[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The Pacific.

evil_gop_liars

I have been looking forward to this since the they announced it would be made. Even if it is only 1/4 as good as BoB, it will be a master piece. Kudos to Hanks and Spielberg. Don't know about the rest of you but anytime I see BoB, I watch it. I hope this lives up to the hype (it should).

I have been looking forward to this since the they announced it would be made. Even if it is only 1/4 as good as BoB, it will be a master piece. Kudos to Hanks and Spielberg. Don't know about the rest of you but anytime I see BoB, I watch it. I hope this lives up to the hype (it should).

+ WW II :wacko:

I really liked the first episode. If you saw BoB this episode highlighted how the war in the Pacific was vastly different from what went on in Europe.

I plan on checking it out, but I don't have HBO so I'll probably have to Pirate some copies. I just recently started to sit down and actually watch BoB from start to finish through the whole series. I only have the 10th (final) one left to watch and then I'm going to start in on the Pacific (assuming I can find a torrent, but I'm sure they are out there). Glad to see they keep putting out high quality WWII productions. :wacko:

I really liked the first episode. If you saw BoB this episode highlighted how the war in the Pacific was vastly different from what went on in Europe.

That's what I liked as well, just the complete difference in tone and visual imagery to really set off how different the Pacific theater was than the European Theater.

My slight fear with the Pacific is that BoB was based off of the book by Stephen Ambrose, you don't get better source material than that...and if you read the book, the mini series is a very true representation of the book. For the Pacific they are pulling from multiple books and sources, so I worry that the story won't hang together quite so vividly and engrossingly as BoB did.

But I'll be surely watching each episode!

WD

My slight fear with the Pacific is that BoB was based off of the book by Stephen Ambrose, you don't get better source material than that...and if you read the book, the mini series is a very true representation of the book. For the Pacific they are pulling from multiple books and sources, so I worry that the story won't hang together quite so vividly and engrossingly as BoB did.

I'm reading the book written for the series, and the narrative DOES seem more disconnected than Ambrose's book.

For all of you who do not have HBO, you can watch The Pacific on the IOI channel. If you have direct TV that's channel 239.

Unfortunately, that channel (same as channel 101, I believe) is only airing the first episode. At the end of Part 1, it said something like "to view future episodes of this series, please tune into HBO...." I'm pretty sure that channel tries to lure you into purchasing HBO. Hope I'm wrong, but if not, I guess I'll wait for the DVD/BlueRay set to come out. I've got the BoB set, and have watched it from start to finish 2-3 times. Awesome.

I think that's what made the Flags of Our Fathers movie so disappointing... the book is a masterpiece, one of my favorites of all time. Was hoping the movie would be anywhere close to as good as the book, and it was terrible. But, I also think my expectations were probably TOO high, as a result of how good BoB was.

It looks like IOI is only airing the first episode as a teaser. I haven't seen any of the other ones scheduled. :wacko:

There is only the first available On Demand, too. I'm guessing they are waiting to release for another one to air.

I will say the first one was excellent. They seemed to capture the visceral chaos of combat and how it fools with your mind better than BoB. Of course, with one episode in, it is hard to tell if the series will be better. That is a pretty high mountain to climb.

so far, i am not impressed with the pacific. it may be that i am more interested in the happenings in europe than other locales, or possibly that i allready got know the guys from BoB, but i am not as into this one.

so far, i am not impressed with the pacific. it may be that i am more interested in the happenings in europe than other locales, or possibly that i allready got know the guys from BoB, but i am not as into this one.

+1

I don't remember how I felt after watching Episode 1 of BoB though. It may be that you have to wait to let the characters develop.

My main complaint is kind of dumb, but why do they all have such long hair? It's distracting. Where's the high and tight?

My second complaint is those that don't like it as much as the European theatre both drive German cars. :wacko:

It was pretty decent.

I think there's a 'been there, done that" factor at play here.

We've seen BOB's... gonna be hard to get that original-type excitement the second go round.

Kinda like after you saw Star Wars the first time... hard for any sci fi too live up after that.

I hope this series captures the intensity of war with the Japanese....an opponent who was so different than the Germans, who would rather die than give up, and who tried to inflict as many casualties on the U.S. as possible even when the war was basically lost. If "the Pacific" can do that, it will take it's place right alongside BoB as one of the greatest war mini-series ever.