[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The Great Reggie Wayne Debate

Cunning Runt

As a follow up to Rovers' post re: Jerome Harrison, I also have real questions about Wayne this week.

I know the mantra of "dance with the one that brought ya", but I'm considering this:

1. The obvious issue of whether he plays and if so, how much. For my part, I think he plays maybe a half - maybe a bit into the 3rd quarter. Had that been the case last week, you'd have been less-than-pleased. He scored his 65yd TD in the 4th quarter. That was a 13.5pt play in and of itself in my league. But if the game's close, he could play the whole thing out. Caldwell has not let it be known what his intentions are.

2. And then also even if playing time wasn't an issue, you have to think Revis is going to be on him all game which in and of itself is cause for concern.

So when you take those two factors into consideration, I'm just not sure what to make of Wayne's chances to put up some quality FF points. My alternative at WR here would be Calvin Johnson, who has not performed well lately and expecially so with Culpepper at QB. Or Antonio Bryant who is about as hit or miss as they come. I thought Bryant would have a good game last time against Seattle's porous pass D and he went 3 for 35 or something like that.

In the end, I'm probably going Wayne because my other options are ungood, but I may yet change my mind. I'll be at that game so it'd be nice to have someone to root for, but it could put a damper on my buzz if I sit there and watch him get shut out. Not my "real" buzz mind you. The beer will take care of that, but my metaphorical buzz. Ya feel me?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But who plays if Reggie doesn't? Gonzalez is still hurt. Garcon hurt his hand. That only leaves Wayne, Collie, and Baskett.

A few years ago, when they rested Manning in the season finale against Denver, Wayne played the whole game. He even caught a TD from Sorgi.

Wayne is not one of the guys I worry the Colts will sit. I think he plays most of the next two games.

As a follow up to Rovers' post re: Jerome Harrison, I also have real questions about Wayne this week.

I know the mantra of "dance with the one that brought ya", but I'm considering this:

1. The obvious issue of whether he plays and if so, how much. For my part, I think he plays maybe a half - maybe a bit into the 3rd quarter. Had that been the case last week, you'd have been less-than-pleased. He scored his 65yd TD in the 4th quarter. That was a 13.5pt play in and of itself in my league. But if the game's close, he could play the whole thing out. Caldwell has not let it be known what his intentions are.

2. And then also even if playing time wasn't an issue, you have to think Revis is going to be on him all game which in and of itself is cause for concern.

So when you take those two factors into consideration, I'm just not sure what to make of Wayne's chances to put up some quality FF points. My alternative at WR here would be Calvin Johnson, who has not performed well lately and expecially so with Culpepper at QB. Or Antonio Bryant who is about as hit or miss as they come. I thought Bryant would have a good game last time against Seattle's porous pass D and he went 3 for 35 or something like that.

In the end, I'm probably going Wayne because my other options are ungood, but I may yet change my mind. I'll be at that game so it'd be nice to have someone to root for, but it could put a damper on my buzz if I sit there and watch him get shut out. Not my "real" buzz mind you. The beer will take care of that, but my metaphorical buzz. Ya feel me?

In the same boat as you, I have Chambers or Cotchery to go in his place and I am not sure what to do. TOUGH decision as this is the championship game.

But who plays if Reggie doesn't? Gonzalez is still hurt. Garcon hurt his hand. That only leaves Wayne, Collie, and Baskett.

A few years ago, when they rested Manning in the season finale against Denver, Wayne played the whole game. He even caught a TD from Sorgi.

Wayne is not one of the guys I worry the Colts will sit. I think he plays most of the next two games.

I agree especially after their statement about player having set goals they wanted to meet and I cant believe Wayne has met his

I think he plays for most of this game, but maybe not with as much intensity as if it was a meaningful game. However with Revis covering him I think his fantasy value takes a big hit, especially if Manning doesn't play the whole game. But in your shoes I probably still would go with him with the lack of quality alternative options.

I agree especially after their statement about player having set goals they wanted to meet and I cant believe Wayne has met his
He can't be too far off from legitimately obtainable goals. Statistic wise, he's having his second best year of his career. He's 8 receptions, 300 yards, and 2 TDs from career high. He's second in almost all categories except yards (but only has 100 to go) with two games left.

Gonzalez returned to practice this week. :wacko:

WR Anthony Gonzalez and RB Donald Brown practiced Monday, when Colts president Bill Polian said on his radio show that the club hopes Gonzalez can be ready to play against the Jets. from indystar.com

Edited by CaptainHook

Wayne has been one of the most outspoken players with regard to "playing all the games". His desire is to play, but Revis is the main concern here. He will probably shut down Wayne and Manning will look elsewhere. I think that had the Colts not won the Super Bowl in 2006 that they would be more likely to rest players. I think that the players want a piece of history with an undefeated season but have to let the coach have the final say. The healthy starters will play and will get the lead. Addai will be the most likely starter to miss any substantial time on the offensive side. Remember that thay can still rest in weeks 17 & 18.

I am in the Championship final. I am in the same boat as you with Bryant & Cotchery as possible replacements for Wayne, but I also have Addai. If that isn't enough of a pickle, my opponent has Peyton, Thomas Jones and the Jets D. Happy trails!

Just to add fuel to the fire... R Ryan actually called some zone defenses against Atlanta Sunday, and Revis was not on White in man coverage for about 40% of the game. Maybe because he was concerned about Jenkins beating them? Or Gonzo?

Indy has a lot of weapons. Revis may roam more again this week, and may not man up on Wayne the entire game. You just KNOW that Manning will know where Revis is on every snap. I can see the Jets playing a lot of nickel D this week and maybe some zone. Ryan is smart enough to know that an LB can't stay with Clark. Too many teams have made THAT mistake.

Just to add fuel to the fire... R Ryan actually called some zone defenses against Atlanta Sunday, and Revis was not on White in man coverage for about 40% of the game. Maybe because he was concerned about Jenkins beating them? Or Gonzo?

Indy has a lot of weapons. Revis may roam more again this week, and may not man up on Wayne the entire game. You just KNOW that Manning will know where Revis is on every snap. I can see the Jets playing a lot of nickel D this week and maybe some zone. Ryan is smart enough to know that an LB can't stay with Clark. Too many teams have made THAT mistake.

Yeah, and they move Revis around to see if they can mess with Manning's head. They don't want Manning to always know where Revis is. Manning is great at reading what the defense gives him. It's hard not to start Wayne. The real question is do you start Garcon (hand injury, Anthony Gonzalez), but that's another thread.

i will start wayne with confidence in regards to revis. revis is easily the best cover man in the league today, but let us also be realistic. most great cover corners are on teams with good pass rushes, or who blitz a ton. this obviously makes the time you need to stay with the wr alot shorter. even though indy OL pass blocking isnt what is has been in past yrs, it is still pretty good, add that to the fact that manning is the best at disecting defenses and probably the most acurate passer in the game ( needing less seperation by his wr ) and i think you will get a good, but maybe not great game from wayne. NO knock on revis, i just feel like the fact that the jets blitz a ton, and disguise it well has helped him, and that might not be nearly the factor it usually is with the sheriff at the helm sunday.

i will start wayne with confidence in regards to revis. revis is easily the best cover man in the league today, but let us also be realistic. most great cover corners are on teams with good pass rushes, or who blitz a ton. this obviously makes the time you need to stay with the wr alot shorter. even though indy OL pass blocking isnt what is has been in past yrs, it is still pretty good, add that to the fact that manning is the best at disecting defenses and probably the most acurate passer in the game ( needing less seperation by his wr ) and i think you will get a good, but maybe not great game from wayne. NO knock on revis, i just feel like the fact that the jets blitz a ton, and disguise it well has helped him, and that might not be nearly the factor it usually is with the sheriff at the helm sunday.

I disagree. Manning is not going to test Revis, so if Revis covers Wayne all day, I expect BAD #s from Wayne. If Revis bounces around zones or to Clark, then Wayne can have a good day.

If I were a betting man, I would think Revis is going to stay with Wayne almost all game and they are going to bump Clark on every play and have a LB and/or safety cover him. I think the Jets will leave Garcon/Collie in 1-1 or zone coverage all game.

I have Wayne and this is a TOUGH decision.

The more I think about it, the more I think Wayne could be a decent play.

1) Sounds like the Colts will use their starters for the whole game

2) The Denver game. Wayne was shut down, and Manning still torched the #2 ranked pass D in the NFL anyway

Was it Bly that got the R Wayne assignment? I think I read that. Shut him down last week. No matter. Manning has a lot of weapons.

Now... since shutting down Wayne did not stop the Colts passing game against Denver (the #2 ranked pass D in the NFL), will Ryan "waste" his best defensive player to stop Wayne and get beaten elsewhere? I tend to think not. I think the Jets will use nickel and zone a lot. Move Revis around. Manning will be looking for Revis. If he's on Wayne, fine, Wayne is the decoy. I don't think Revis will be on Wayne all day. He wasn't on White all day last Sunday. Why? Jenkins and Gonzalez. They can beat you too. Multiple weapons.

Nickel zone also allows Clark to have to beat a safety instead of a line backer. NO LB can cover Clark. Just a wild guess, I think R Ryan knows that too. I also think that the Jets would like to entice Indy into running the ball. I think Ryan will use his best defensive player in a more versatile role this week. Heck, he might even let him blitz once or twice. He will want to keep Manning guessing as to the where and what assignment Revis has as much as possible.

I expect to see a 3-3-5, a 4-2-5 and more zone than we have seen in the past from the Jets. Revis will surely still get some man coverage assignments, but I think Ryan will mix it up as much as he can. Disguise and surprise. Very hard to surprise Manning... he is the master. But I think that is what Ryan will try to do.

I thought that was a bad report I had read... they must have meant Bailey, and I stupidly repeated their mistake. Oh well.

FWIW, I'm benching Wayne for S Smith NYG

My exact same problem. Wrestling between Wayne or Smith :wacko:

I'm stuck with this decision..

Reggie Wayne vs Revis

B Edwards vs the Colts defense (I have a feeling they're gonna be passing alot)

J Morgan vs Detroit

As much as I really don't care for Edwards and his brick fingers, I think he's the best play out of these 3. While I would LOVE to start Wayne - I'm just not feelin it this week.

fyi: Bly was released in the off-season and joined SF only when one of their starters tore an ACL in pre-season.

I'm still rolling with Bowe.

Im going to say good call, stick to your guns. Revis + everything wrapped up for Indy? Shaaaaky for Wayne.

KC will be dueling with Cincy and with Bowe having a week to get back to form plus Chambers and Charles to draw heat, I'd look for 50-70 plus a score.