[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Trained Fighting

Brentastic

Ok, so the 'baddest bad ass' thread got me to produce this thread. When my son and soon-to-be daughter (just found out today we're having a girl - due Apr 18) get old enough, probably 5ish, I plan on enrolling them into some sort of martial arts/boxing school. My plan was also to take said training with the kids. The 'bad ass' thread got me thinking of which branch of fighting would be best - in this case more for self defense than to be an agressive fighter. I'm sorta liking Aikido because of a few reasons:

1) It's a passive style that is more self-defensive

2) It's a grappling style so I think it's more practical for everyday 'survival'

3) It uses less energy because of it's passive style

Since I'm not really into fighting nor do I have any type of experience in trained fighting, I'm sure there are several styles I am unaware of. Bottom line, is I'd like to take it with my children, primarily so they can stick up for themselves and also to teach discipline/focus etc... Also, have any other parents enrolled children into martial arts? Did you join with them? Did either like it or find it useful? Again, I'm not trying to breed an aggressive fighting child, I just want to give them basic skills to stand up for themselves if need be. I'm probably going to stay here in the city of Chicago, so these skills I feel are necessary.

I think I remember Blitz saying back in the day that 5 was a little young. I like your thinking though. We were going to sign up my 8 year old this past sept but she broke her arm. Her Orthopedic doc said he would wait a year. Good luck

I've been in the martial arts for almost 14 years now and have seen quite a few students (adults and children) come and go at our school. How early you start your child depends alot on what hope to get out of the training. As a general guideline I wouldn't start a child until they were past the age of 10 (I told mine they had to be 12, although my daughter started at 11). However, If all you are looking for is an activity that might instill some structure and discipline in your child's life while potentially improving their self confidence then it might be okay to start them earlier.

Martial arts training involves LOTS of repetitive activity. Young children really don't have the attention span that is required AND they get bored doing the same thing over and over. I also don't believe you should attempt any martials training unless you can commit to train AT LEAST 3 days a week - which can be another problem for the young children.

It has also been my experience that most people that start martial arts quit when they get their black belt. So knowing that my child was only going to get 4 to 5 years of martial arts training I believe it to be more benefial if that training happens in their teenage years. I have seen several kids come in as early as 5 that were exceptional students and can only recall two or three that trained into their teenage years.

I'm trying not to discourage you from joining the martials arts ... I mean I love it and my daughter loves it too ... just want you to think about some fo these things.

At 4 or 5, there is no need to even think about style. Honestly, until your kids are in the double digit range, it's meaningless.

At young ages like that, you want to find a school that's focused on fun. My nephew is in his third year doing karate, and is 6. When he was 4, the kids really just rolled around on the mat and made mad faces. The instructor was entertaining. The kids had fun. At 6, he's a purple belt, has been around the school a few years, likes going, and is more interested in learning some karate things from the teacher, who he has grown to respect.

Until a kid is old enough to understand a little and make some choices about what he or she might like to learn, just look for a good, fun environment with a teacher you and your kids like, and that you think is clean and safe. Worry about the rest later.

Ok, so the 'baddest bad ass' thread got me to produce this thread. When my son and soon-to-be daughter (just found out today we're having a girl - due Apr 18) get old enough, probably 5ish, I plan on enrolling them into some sort of martial arts/boxing school. My plan was also to take said training with the kids. The 'bad ass' thread got me thinking of which branch of fighting would be best - in this case more for self defense than to be an agressive fighter. I'm sorta liking Aikido because of a few reasons:

1) It's a passive style that is more self-defensive

2) It's a grappling style so I think it's more practical for everyday 'survival'

3) It uses less energy because of it's passive style

Since I'm not really into fighting nor do I have any type of experience in trained fighting, I'm sure there are several styles I am unaware of. Bottom line, is I'd like to take it with my children, primarily so they can stick up for themselves and also to teach discipline/focus etc... Also, have any other parents enrolled children into martial arts? Did you join with them? Did either like it or find it useful? Again, I'm not trying to breed an aggressive fighting child, I just want to give them basic skills to stand up for themselves if need be. I'm probably going to stay here in the city of Chicago, so these skills I feel are necessary.

Brazilian Jiu Jitsu.

1. It was created with the smaller person in mind. It's a way for the smaller/weaker person to be able to defend themselves against bigger/stronger people.

2. I may be biased but BJJ is the dominant grappling style, and I've had to put it to use first hand. It's helped me out of a few bad situations, and I know it can work for anyone who applies themselves to learning it.

3. A passive style doesn't mean you use less energy. I wouldn't go in with that thought process at all. Any kind of grappling, be it a passive one, or an agressive one uses a lot of energy. If you go to the classes 2-3 times a week, within a month you'll see massive changes in the way you look and feel.

I've helped teach a few classes to the little kids, and they all seem to love it. The classes also do not make the kids any more agressive. A lot of parents end up enrolling after they sit in on there kids classes, and you'll get a lot out of it if you put forth effort

I could talk for days and days about BJJ, but for the sake of this thread I'll cut it short.

2 words.........krav maga

+1 :wacko:

Without a doubt. I found this not only easier to do and stick with, but it really accommodated my aggressive nature.

I think this doesn't get much press because no MMA fighter could use it... it is too centered on breaking things and causing damage.

Edited by cre8tiff

That makes sense regarding the age. Age aside, what style do you all think is the most practical in every day life? Like being attacked by a gang of people, attacked from behind, other trained fighters acting as bullies etc... Again, I'm leaning toward Aikido.

The real answer is "the one that you like and will stick with". Chances are that the majority of the encounters anyone would have in the course of their life are against people with no training. There are plenty of opinions and arguments that can be made about what style is better for who and why.

Much more important is to find a place that's nice, clean, affordable, accessible, and that you like to train at.

Again I would say to worry about style later. See if you can stick with training (or if your kids can) in a place you enjoy going to.

I'm no expert on the matter, but I don't think that aikido could be considered "trained fighting." Aikidokas don't compete and they don't fight in the traditional sense. Its an art that one could probably use very successfully to defend oneself if necessary. But you're never really going to train against someone who has the actual intent to hurt you.

If you're going to fight more that one opponent, I don't thing that BJJ is what you're looking for. Going to the ground is something that is probably not advisable in that situation.

If you ask 10 people their opinions on what is the best practical self defense martial art, you'll get 10 different answers. Not mentioned yet are Jeet Kune Do or Combat JKD.

+1 :wacko:

Without a doubt. I found this not only easier to do and stick with, but it really accommodated my aggressive nature.

I think this doesn't get much press because no MMA fighter could use it... it is too centered on breaking things and causing damage.

yep, its main focus is to get out alive and get out with one shot. maybe too much for kids?

yep, its main focus is to get out alive and get out with one shot. maybe too much for kids?

I put both my daughters through it. I thought it irresponsible not to give them at least SOME tools to defend themselves in this harsh world.

I'm kinda proud that my eldest nearly KO'ed the instructor even with him wearing full pads.

5'6" and weighs 120. She is confident and unafraid. I love that.

I put both my daughters through it. I thought it irresponsible not to give them at least SOME tools to defend themselves in this harsh world.

I'm kinda proud that my eldest nearly KO'ed the instructor even with him wearing full pads.

nice! im starting it in jan wit h the mrs.

Which martial art is really rather irrelevant for a five year old. I'd focus on what the school offers in regards to an enjoyable activity for the kids.

I took Miyama-Ryu Ju-Jutsu back in Florida for 10 years and while the teachers enjoyed beating up the adults, the kids classes were all about fun and discipline. The kids started out with basic karate, then moved up to judo (about ages 9-14, when the child's mind -and- body were ready for it) and when they were ready (about 12-16 yo), the joined the ju-jutsu training.

One reason is, judo and aikido have a lot of joint manipulations. Break a child's wrist and they're messed up for life since joints don't heal well for kids.

If you join a school that teaches choke holds, make sure the instructor is trained in "capo" (sp?) which is japanese first aid. Traditional CPR doesn't work well when your arteries are collapsed due to a successful choke hold applied too long.

It's cool that you want to take the class with your grandchild, but most schools won't let you really do anything with the kids. I'd start taking classes now at the school you'd send your grandchild to so you'll learn enough to be an assistant instructor and can then teach the kid's classes.

I appreciate the feedback - but I ain't no grandparent yet. This would be with my children. I'm still in my 30s.

2 words.........krav maga

+1

Always heard good things.

That's pretty awesome. Pics? :wacko::D

• 1 month later...