[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Gang green....

Rovers

I am sure glad you are okay. I love this unique Huddle community. I was blown away to see so much love, care, and support.

I do hope you think about the possible future health issues from smoking and drinking, and see this as a wake up call!

I hope you have a quick recovery and are back on your feet soon.

Edited by Sugar Magnolia

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am sure glad you are okay. I love this unique Huddle community. I was blown away to see so much love, care, and support.

I do hope you think about the possible future health issues from smoking and drinking, and see this as a wake up call!

I hope you have a quick recovery and are back on your feet soon.

I have been trying to quit smoking really, really hard. I was addicted to tobacco when I was concieved. My Mom smoked during her pregnancy (back then the dangers were not understood) and both parents smoked. I had my first cigarette when I was 11 or 12. Drinking isn't such a problem... I can cut way down or stop completely very easilly. I have already done that since this happened. Smoking... after an hour and a half without it, I begin to shake. Seriously. I'll keep working on it but at least I know the problems I just had were not circulatory, so it wasn't caused by smoking. Wasn't diabetes either. Just bizarrely big blood blisters which covered more than half of my big toes and that bone splinter. The VA will give me some prosthetic inserts for my work boots which should help this from recurring.

So, Jellies, THERE you are! Yep, I was looking to see what you were up too. Hadn't seen you around.

Couldn't work yesterday either, and now it's the rain and the hurricane. I'll have to hire some help and get caught up on Monday and Tuesday.

Things sure went very well for me here, and no doubt in my mind the good vibes and prayers I recieved from Huddlers helped, not to mention getting the kick in the butt I needed to do something.

If there is EVER anything I can do for another Huddler... I surely will, and hope at some point I can return some favors.

I have been trying to quit smoking really, really hard. I was addicted to tobacco when I was concieved. My Mom smoked during her pregnancy (back then the dangers were not understood) and both parents smoked. I had my first cigarette when I was 11 or 12. Drinking isn't such a problem... I can cut way down or stop completely very easilly. I have already done that since this happened. Smoking... after an hour and a half without it, I begin to shake. Seriously. I'll keep working on it but at least I know the problems I just had were not circulatory, so it wasn't caused by smoking. Wasn't diabetes either. Just bizarrely big blood blisters which covered more than half of my big toes and that bone splinter. The VA will give me some prosthetic inserts for my work boots which should help this from recurring.

So, Jellies, THERE you are! Yep, I was looking to see what you were up too. Hadn't seen you around.

Couldn't work yesterday either, and now it's the rain and the hurricane. I'll have to hire some help and get caught up on Monday and Tuesday.

Things sure went very well for me here, and no doubt in my mind the good vibes and prayers I recieved from Huddlers helped, not to mention getting the kick in the butt I needed to do something.

If there is EVER anything I can do for another Huddler... I surely will, and hope at some point I can return some favors.

Is there something the VA cam do tp help you quit? Nicotene patches (is this a prescription?) or other types of help? My parents were smokers and my dad died of lung cancer. Both smoked a couple of packs a day since they were 15 years old, and were able to quit. It was hard, but they did it when they were in their 70's. Good luck and I hope it happens for you for your long term health.

Edited by Sugar Magnolia

Is there something the VA cam do tp help you quit? Nicotene patches (is this a prescription?) or other types of help? My parents were smokers and my dad died of lung cancer. Both smoked a couple of packs a day since they were 15 years old, and were able to quit. It was hard, but they did it when they were in their 70's. Good luck and I hope it happens for you for your long term health.

I've tried patches, nicotine gum, etc etc. Now that I have health care :wacko: I would like to try that centrax stuff, or whatever it's called. The VA is supposed to call me and set up an appointment with a primary care doctor... then I will talk to him about getting the basil cell carcinoma surgery that I need, and see about the smoking thing too. I paid a dermatologist out of pocket this past winter, and the biopsies were positive for basil cell skin cancer. Just could not afford that surgery, but now... :D So, this whole crazy sequence of events has actually been a real Godsend.

I am very lucky... and blessed. I feel for people in my situation in this country who are working but have no medical care. What the heck are they gonna do? I don't know much about the entire Obama plan, but this country is ranked like 36th in in the world in terms of health care, right there with CUBA! I don't know how it can be done, but it has to get done one way or another.

After just one trip to a VA hospital, I feel my health care is better than it was when I was insured. Since those doctors are on payroll, they could spend more time with patients. Insurers never pay what the doctors bill services at, they cut those fees by like 60%. That means the doctors have to see twice as many patients. Seems to me the health care insurers are getting rich, and do everything they can to drop people when they become ill.

I'm no fan of that fat guy, Micheal Mohrer, or whatever his name is, but his film on health care was an eye popper. There was a woman who had cancer, and was dropped for failing to report a simple yeast infection that occured like ten years prior as a pre-existing condition... to cancer? How dirty can these companies get? They even bought off Hillary, previously their arch-enemy, who has proven to be just another pol who has no morals.

I got very lucky. Lots of people haven't gotten so lucky. I have no idea how to get this fixed, but it really does have to get fixed. I read that about 85,000 people in this country die every year because of no health care. That is sad... and for a while there, I thought I might become one of them.

I have always just bulled my way through things, like a snow plow in a blizzard. Then, I put my trust in God.... I'm no bible beatin fanatic. I just do go to church and pray, and have faith (most of the time) and when things seem bleakest... somehow or another...it always seems works out.

The folks here at the Huddle.... what can I say? You are collectively another blessing in my life. I needed a kick in the azzz.... came here and got what I needed. I have a tendency to ignore things, be in denial, and just keep putting one foot in front of the other instead of facing up and doing what I can to improve my situation. I tried to get VA benefits via the mail before.... got nowhere. I was approved at the hospital in like 20 minutes. Should have done that 2 years ago.

When I was in the service, I got spit on in airports. Had drinks thrown in my face in pubs, just because of my haircut... anyone with short hair in those days was military. Little did I know it would all be worth it so many years later.

Thanks again to all of you... and very happy to be able to finish this thread with good news, when it could have been so bad. :D

Thanks for your service :wacko: and I am super glad you are okay and recovering!

Treat your customers like friends, let them know what is going on, and they will stick by you, I guarantee it. Mention you had the work done at the VA, and you get that veteran bennie, there, too.

Sound advice here

might be worth your while to find some chump to do the mowing for you for a few days or until your wheel feels better. even if you were there making sure everything was up to snuff and/or trimming or something, at least you wouldn't be putting 5 miles on the foot. be a cash hit short term but it might be worth it.

And here

Sound advice here

And here

Called all my customers today. Very little whining. I will indeed get a helper for Monday and Tuesday, although it sin't legal.... I have to do it to get caught up. I think it will also help with customer perception. The beauty of running your own biz.... the freedom to do what has to be done when it has to be done. That is the great part about our country.... the health care thing is the down part.

Bottom line is I have always been reliable, and the best at what I do. That gives me some leeway with customers. I also tend to try to be less business and more of a good neighboor with them, and with most of them, that works for them and for me. My relationship with them is such that I could be honest about what happened, and for the most part, they were all thrilled I now had medical coverage. Aside from my work quality.... they like me. :wacko:

might be worth your while to find some chump to do the mowing for you for a few days or until your wheel feels better. even if you were there making sure everything was up to snuff and/or trimming or something, at least you wouldn't be putting 5 miles on the foot. be a cash hit short term but it might be worth it.

FYI, I am NOT available, nor am I a chump.

Aside from my work quality.... they like me. :wacko:

You must be a lot different to your Huddle persona then. :D:D:D

No, seriously, people are pretty reasonable if they're dealt with honestly. And if you lose the odd chalupa, well, so what?

Edited by Ursa Majoris

You must be a lot different to your Huddle persona then. :D:D:D

No, seriously, people are pretty reasonable if they're dealt with honestly. And if you lose the odd chalupa, well, so what?

Hey... nobody likes me. That's why it's so wierd! :wacko::D

Hey... nobody likes me. That's why it's so wierd! :D:D

Pay no mind to Ursa. Nobody else does! :wacko::D

Glad to see you are BACK and kicking ass!

God Bless you. Ya gotta love this place. Wierdos, wackos, deviant minds, and alll... At least you have Bros and Sis's to get you thru.

Any time my friend you need anything...ANYTIME!

rr26

Pay no mind to Ursa. Nobody else does! :D:D

Glad to see you are BACK and kicking ass!

God Bless you. Ya gotta love this place. Wierdos, wackos, deviant minds, and alll... At least you have Bros and Sis's to get you thru.

Any time my friend you need anything...ANYTIME!

rr26

LOL.... I know Ursa is shootin blanks! He's droppin seltzer bottles as bombs. Besides, I know his post was in jest.... did I have to admit that? I know some people like me.... :D I think! :D I'd bet if I were in a jam, and he could help, Ursa would be at the front of the line. He wouldn't be happy, but he'd be there just like most of the Huddlers.

Ursa.... I still love Bobby Sands. Want to revisit that one? :wacko::2cents: do you remember that discussion? From like 3 years ago? LOL...

RR.... like several people in this thread have said, we can argue, debate, disagree, even get testy... nasty even, but when the chips are down, a Huddler is a Huddler. Time and time again, we have helped each other as much as we could. I have been on the recieving side far more than the other. I owe you, and his community big time. I await the chance to help others here. Still regret i could not get down to the gulf coast after the hurricane. I surely wanted to. I will have to wait to repay instead.

Yup Tom.... when my family was away, I came to my second family in time of crisis. God bless you my brother... you know I love you. You have a heart of gold.... and anyone that has been here for any time at all know that. :2cents: Yer a gem.

LOL.... I know Ursa is shootin blanks! He's droppin seltzer bottles as bombs. Besides, I know his post was in jest.... did I have to admit that? I know some people like me.... :D I think! :D I'd bet if I were in a jam, and he could help, Ursa would be at the front of the line. He wouldn't be happy, but he'd be there just like most of the Huddlers.

Ursa.... I still love Bobby Sands. Want to revisit that one? :wacko::D do you remember that discussion? From like 3 years ago? LOL...

:D5 years ago

Almost right - I would be happy.

Ursa.... I still love Bobby Sands. Want to revisit that one?

Good God, no. :wacko:

Big John, you are amazing... but that thread did get ugly. That fued led to some later reprecussions that well, frankly , made an awful ot of people pretty angry with me. I think some of them still are. :wacko: I got a lot of heat about that... almost left the Huddle and never came back. I wish I had handled that in a different way, my buttons got pushed intentionally and I took the bait. I handled it poorly, but still don't feel like I deserved the heat I got for that. 5 years ago... still seems like it was a a couple of years ago, not 5. But at least for me, water under the bridge, although it does remain fresh in my memory. A regrettable sequence of events. It left marks. It cost me some friends here. I can't change history. What happened happened.

Ursa... I know you would help a Huddler, even me :D and be happy to do so... just some sarcastic humor. And I don't EVER post here about Ireland, the troubles, Bobby Sands or 9/11 any more. I am too emotionally involved in those topics, and learned I am much better off to avoid discussing them. Funny though, you DID Remember that "discussion"! I recall that in another thread we did both come to some middle ground on the whole Ireland thing.

Big John, you are amazing... but that thread did get ugly. That fued led to some later reprecussions that well, frankly , made an awful ot of people pretty angry with me. I think some of them still are. :wacko: I got a lot of heat about that... almost left the Huddle and never came back. I wish I had handled that in a different way, my buttons got pushed intentionally and I took the bait. I handled it poorly, but still don't feel like I deserved the heat I got for that. 5 years ago... still seems like it was a a couple of years ago, not 5. But at least for me, water under the bridge, although it does remain fresh in my memory. A regrettable sequence of events. It left marks. It cost me some friends here. I can't change history. What happened happened.

Ursa... I know you would help a Huddler, even me :D and be happy to do so... just some sarcastic humor. And I don't EVER post here about Ireland, the troubles, Bobby Sands or 9/11 any more. I am too emotionally involved in those topics, and learned I am much better off to avoid discussing them. Funny though, you DID Remember that "discussion"! I recall that in another thread we did both come to some middle ground on the whole Ireland thing.

H8 called you a limey in that thread. :D:D:D

H8 called you a limey in that thread. :wacko::D:D

I know.... I had an IRA hit paid for on him for than insult alone, but recinded orders soon after. Me.... a limey! :D:D I could say something else here.... but better judgement tells me not to!

weigie.... That was in jest. I have some very very solid friends here, and I know it, now more than ever. That was why I came here when all this started, with my family away on vacation at Cape Cod. The Huddle is my second family.... and like most families, not without some bumps along the road. I think some of the people that miight have still been a little angry with me before this thread have come to forgive. Not naming names, but at least I hope in a time of crisis, these few folks, some who even posted in this thread can come to let the past be the past.

There is one very respected Huddler who thinks I'm dog poopy, but has far too much class to ever say it. He, and I believe some others. when my personal chit storm at the Huddle went down never heard my side of the story. I just shut up, as I had already been convicted. I never really tried to defend myself. R Robin did, but few listened. I guess I still in some way want to justify myself, but it's far too late for that. Only being the man I respect in the mirror and being who I am over a long period of time might ever change their minds. Obviously, I still care about what these folks think of me. They are Huddlers. I am a Huddler. I'd help any one of them like family if I had the chance. Even the ones who might still think badly of me. That is what being a Huddler has come to mean to me.