[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Property Tax Rates by state...

rocknrobn26

OMG, that cesspool NJ is #1? Who REALLY wants to live there?

The state employees that have to work like 38 weeks before receiving full pension with cost of living increases pension for the rest of their lives. Why do you think NJ is always the highest in every tax bracket and still broke?

I have told my wife that I would move from NJ but family obligations would make that very difficult. If I move Ill move right next door to a huddler. I shed :wacko:

Edited by whomper

I'm shocked Texas isn't higher. True it ranks #1 as a percentage of home value, but #14 in property taxes paid. That is pretty impressive when you consider there is not income tax.

well with a median home value of $126,800 - only so much blood you can get out of those turnips..............

that just means you have a bunch of crappy, shoddily-constucted homes in Texas that aren't worth a crap.

Granted some residential contractors can be shoddy it is no worse here than in other parts of the country, it has more to do with our property values not being crazily over valued like in other places. Also, people still live in most of the houses here instead of abandoning cities.

Edited by Perchoutofwater

Wiegie, you are right, I mean it is only the 15th largest economy in the world.

Plantations in the south used to be pretty profitable too. Doesn't mean they weren't full of shacks to house the slaves/working folk while the owners sat pretty in their mansions. :wacko:

Plantations in the south used to be pretty profitable too. Doesn't mean they weren't full of shacks to house the slaves/working folk while the owners sat pretty in their mansions. :wacko:

They were until the Morrill Tariffs were passed, after that the cost of goods in the south skyrocketed and foreign trade virtually ceased as foreign nations started putting high tariffs on Southern goods in response to the Northern protectionist government. :D

Edited by Perchoutofwater

FWIW...I live in DuPage county as does BPwallce and our/my taxes are double what the info I posted states. BUT 66% goes to the schools and I have no problem w/ that! $7K on a $300K house. Too many farm areas? :wacko:

Just thought the link was interesting.

Just thought the link was interesting.

C'mon rr, you should know anytime you mention "taxes" the usual suspects are going to get their nuts all a-twitter.

I love Texas!! Affordable housing, low cost of living, no state income tax means you can deduct sales taxes on your fed tax return. Plus it's home to the Dallas Cowboys and the best BBQ in the country!

It often balances out depending on how states want to distribute taxes. You have to look at the entire tax bill--propery, sales and state taxes.

Here in OR we are ranked 17th in property taxes but have no sales tax. We were considering moving to NC, rated 35th in property taxes, but state taxes were very high. If you are basing your relocation on how you spend your money, then it probably has some meaning. For example, our retirement income is much lower than when we were working, (especially in 08 and 09!!), but we would have bought around a 500-700 K house if we had moved to NC. So, if we were just looking at that portion of our cost of living, NC might have been a better choice of a place to live. Low property taxes would benefit us, and high state taxes would not be as much of an issue, except it is important to preserve as much net worth as we can. We have no sales tax in OR, but we aren't big purchasers of consumer goods anyway.

Also look at city taxes. If you live in the rural county a few miles outside the city limits, you don't have to pay city taxes.

They were until the Morrill Tariffs were passed, after that the cost of goods in the south skyrocketed and foreign trade virtually ceased as foreign nations started putting high tariffs on Southern goods in response to the Northern protectionist government because they weren't completely morally bankrupt. :wacko:

Fixed for accuracy.