[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Could be a long day at jury duty

whomper

:D glad you enjoyed my anxiety and near humiliation. I am home now. Actually got selected to a civil trial. Judge said it should last till thurs. Fri the latest and court is closed wed. I almost got off and the lawyers dismissed a juror and the judge called my name. I usually get off by saying my dad is a retired cop but the case isn't criminal. Hackensack for 3 days. Yipee.

Don't forget your passport or you may never be allowed back into the US again :wacko:

Kidding aside whomp, kudos to you for performing your civic duty. :wacko:

Thanks. They gave a list of questions that you could have said made you a possible bad candidate for this jury and none of them applied to me. I then answered all the judges questions and both lawyers felt I was acceptable.

Thanks. They gave a list of questions that you could have said made you a possible bad candidate for this jury and none of them applied to me. I then answered all the judges questions and both lawyers felt I was acceptable.

Well, you're in no way acceptable, and it just goes to show how screwed up our system of jurisprudence is for thinking you are... :wacko:

Kidding aside whomp, kudos to you for performing your civic duty. :wacko:

Indeed. I was summoned once for jury duty but my commanding officer said I could not leave Vietf'nNam to go home and serve. Haven't been called up since. :D

And he's guilty Whomp. There wouldn't be a trial unless he did it!

My last jury experience had me drinking two 32oz drinks at a Blimpie sub shop for lunch, not realizing that there wasn't going to be a bathroom break for the next 4 hours. Guilty, not guilty, death penalty or the congressional medal of honor, I didn't care much at the moment and as soon as we were dismissed to go to the jury room I sprinted to the restroom.

Edited by cdrudge

• 6 months later...

Just got a notice yesterday that I have been summoned for grand jury in my county. First time for me, actually.

So I am looking over the form and its got me :tup: a little bit...

First question: Are you a citizen of the US?

Couldnt they figure this out by cross referencing the database they got my info from? It says they got my info from either the DMV, state id, or voter records. If true, shouldnt they know if I am a citizen or not? :tup:

Second question: Are you at least 18 years old?

Seems a silly question considering they have my name, address, and age printed about an inch and a half from the question on the form...

Third question: Are you a resident of this county?

Again, seems silly considering they have my address printed on the form...

Fourth question: Are you able to communicate in English?

Well, I might be having trouble reading the questions on the form if I couldnt...

There are some other silly questions on the front before turning over to the back where the first box that needs to be filled in is: Date of Birth

So, they have my DOB printed on the form but then need to ask if I am over 18 in one spot and then what my DOB is in another? :lol:

Apologies for the rant but this form just seems like one of the silliest wastes of time I have ever seen :wacko:

Are these things pretty standard? Have you other fellas seen these same questions?

Just got a notice yesterday that I have been summoned for grand jury in my county. First time for me, actually.

So I am looking over the form and its got me :tup: a little bit...

First question: Are you a citizen of the US?

Couldnt they figure this out by cross referencing the database they got my info from? It says they got my info from either the DMV, state id, or voter records. If true, shouldnt they know if I am a citizen or not? :tup:

Second question: Are you at least 18 years old?

Seems a silly question considering they have my name, address, and age printed about an inch and a half from the question on the form...

Third question: Are you a resident of this county?

Again, seems silly considering they have my address printed on the form...

Fourth question: Are you able to communicate in English?

Well, I might be having trouble reading the questions on the form if I couldnt...

There are some other silly questions on the front before turning over to the back where the first box that needs to be filled in is: Date of Birth

So, they have my DOB printed on the form but then need to ask if I am over 18 in one spot and then what my DOB is in another? :lol:

Apologies for the rant but this form just seems like one of the silliest wastes of time I have ever seen :wacko:

Are these things pretty standard? Have you other fellas seen these same questions?

You're actually expecting efficiency and sensibility from government? :lol:

• 1 year later...

searched for a relevant thread, here it was:) funny stuff above btw. So I had jury duty Monday, at least 300 potential jurors there, after they wittled it down, I was the very 1st person chosen to serve on the jury (maybe I should play the lotto?) Well, we found the dude guilty of vehicle burglary yesterday, but I still feel a little unsettled (if thats the right word) for sending the young man away to prison even though he deserved it. He opted for the judge to prescribe his sentence, which will be a min of 6 months up to 2 yrs in state jail. Well, hoping he'll get his life together and back on track after all is said and done. No one was there to support him, no family or anyone (kinda sad), just his accomplice who testified and tried to take all the blame. My thrilling life;)

Great Post Whomp ...brings back memories for me when I was stuck on bus going to work years back from Jackson to Manhattan ...I was sweating , turning green and squeezing my cheeks so hard i could have produced a diamond ...horrible feeling

I got to finally relax and feel better after i crapped my pants as we were approaching the Port authority ...These things happen :wacko:

Edited by isleseeya

searched for a relevant thread, here it was:) funny stuff above btw. So I had jury duty Monday, at least 300 potential jurors there, after they wittled it down, I was the very 1st person chosen to serve on the jury (maybe I should play the lotto?) Well, we found the dude guilty of vehicle burglary yesterday, but I still feel a little unsettled (if thats the right word) for sending the young man away to prison even though he deserved it. He opted for the judge to prescribe his sentence, which will be a min of 6 months up to 2 yrs in state jail. Well, hoping he'll get his life together and back on track after all is said and done. No one was there to support him, no family or anyone (kinda sad), just his accomplice who testified and tried to take all the blame. My thrilling life;)

With credit for pretrial confinement, and good time credit if he earns it, he will be out in no time. Depending on the jurisdiction most folks earn good time and only serve on average 60% of their sentence.

A friend of mine had jury duty last week and had the same type of situation as Whomper. Trial all day, 8-6. No bathroom breaks until lunch in the jury room with attached bathroom. One toilet (like at home), no fan, a few feet from the table with 12 jurors. He held it all day.

Oh, and for their 9 hours, they were given one salad and 2 cookies.

A friend of mine had jury duty last week and had the same type of situation as Whomper. Trial all day, 8-6. No bathroom breaks until lunch in the jury room with attached bathroom. One toilet (like at home), no fan, a few feet from the table with 12 jurors. He held it all day.

Oh, and for their 9 hours, they were given one salad and 2 cookies.

How did they divide that up 12 ways?

How did they divide that up 12 ways?

It was more difficult than you think. One gal wasn't hungry so they had to do it 11 ways. I challenge you to cut 2 cookies into 11 equal parts.