[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Automatic or Stick?

Puddy

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That's pretty much the guy I've been my entire life. Here's a list of my cars since I graduated college:

1995 Dodge Neon :D

1997 Ford Taurus :D (wife totaled it after 9 months)

1998 Ford Taurus :D (but this time I went for the leather seats and moon roof with chrome rims :bash:)

2003 Chrylser Pacifica :bash:

2007 Honda Accord :bash:

I've been a practical car driving momo since day 1. I don't need the family car any longer. My wife has a Chevy Traverse that we can go anywhere we want in with extra room. I want to finally drive something I actually like. Maybe it is a 'phase' but damn it, I want to enjoy my next car. At least it has a back seat that will fit my kids (only) when we want to cruise around and have a little fun.

Oh and I'll have to look into that subwoofer :wacko: I wouldn't mind bumpin' some MC Breed through the neighborhood. :D

That list might make me want to drive a Camaro too. :bash:

Growing up, I remember when my dad traded in our conversion van for a new Camaro. He loved that car. He was an accountant... :D.

Well, the Corvettes aren't really GM...they're built with far more quality. Same with Cadillacs. :wacko:

The finished Cadillac CTS's used to be parked in a lot less than a mile from the school where I work. Now the lots are empty and filling up with weeds. :D

This is huge for me. I bought the Vibe for my wife, and made it a stick, explicitly because I never wanted her (or any of our kids) to be trapped anywhere because they didn't know how to drive a stick. Also, I wanted to expose her to why I get all worked up about cars--just like she's in my main local league, and just I ask her to read my Lions blog and give input.

This summer, I noticed her developing a habit of making excuses to take the Vibe out by herself. When I finally mentioned it, she said "I don't know, I just really like driving it. I just feel so much more involved, you know? It's actually fun." That was a good day.

Peace

policy

I did the exact same thing when we bought the Fusion - 4-cyl, 5-speed. Wife had never driven a manual, and now she absolutely LOVES it. But if we had any real traffic to drive in we'd have bought an auto.

Seriously, if you think driving a manual in traffic would suck - get the auto.

I suggest driving something with a well set up manual long enough to get used to it. As others have said, having a manual at your command is more exciting and fuller driving experience.

The 'vette I drove for a few days last year with paddle shifters was awfully sweet too. Vroom vroom indeed! :wacko:

Edited by Jimmy Neutron

as others have mentioned, it comes down to what will work for you. if you forsee a lot of traffic in your future and don't want to deal with a stick.......... go automatic. as a car guy i can't see myself getting anything but a manual. i believe that the driving experience and performance is diluted with an automatic. but... how important is that to you?

I drove stick for quite a few years in the 70's thru the early 80's. They were economy cars like wiegie's, plus I was doing 90% hiway driving. Don't get me started on trying to teach my wife. It was a nightmare! Dam....she still looks down at the shifter to figger out where she is! :wacko: Imagine that if she drove stick??? :D

I know a lot of you have said that stick will increase the value of a NEW muscle car. I think it's the opposite as far as later sale is concerned.

Stick may seem cool, but the average person can't drive it! Add the fact that many car makers add the "slap stick" and have optimized shifting and few if any could compete or be better than the car's electronics.

A good friend of mine owns a 1972 Corvette, 454, bought it new but has done some major tweaks. In it's day and still fairly current it's a <12 sec. car. I have been w/ him when we blew past Chevelles, Goats, and more. He has an auto, but plays it like a stick.

My point is stay w/ auto! The value will be better down the road.

BTW...for all of you Corvette enthusiasts go to:

corvette

Franky has a nice site and is a vette guru!

I drove stick for quite a few years in the 70's thru the early 80's. They were economy cars like wiegie's, plus I was doing 90% hiway driving. Don't get me started on trying to teach my wife. It was a nightmare! Dam....she still looks down at the shifter to figger out where she is! :wacko: Imagine that if she drove stick??? :D

I know a lot of you have said that stick will increase the value of a NEW muscle car. I think it's the opposite as far as later sale is concerned.

Stick may seem cool, but the average person can't drive it! Add the fact that many car makers add the "slap stick" and have optimized shifting and few if any could compete or be better than the car's electronics.

A good friend of mine owns a 1972 Corvette, 454, bought it new but has done some major tweaks. In it's day and still fairly current it's a <12 sec. car. I have been w/ him when we blew past Chevelles, Goats, and more. He has an auto, but plays it like a stick.

My point is stay w/ auto! The value will be better down the road.

BTW...for all of you Corvette enthusiasts go to:

corvette

Franky has a nice site and is a vette guru!

All this time and you're only now hooking us with your buddies site? Shame on you! :D

I agree. It didn't appear to me that the middle aged woman who was driving the Camaro that I saw yesterday was shifting manually. :wacko:

Kidding aside, given that many people who are buying that car (particularly the non-SS trim level) are not auto enthusiasts, you can presume that most persons buying it will want an automatic transmission.

• 2 weeks later...
The finished Cadillac CTS's used to be parked in a lot less than a mile from the school where I work. Now the lots are empty and filling up with weeds. :wacko:

Not the CTS...but in the same line:

75 more workers laid off at Bowling Green GM plant

Posted: Dec 16, 2009 4:18 PM EST

Updated: Dec 16, 2009 4:18 PM EST

BOWLING GREEN, KY - As 75 more workers have been indefinitely laid off from General Motors' Corvette assembly plant in the western Kentucky city of Bowling Green, those who remain say 2009 was one tough year.

Just about the only good news the General Motors Bowling Green Assembly Plant has received is word that no temporary shutdowns are scheduled for 2010.

The Daily News of Bowling Green reports the plant was temporarily shut down for a total of 26 weeks this year.

A company spokeswoman says production has slowed at the plant from 18.5 cars an hour to 8 as demand for luxury vehicles has dwindled. Earlier this year, the plant stopped production of the Cadillac XLR.

The plant once had 1,100 workers, but by the beginning of December, it employed just 486.

:D

That car wasn't very good. It wasn't just the economy that caused its demise.

It was so far overpriced and marketed like an old man's Corvette....ummm, the Corvettes of today drive and ride like a Cadillac for the most part.