[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Automatic or Stick?

Puddy

Curious what people think about this. It seems the common thought is that if you are going to go down the road of buying a sports or muscle car you should get the manual transmission. What is the thinking behind this? Is it just a 'purists' point of view or is there some real reason why it is superior. I mean all things considered, I enjoy not shifting all the time.

Thoughts?

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Curious what people think about this. It seems the common thought is that if you are going to go down the road of buying a sports or muscle car you should get the manual transmission. What is the thinking behind this? Is it just a 'purists' point of view or is there some real reason why it is superior. I mean all things considered, I enjoy not shifting all the time.

Thoughts?

If you are looking at a serious drag racing type application then Auto is the only way to go. Road Racing? Stick. Just a cool car to drive around on the weekends? Go with what you are comfortable with!

If you are looking at a serious drag racing type application then Auto is the only way to go. Road Racing? Stick. Just a cool car to drive around on the weekends? Go with what you are comfortable with!

Looking to trade in the [timc] riceburner [/timc] for the new Camaro at some point. I frickin' love that car (plus it's time for a good old fashioned mid-life crisis).

(and yes BeeR I know it's not racist because I'm a bad driver too)

Another thing to keep in mind. If you are going to buy an older muscle car type of toy then you will need to turn in your AAA card and buy yourself a set of real tools!

:wacko: Nah...I need to buy a new car to avoid any repairs that I'm not qualified to do. :D

Looking to trade in the [timc] riceburner [/timc] for the new Camaro at some point. I frickin' love that car (plus it's time for a good old fashioned mid-life crisis).

(and yes BeeR I know it's not racist because I'm a bad driver too)

:wacko: Nah...I need to buy a new car to avoid any repairs that I'm not qualified to do. :D

If this is a car you are going to drive every day in any kind of stop and go traffic you would be crazy to get a manual transmission.

I love sticks. But unless you are going super-high end, it seems like I only see them in the stripped-down models of today's "regular guy" cars. Automatic transmissions have no soul.

I will definitely be going with the optional V8 if I get one (I just can't imagine buying one with the base 6). So that 'soul' thing. What does that mean?

I will definitely be going with the optional V8 if I get one (I just can't imagine buying one with the base 6). So that 'soul' thing. What does that mean?

A stick shift allows you to get in touch with your performance vehicle like an OBGYN does an expectant mother. You get to *feel* cool things that you know are in there, but can't see with the naked eye. Automatics probably go just as fast, I just think a stick shift makes for a more... intimate driving experience.

Edited by yo mama

A stick shift allows you to get in touch with your performance vehicle like an OBGYN does an expectant mother. You get to *feel* cool things that you know are in there, but can't see with the naked eye. Automatics probably go just as fast, I just think a stick shift makes for a more... intimate driving experience.

That's hawt.

I think it depends on the kind of "performance car". if it's a sporty high-rev, turbo kinda deal, I'd probably want a stick for sure. if it's more of a "luxury" ride with a big v8....well to me the reason you have all that raw power is so you don't have to think about shifting. to me, stick is MOST important on a car like the one I drive now, a small subaru with like a 165hp 4 cylinder -- as an automatic, I would be totally furstratred driving it, trying to milk power out of it. but with a stick it's actually got it in it to be pretty damn sporty and fun to drive. the more power you get, the less you NEED stick. but that extra level of feel and control can always be nice (it can also be a PITA if you're in traffic).

for a v8 "muscle car"...I dunno, I'd probably get the auto personally. somehting like a mustang isn't really a "road car" anyway, you're buying it for the hammer (and because you have a small peener), I don't see much need for a stick.

I drive in DC traffic and Ms Cid needs to drive it occasionally, hence my Vette is an auto. I really, really wanted a stick but the realities of the world forced this decision. I am not disappointed with it at all. A stick is better for straightening out the twisties, an auto for drag racing type applications (you'll never blow a shift). I will manually shift my auto sometimes for a couple of reasons like if the damn computer shifts into 4th to early and I want to keep the engine revving in the powerband or if I'm cruising and I need to punch it to pass soeone I'll downshift to third. It saves some wear and tear on the forks in the transmission.

The bottom line is as tbimm said, get what you're comfortable with.

Puddy, I'm proud of you. We'll make a real man out of you yet. It took awhile for you to realize a Honda or Toyota is just a piece of crap and never considered a real car unless you're a 5' 2" Jap that glows in the dark and loves the smell of uranium in the morning....or some mis-guided white trash 20-year old kid that thinks putting a coffee can on his Civic while wearing his wifebeater t-shirt gets him an extra 40 horsepower.

Be sure to put extra Zaino on the Camaro to help wipe the drool of others off easily. Oh, and make sure to get the optional baseball bat to beat Da Ladies off with. :wacko:

If you are driving around in urban settings during traffic times very often, then auto is the only way to go, IMHO. A stick is fun and gives you the trill of driving for sure but it wears off. I drive an auto to and from work and I drive a stick all day long between sites. I sort of wish I could have them reversed.

If this is a car you are going to drive every day in any kind of stop and go traffic you would be crazy to get a manual transmission.
My first, third, and fourth cars were stick shifts. Once I learned how to drive one, it always was just second nature with stop and go city driving or highway. My preference would be for a stick shift.

Driving an auto isn't driving. With a stick, the car does absolutely nothing I don't tell it to. I can shift for economy, performance, or a little of both as I feel like it. If trapped in mud or snow, I can almost always massage my way out of it. I stay engaged with the car and with the road. I get feedback through the clutch pedal and gear selector that I'd never get with a slushbox. As Az said above, a manual transmission makes any good small car a rewarding drive; attacking corners with my Pontiac Vibe turns commuting into catharsis.

You can get a Lexus with an automatic transmission, cruise control, and climate control, that stays in its lane automatically and parks itself. That's one step away from the f***ing Matrix, man. Drive your car, don't let it drive you.

That all having been said, a Camaro SS is a burnout/stoplight race/parking lot king. The only input you care about in one of those is the throttle. You want one foot out the window, one hand on the honey next to you, and the other hand holding your beer. If you're aching for the transcendent purity of unwinding winding roads, there are other machines to do it in. On the other hand, you're going to have a pretty unique machine if you go stick.

All joking, hyperbole, and personal preferences aside, unless you are planning on driving this thing into retirement, consider the secondary market. Muscle cars, overwhelmingly, are automatics--and while sticks are cheaper on the way in, believe me when I say that they're often tough to get rid of. Don't overlook your exit strategy when making an investment this big.

Peace

policy

Edited by policyvote