[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Colts may rest starters

CaptainHook

If the unbeaten Indianapolis Colts intend to treat their 15th game like the previous 14 in terms of trying to stay perfect, coach Jim Caldwell isn’t saying.

And perhaps that’s telling.

Today, he didn’t repeat the mantra of a week ago – when he said the Colts would treat the 14th game like the previous 13. He, instead, was vague about the team’s plan for Sunday against the New York Jets at Lucas Oil Stadium.

“Right now, I could not tell you exactly what it’s going to be, whether or not a guy plays one series or the entire game, I couldn’t tell you that honestly right now,” Caldwell said, when asked specifically about the plan for healthy starters.

The Colts, who locked up the AFC’s No. 1 playoff seed eight days ago, played almost all of their starters in Thursday’s 35-31 victory at Jacksonville. The team didn’t appear to suffer any serious injuries in the game, although several Colts played hurt.

Caldwell emphasized the preparation would be the same and that the health of players would be the primary factor for who played.

“We’re still going to base it on the health of each and every one of our players, as to what their situation is,” Caldwell said. “Medical professionals will certainly give us direction in that and that’s how we’ll proceed in terms of playing this Jets game.

“I’m not going to know exactly where we are from a health standpoint probably until toward the end of the week.”

The Jets (7-7) are one of six AFC teams at .500 and in the thick of the playoff chase for a wild-card spot.

Asked if he would offer a more detailed explanation for the playing time plan later in the week, Caldwell said, “I’m not certain.”

from indystar.com

You'd have to think with a perfect season on the line and the lessons learned from the past about resting players and then them not being sharp or playing up to potential in the playoffs, that the Colts will give it their best in week 16, unless they get up BIG (which could happen).

I think that the best chances for a championship is for them to rest their stars. Of course, I'm talking about my championship as my opponent next week has Manning, Clark and Collie.

My opinion though, is that they play as long as it's close.

I really think that the Colts are setting out to do what the Patriots couldn't - which is to COMPLETE a perfect season.

Maybe, and maybe they sit after the first half. My personal feeling is Manning goes for about 5 drives and that may be enough to get good numbers still but my feeling is it wont happen against the Jets.

I'm going with Alex Smith against the Lions.

Maybe, and maybe they sit after the first half. My personal feeling is Manning goes for about 5 drives and that may be enough to get good numbers still but my feeling is it wont happen against the Jets.
I think 35 points will be more then enough to beat the Jets. Toss in a few field goals in the 2nd half and all will be good.

I'm going with Alex Smith against the Lions.

I have Manning and Smith too - tough choice.

Maybe it's just me, but I feel like if the Colts start sitting their starters out in the 3rd quarter of a close game that it will add more pressure to them... Meaning, "Ok, you just gave up on a perfect season, so you better damn well win that Lombardi trophy."

I would be quite surprised if they don't give it their best effort to go undefeated.

On an unrelated side note, I kind of get the feeling that if the Colts and the Chargers meet in the playoffs, it will be the best game to watch of the postseason. We are due for the SB to be boring since we've had back to back barn burners.

You'd have to think with a perfect season on the line and the lessons learned from the past about resting players and then them not being sharp or playing up to potential in the playoffs, that the Colts will give it their best in week 16, unless they get up BIG (which could happen).

I don't see this game score getting run up. The Jets D is pretty formidable. Before the only TD the Falcons scored on Sunday, the Jets defense had gone well over 30 possessions without giving up a TD... and that's with Sanchez turning the ball over repeatedly. The Jets have the highest rated pass D in the league. The highest rated overall defense in the league. They have given up:

1) the fewest points

2) the fewest passing yards

3) the fewest total yards

If that isn't enough, they are still 11th in rushing yards allowed. If not for Sanchez... the Jets might have even won the AFC East this year. I think the key to this game is Freeney and Mathis, and if the Colts can force Sanchez to throw by shutting down T Jones. If Sanchez has to throw, Manning will get some short field possessions to work with.

The Jets D is pretty formidable.
Statistics don't always tell the whole story though. Who have the Jets played this year? They've won ONE game against a team that currently is over .500, New England week 2. Everyone else that they've played has either beat them, or is average or worse.

Before the only TD the Falcons scored on Sunday, the Jets defense had gone well over 30 possessions without giving up a TD... and that's with Sanchez turning the ball over repeatedly.
He actually only turned the ball over twice during that period, both against Atlanta. That was also 35 possessions against Tampa Bay and Buffalo, two of the NFLs worst teams as far as offensive statistics and mediocre to awful defensive statistics. Colts had a similar stretch of time (but not as many plays) against the Titans and St. Louis which I would say are about the same caliber (if not better) then Tampa Bay and Buffalo, yet the offense also was able to take more advantage of the defensive stops. Indy scored 50% more points in 60% of the number of possessions over approximately the same period of game time.

The Jets have the highest rated pass D in the league. The highest rated overall defense in the league. They have given up:

1) the fewest points

2) the fewest passing yards

3) the fewest total yards

Colts give up about 2 points more per game then the Jets on average. So while the Jets may be able to limit the Colts some while the starters are playing, the opposite will also be happening with points which is where it really matters in the end. Playing full strength, I think the Jets are more then a slight disadvantage. I guess I just have more faith in the Colts ability to put up more points early enough that if guys are rested, it will still be enough as long as the backups play smart and bend but not break.

Statistics don't always tell the whole story though. Who have the Jets played this year? They've won ONE game against a team that currently is over .500, New England week 2. Everyone else that they've played has either beat them, or is average or worse.

He actually only turned the ball over twice during that period, both against Atlanta. That was also 35 possessions against Tampa Bay and Buffalo, two of the NFLs worst teams as far as offensive statistics and mediocre to awful defensive statistics. Colts had a similar stretch of time (but not as many plays) against the Titans and St. Louis which I would say are about the same caliber (if not better) then Tampa Bay and Buffalo, yet the offense also was able to take more advantage of the defensive stops. Indy scored 50% more points in 60% of the number of possessions over approximately the same period of game time.

Colts give up about 2 points more per game then the Jets on average. So while the Jets may be able to limit the Colts some while the starters are playing, the opposite will also be happening with points which is where it really matters in the end. Playing full strength, I think the Jets are more then a slight disadvantage. I guess I just have more faith in the Colts ability to put up more points early enough that if guys are rested, it will still be enough as long as the backups play smart and bend but not break.

It isn't about the Jets W-L record, it's about the defense. Wake up and smell the coffee. Maybe you don't remember the game agianst the Saints? Where Brees was held to under 200 yards? and no TD's? The NO offense only put up 10 points on the Jets' D, and didn't score a TD until the 4th quarter. This is not about whether the Jets win or lose. It's about how many FF points the Colts offensive players can put up this week. I think the Colts offense could be outscored by their own defense, just as NO did back in week 4.

Kicker Adam Vinatieri and rookie running back Donald Brown are hopeful they can join the other regulars, who today said they have not been told anything different about the plan for the home game against the New York Jets in terms of resting healthy or injured starters.

Wide receiver Anthony Gonzalez, who returned to practice Monday, did not do any interviews and his status seems more in question. He’s been out since the season opener with a knee injury, but Colts president Bill Polian said on his Monday radio show he thought the receiver could return this game.

“Today, we’ll see,” Colts coach Jim Caldwell said of Gonzalez’s status, “but his road hasn’t been an easy one.”

Asked about how much work Vinatieri and Gonzalez would need to be ready for the playoffs, Caldwell said it depends on the player.

“I think in both cases this is a pretty important week,” he said.

Vinatieri has missed nine games after needing surgery on his right knee. Gonzalez didn’t make it through the first quarter in Week 1 when he went down with his knee injury, which after a practice setback required surgery. Brown, who has shared some of the backfield workload with starter Joseph Addai, has been out the last three games with a chest injury.

Quarterback Peyton Manning was among the locker-room contingent to meet with reporters for interviews and discussed at length the task of taking on the Jets (7-7). There wasn’t a hint that starters could play less because the AFC’s No. 1 seed and home-field advantage throughout the playoffs is secure.

“Coach Caldwell, as soon as he says something different in that meeting, I’m telling ya, you’all would be the first to know,” Manning said.

“It’s been about as consistent a Wednesday speech this year has it’s been all year: ‘This is what we have to do. This is what they’re very good at. We have to prepare for this and go out and do it.’ It was the same speech again today and that’s what we’re going to try to follow.”

Defensive end Dwight Freeney, who has been playing with an abdomen injury, said guys who have been playing hurt will be handled on an individual basis. But he said he intended to play. He and defensive end Robert Mathis, who has played with a quadriceps injury, were on a situational play count for Thursday’s 35-31 victory at Jacksonville.

from indystar.com

Edited by CaptainHook

Well, I'm in a total of 4 leagues and I am in the SB in 2 of those leagues where I have Peyton/Clark and Peyton/Wayne, respectively. I consider the Colt players must-starts without question. It's one of those situations where fate is left in the hands of the fantasy gods. There's no way I can bench the guys who got me there. Losing as a result of not starting them would be horrible and much worse than the inverse (losing because of starting them). I truly think I will be rewarded by starting them and I encourage all of you Colt owners to do the same.

Sure, they'll play their starters. They'll play them until the first one rolls an ankle, tweaks a knee or gets knocked a little dizzy. Then you'll see the whole team come off the field in unison like a marching band.

Addai stands a good chance of resting IMO. I sure hope not as I could use him in my SB. I just picked up M. Morris just in case, but I really hate to use a WW RB in my SB. I sure as hell ain't using J. Jones.

ETA: F'king Donald Brown. I wish he'd sit another week. :wacko:

Edited by jaxfactor

Addai stands a good chance of resting IMO. I sure hope not as I could use him in my SB. I just picked up M. Morris just in case, but I really hate to use a WW RB in my SB. I sure as hell ain't using J. Jones.

ETA: F'king Donald Brown. I wish he'd sit another week. :wacko:

Yep, I've heard Caldwell say a few times that their most important issue is getting some of the guys back. I'm sure Brown will see a heavy workload if he can handle it.

The availability of Anthony Gonzalez for the Indianapolis Colts' final two regular-season and the postseason remains in doubt after the third-year receiver did not practice Wednesday.

Gonzalez, the team's 2007 first-round draft pick, has not played since spraining a ligament in his right knee in the Sept. 13 season opener against Jacksonville. He suffered a setback during his initial rehabilitation and underwent arthroscopic surgery Nov. 5.

Gonzalez went through the Colts' light workout Monday, and team president Bill Polian said on his Monday night radio show the plan was for Gonzalez to practice Wednesday. Barring a setback, Gonzalez was expected to be a game-time decision for Sunday's game against the New York Jets.

It's possible the Colts will place Gongalez on the season-ending injured reserve list, perhaps this week.

Coach Jim Caldwell wasn't able to shed much light on Gonzalez's situation.

"Probably the best way I could put it is today, we'll see," Caldwell said. "But his road hasn't been an easy one, let me put it that way."

Gonzalez wasn't available for comment Wednesday.

Vinatieri, Brown optimistic

The medical news appeared more promising for place-kicker Adam Vinatieri, rookie running back Donald Brown and safety Aaron Francisco. All hope to play Sunday.

Vinatieri has missed the past nine games after having arthroscopic surgery on his right knee Oct. 14. Brown has missed three games with a chest injury that he said is rib-related, and Francisco has missed six games with a high sprain to his right ankle.

"It's definitely getting better," Brown said. "Taking it one day at a time and I think we'll evaluate it at the end of the week.''

So, there's a chance he'll play against the Jets?

"Yeah, definitely a strong chance," Brown replied.

Vinatieri plans to ratchet up his workout routine and, barring a setback, handle the place-kicking chores Sunday.

"All the projections are to see if the week goes well, and if it does, we'll hopefully be on the field with the jersey on rather than on the sideline with a pair of jeans on," he said.

With Vinatieri out, veteran Matt Stover has done the kicking. Stover has converted 9-of-11 field goal attempts, including a game-winning 25-yarder with 7:02 remaining at Baltimore.

If Vinatieri can shake the rust and regain his timing, the Colts will face a difficult decision. Do they release Stover, knowing he likely will be signed by another team in pursuit of a playoff berth, or carry two veteran place-kickers?

"The only thing that matters for us is what's best for the team to win games in January," said Vinatieri, adding he and Stover "are real good friends. If that's him, that's him. If it's me, it's me.

"Matt's doing a great job and he's a great kicker."

Jets planning on stiff test

Speculation continues to swirl on whether Caldwell will limit the playing time of some of his healthy front-line players against the Jets.

New York coach Rex Ryan certainly hopes so but is taking no chances.

"We have to prepare that all of their starters are playing and then if they don't, so be it," he said. "We have to be ready to play four quarters against Peyton Manning and company."

Players remained adamant in their desire to play, from start to finish, but acknowledged the decision is not theirs.

"I'm preparing to play," offensive tackle Charlie Johnson said. "We're all preparing to play like we always do. So until I hear otherwise, play football."

Manning insisted Caldwell's message hasn't changed: Prepare this week as you have for the previous weeks.

"It was the same speech again today and that's what we're going to try to follow," Manning said.

from indystar.com

Edited by CaptainHook

My gut tells me the Colts lose this game.

Don't know if it will be because they rest some players, the jets are fighting to make the playoffs,

a combination of both, a fluke, bad call, late FG or maybe I just have a tummy virus....

:D

just saw the Painter 'highlights'.... :D

That was just stupid, pulling the starters when they did.

Nothing like :wacko: to your players...thanks for nothing going 14-0, we don't really care.

Truly laughable. :D