[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

the lady wants 2get a dog for Xmas..for 9yr son

AFRO

OK Ladies and Gentz...

We have been living together for nearly a year. As noted, my girl would like to get a dog for her son as a Christmas present.

But I have the strong feeling this will be more of MY project; then just a "gift" for her son, he is 9 afterall..Thus, I get the feeling I will be doing most of the training and be the 'Alpha' influence on the dog..

She wants to get a Goldendoodle (part Gldn.Retriever -dad- and Poodle -mom- mix) she caught wind that they just had a litter of Uber-cute pups;

and this type should be good for my alergies since they dont shed and coats arent long. (thanks poodle!)

now she has asked me for my input on the subject, but I can just tell this is the only dog she wants.. (this is not my first choice however, or 2nd or even 3rd..) but I cant say she didnt ask me.

I have all kinds of allergies and would prefer a shorter haired dog, but that is just me.. I have had dogs when I was younger and I am confident I will be a good owner and trainer..

I cant help but feel like I should have more say in the type, since I will be doing the underlying raising of said dog. (daily walks, behavior classes if need be, setting the boundries, socializing.. and the like)

addidional info.

I do have a large yard, but it is not fenced in (nor do I plan to erect one; thinking the invisible fence if need be) so there should be pleanty of room to roam and rhomp..I would rather em stay in the house as it gets cold in our neck of the woods in the winter season..

My prefrences are

50-80 lbs (no toy dogs here!) or bigger maybe up to 100lbs (probably a female)

Shorter hair (Pinscher, Boxer, Bull Terrier types come to mind)

House/Family type dog. should be good with children..

Her prefs are (well she pretty much wants a goldendoodle! :wacko: )

Bigger than a toy dog, but not a HUGE dog around 50lbs

she wants some hair to pet! (and seems very opposed to short hair dogs)

I may be able to talk her out of the goldendoodle (I guess I can settle on this type though)

She wants to know something rather soon so we can make arrangements in the next few weeks, (If I recall they need to be w/mom for aobut 5 weeks anyhow) and get a temp sitter if need be till Christmas..but I think we have a buddy lined up for that

does anyone have any thing they can contribute to thoughts on a dog type, and pros/cons of that type..dog needs etc..

What are some of you-alls favorite dog types?

Have you considered asking the Tailgate to weigh in on the pros and cons of a pitt bull?

:wacko:

Just kidding. If you want a short haired dog that is good with kids, but big enough to be useful for home defense, consider a Weimaraner. I've got two and they're wonderful. They're certainly "people" dogs, though. You can't just lock them in the house for 12 hours a day all by themselves and expect them to stay sane.

Edited by yo mama

Just kidding. If you want a short haired dog that is good with kids, but big enough to be useful for home defense, consider a Weimaraner. I've got two and they're wonderful. They're certainly "people" dogs, though. You can't just lock them in the house for 12 hours a day all by themselves and expect them to stay sane.

That's a good choice. Beautiful dogs, too.

:wacko: As Hugh one has.

That's a good choice. Beautiful dogs, too.

And you can get pure breds from Weimaraner rescue programs around the county, for basically the cost of the dogs shots and the short term medical care to make them adoptable.

AFRO, that's actually a good angel you can play with your lady: you can adopt a dog that needs a home because it would otherwise be put down. Its the humane thing to do, and the breed just "happens" to be the kind that you want.

Edited by yo mama

A few general observations that appear to be contradictory, the final point should drive it home:

* Purebred dogs are (supposed to be) bred by responsible owners with a keen eye towards achieving a consistent temperment and a consistent phenotype (i.e., the skeletal structure underneath the skin). When an irresponsible breeder goes for some sort of new fancy breed (a goldendoodle, etc), they are NOT breeding to achieve a consistent temperment or phenotype. The consistent temperment is the key ingredient when chosing a family dog (imo). As a result of this, I would NEVER acquire (whether free or not) a dog from someone who is trying to do anything other than achieve a consistent temperment / personality for my family. A dog without dander but a schitzo personality or hip displasia (and hugh vet bills) is not a good idea.

* Mixed dogs are two purebred dogs having a litter (i.e., a chihuahua and a great dane). Mutts are a combination of at least three different breeds (i.e., a chihuahua/dane X bulldog/beagle). Mutts and mixed breeds can be GREAT family dogs. They can also be crazy and unsafe or structurally unsound (and very expensive). Anecdotal evidence does not change the truth of these two facts.

* Unless a breeder has breed multiple generations of (in your case) goldendoodle with an eye towards temperment and conformation to a specific skeletal structure (i.e., phenotype), they are simply trying to sell a mix breed at a price that is higher than they'd get for either of their purebreed litters. Designer dogs exist as a marketing ploy by irreputable breeders to line their pocket. They are not committed to the excellence of a particular breed. Do not buy a designer dog. Said another way, if the pup your girl wants to buy for her son is out of a litter of two "goldendoodle" parents and each of those parents had goldendoodle parents, etc (i.e., the dogs going back at least five generations were all "goldendoodle") ... AND ... the breeder only bred the "goldendoodle" dogs that had the desired temperments ... then MAYBE do I actually pay for a dog like this. I'm guessing that this lady had a poodle and put her golden retriever on her and decided to try to sell pups for several hundred (if not more than a thousand) when she'd have been lucky to get a couple hundred dollars for a litter of purebred poodles or purebred golden retrievers.

* If you do not want to pay for a purebred dog with a top-flight pedigree, that is more than fine. A dog with a top-flight lineage is expensive. Do not buy a dog from someone that has a kajillion dogs (i.e., a back-yard-breeder / puppy mill). Do not buy a dog from someone that cannot discuss the genetics of the breed in a rational manner. If you want to get something other than a purebred dog, get a mixed breed dog or mutt (as defined above) from the kennel / pound. DO NOT BUY THEM FROM BREEDERS. It encourages monetary behavior that can be contrary to your family's interest.

* DO A TON OF RESEARCH ON THE DOG BREED BEFORE BUYING / ADOPTING. SURPRISES ARE BAD.

Good luck.

:wacko:

Edited by muck

Ah yes, the Ford 150 of dogs.

ETA: not meant as an insult, and I'm sorry about the loss of your dog. 15 years is good long spell for any hound, though. :wacko:

nun taken and she was a great hunter and family dog. She did a lot of what she liked doing and that was chasen birds.

And you can get pure breds from Weimaraner rescue programs around the county, for basically the cost of the dogs shots and the short term medical care to make them adoptable.

AFRO, that's actually a good angel you can play with your lady: you can adopt a dog that needs a home because it would otherwise be put down. Its the humane thing to do, and the breed just "happens" to be the kind that you want.

Rescue can be a REALLY great idea.

You can also get stuck with very expensive dogs that need lots of vet bills and/or have severe temperment issues. The younger the kids the bigger this potential issue.

I have 2 goldendoodles. They are sisters. One is 77 pounds one is 93. I have 2 duaghters 6 and 8. We have had these dogs for about 3 years . They are excellent dogs with my girls. Never ever have they ever shown any aggressive behavior around the kids. My girls were 3 and 5 when we got them and as little kids do sometimes they would grab at the dogs or pull on them and the dogs would simply walk away.

They dont shed. Luckily they have the poodle hair. We keep them shaved. Their hair gets long and kinky like a poodle but when we grrom them we just shave them down.

Golden retrievers and Standard poodles are both very smart breeds but also both very hyper. We had a trainer come and teach me how to teach them to do all the commands and all of that and they learned them pretty quickly. My only problem with these dogs is that they are very very hyper. They will maul you with affection if you walk into my house. I have to go Munoz style in front of my guests and pass block for a minute or 2 until they settle down. That is my only real complaint and honestly it is partly my fault because I dont walk them. I have a nice sized fenced in yard that I let them run around in but apparently they have energy to spare.

I would recommend these dogs for sure but keep the crazy energy hyper factor in mind.

as pups

between 1 and 2

I have 2 goldendoodles. They are sisters. One is 77 pounds one is 93. I have 2 duaghters 6 and 8. We have had these dogs for about 3 years . They are excellent dogs with my girls. Never ever have they ever shown any aggressive behavior around the kids. My girls were 3 and 5 when we got them and as little kids do sometimes they would grab at the dogs or pull on them and the dogs would simply walk away.

They dont shed. Luckily they have the poodle hair. We keep them shaved. Their hair gets long and kinky like a poodle but when we grrom them we just shave them down.

Golden retrievers and Standard poodles are both very smart breeds but also both very hyper. We had a trainer come and teach me how to teach them to do all the commands and all of that and they learned them pretty quickly. My only problem with these dogs is that they are very very hyper. They will maul you with affection if you walk into my house. I have to go Munoz style in front of my guests and pass block for a minute or 2 until they settle down. That is my only real complaint and honestly it is partly my fault because I dont walk them. I have a nice sized fenced in yard that I let them run around in but apparently they have energy to spare.

I would recommend these dogs for sure but keep the crazy energy hyper factor in mind.

as pups

between 1 and 2

Womper-dogs need an outlet for the adrenline rush when people come to the door, so redirect with something to do when people come over for that 1-2 mintues.

Option #1 Send them to their beds close to the guests with a stuffed Kong or chew toy.

Option #2 put them on leash and have them do commands or tricks and reward for 1-2 minutes.

Both a lot easier than body blocking until they settle down, and they are learning to calm themselves down with something rewarding.

I have seen some really together Goldendoodles in my classes, but some that are complete spazzes to the point of ADHD. Only go with a breeder where you can meet both parents and the aunts and uncles and look for calm temperaments.

ChiefDick lol bro.. (I have her thinking at least)

Mucca, I am being as pursuasive as I can! I have not abandoned hope yet.. I gave her a list of other dogs that may work too.. (but havent ruled out the Gldn-doods)

YO Mama LOL!! I dont think she would go for the pitt.. or Doberman (or German) pinscher, tried the Bull Terrier route too, all to no avail.. (sheesh!)

for those whom suggested the Weimariener (sp?) this is one of my top choices, but again she seems hell bent on haveing a dog with longer hair, and I read somehwere they arent necessarily the best with kids...and a lady I work with says she does not reccomend them either :wacko:

I think they are pretty dogs and seem like something that would work perfectly (for me and the boy anyhow)

Youkon C.. I want a lab (more then a golden) Labs are another of my top choices..

as far as the rescue route, (Swami) my local wont give away dogs to folks with no fence!! (how queer is that? right?) and like I said I really have no plans to fence in my yard. this is partially why we have gone to alternate planning..

Ive been researching for a while now.. I know and realize getting a dog is WAY MORE then just a pet.. its almost like a child, needs nurturing, rearing, boundrys to respect, love and food and such.. its not like some fish, feed and change water regularly..

my primary concern is the work schedule, We both work 8:00-3:30 or 8:30-4:00 mon-fri, I dont want my house tore up while I am at work, and I dont necessarily wanna have to kennel em till I get home everyday, but also dont want bored dog going crazy in my house and come home to chewed up stuff and poo everywhere either..(and the fence thing too) I have considered tying em up int he back for the day time, but still dont know about that either (again its not a fish) I dont wanna depress em!

Time for lunch, will check back later this evening to see if anyone else has some input

Thanks again for the replies!

my primary concern is the work schedule, We both work 8:00-3:30 or 8:30-4:00 mon-fri, I dont want my house tore up while I am at work, and I dont necessarily wanna have to kennel em till I get home everyday, but also dont want bored dog going crazy in my house and come home to chewed up stuff and poo everywhere either..(and the fence thing too) I have considered tying em up int he back for the day time, but still dont know about that either (again its not a fish) I dont wanna depress em![/color]

Not to sound harsh or anything, but maybe right now is not the best time to get a dog.

rly..

my primary concern is the work schedule, We both work 8:00-3:30 or 8:30-4:00 mon-fri, I dont want my house tore up while I am at work, and I dont necessarily wanna have to kennel em till I get home everyday, but also dont want bored dog going crazy in my house and come home to chewed up stuff and poo everywhere either..(and the fence thing too) I have considered tying em up int he back for the day time, but still dont know about that either (again its not a fish) I dont wanna depress em!

Time for lunch, will check back later this evening to see if anyone else has some input

Thanks again for the replies!

Crate the dog

Crating works well, but remember a dog can only go its age in months plus 1 for the number of hours without having to use the bathroom, i.e. a 2 month old dog can go 3 hours. I wouldn't recommend tying it up as people do steal dogs. We have lost both our dogs in the last 6 weeks and will likely get another after some of the grief settles (the pictures in this thread of the golden-doodles are awful dang cute), but are struggling with how to handle them during the day while we are gone.

The goldendoodle sounds like her dog, not her sons or yours. I can't think of any self respecting boy/man that would lay claim to one. Over the years we've had the following:

2 cocker spaniels - my mom's dog. Both were very good dogs, well behaved, but that hair was a PIA. They also fall into the category of no self respecting boy/man would lay claim to one.

1 Boston Terrier - my wife's dog, nothing but a lap dog. Was a PIA, as he would always jump up on top of me while I was sitting the recliner watching the game. I did end up growing pretty attached to the little turd.

1 Rottweiler - I took ownership of this dog when my buddy joined the army, and gave it back to him when he was discharged. For the most part he was a great dog, but he got out one night, got laid and was never the same again. He became much more aggressive. I doubt I'd buy one, but if someone were to give me a female, I'd take it if I didn't have a dog at the time.

2 Labs - These were given to me from a friend that was moving into an apartment. Unfortunately he didn't do a very good job of training them, and they were each about 4 years old when I got them. They were good dogs for the most part, and if you hunt they are great to have.

3 Boxers- I love boxers. We currently have one that is a house dog, and another that is a yard dog. They are my favorite dog, but they have a ton of energy and need to have a lot of attention or they will get hyper and unruly. While short haired they do shed quite a bit.

My friend has a poopyzs a poo.. . And that is not a joke...

poopyzu cockapoo mix... it is a toy dog, but nice.

**EDIT *** I got gunned. it is a sheets- a- poo --- sheet zu --- cockapoo mix

the humor was lost in the translation... although quote funny in its own right..

Edited by Boilerduff