later...
effects look sort of cool

storyline of "western society bad, native society good" seems sort of trite to me

Yeah, having JUST seen it, it's been done before and the "magical native" angle just gets old.

I saw it in 3D today and was blown away by the technical advances and artistry of the film. Cameron's taken film to a whole new realm. Despite the 2D characterizations and familiar storyline and weird assimilation of Native Americans and Africans for the indigenous characters, I still liked it. My g/f did not. The first thing she did was express disbelief that it won a Golden Globe for Best Motion Picture Drama. She thought the script wasn't all that, but the movie still got to me. Now, I've got the Avatar depression syndrome.. Here's a good example.

Edited by electricrelish

• 2 weeks later...

Saw this movie last night in 3D. Visually stunning but(as others have mentioned in this thread) the story was anything but. Looked to me like Cameron took his favorite themes from other films(mainly Dances With Wolves and The Matrix) put them in a blender with a couple hugh scoops of CGI, blended it all up and called it Avatar. Wasnt expecting much more than that, but still disappointed at how predictable it really was. By the end, I found myself sitting there thinking more of the scenes from other movies that were jacked and put in this one than what was actually happening on the screen.

Other than the 3D/effects, this one was a :wacko:

Saw this movie last night in 3D. Visually stunning but(as others have mentioned in this thread) the story was anything but. Looked to me like Cameron took his favorite themes from other films(mainly Dances With Wolves and The Matrix) put them in a blender with a couple hugh scoops of CGI, blended it all up and called it Avatar. Wasnt expecting much more than that, but still disappointed at how predictable it really was. By the end, I found myself sitting there thinking more of the scenes from other movies that were jacked and put in this one than what was actually happening on the screen.

Other than the 3D/effects, this one was a :wacko:

Just saw it tonight for the first time with Mrs HR. I pretty much agree with DB's take. I kept thinking of the other movies also. One of my favorite lines came early. "Don't play with that or you'll go blind." Had to explain it to the missus.

Don't know if I'd see it again.

Edited by The Holy Roller

Dances With Wolves + Return of the Jedi + Matrix = Avatar.

Plot was extremely predictable. Ya knew he was gonna go from informant to Na'vi lover. You knew he was gonna fall for the chief's daughter. As soon as she said only 5 Na'vi have ever rode one of the big red pterodactyl things, you knew Jake was gonna. And you knew the Na'vi were gonna win.

But I didn't go for the story as much as the 3D and special effects experience. The world of Pandora created in this movie is amazing. I saw it in 3D and IMAX 3D. I actually thought the 3D was better on the smaller screen, but it's definitely worth seeing in IMAX. Don't wait for the DVD, cause the story has been done before. See it how it was meant to be seen. Probably about 10 cuss words. I took my kids. They loved it. It's Star Wars-type violence at worst.

Edited by CaptainHook

• 1 month later...

Saw it in real 3D this weekend with my wife..we both enjoyed it...she didn't really want to see it at all so she was surprised at just how much she did enjoy it...I really only wanted to see it for the effects but was pleasantly surprised with the entire movie...the 3D is cool in that it is more immersive than just things coming at you but there were also times where I thought the 3D took away from the movie too...it was visually stunning and in HD will be amazing but the 3D parts were a bit "soft", imo