[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Teachers, educators, anyone...advice? Much appreciated!

The Hitter

I don't post here much (always enjoy the reading though!!), but I've been around here forever, so I'm looking for some advice/words of wisdon/debate on a possible mid-life career change.

Reading Rovers' post regarding his happiness with his 'career choice' really enflamed an existing feeling that I've had for many years. His story is truly inspring!! Congrats to you Rovers!! This and otehr recent events have caused me to seriously evaluate my life's path. Both in my personal and professional life I feel like I'm missing my mark. Please bear with me as I explain.

On the personal side, I've been going through a separation, and now a divorce, since July of last year. My wife of 8 years decided she 'just wasn't happy anymore'. (Grass looked greener over the fence kinda thing.) My daughter, 5, and son, 2, are my world and I maintain my relationship with my children to the extent (and often more :wacko:) that I am allowed. But I still miss my family daily. I feel like my life's personal slate has been 'wiped clean'. Not by my choice, but nevertheless, it has been done.

On the professional side, I've been working ever since high school in the accounting field. About 17 years total. Started out just as an office assistant in a large accounting office, running deposits to the bank, making copies, etc. Kind of an office gopher. I started college, but never finished, preferring the work experience over the classroom. While being non-degreed has led to some doors never opening, I have been somewhat successful climbing the ladder and have gradually worked my way up through various companies to my current job as a Controller for a $15M import/export company. I've always loved working with the details of numbers and figures, and I'm a self-confessed stat guy (which is where I'm guessing the fantasy football draw comes from!).

Here lies my dilemma. I am good at my job, am compensated accordingly, and am considered to be successful. I like what I do, and still have opportunity to grow and achieve. But I feel like I'm not as happy as I should be with this career. I would write it off to my current personal issues, but I've actually felt this way for many years. I've always wanted to be a teacher or a coach. Something where I felt like I was contributing directly to a child's or young person's life. But I've never been able to mentally reconcile leaving a successful career to chase a dream. I always felt that I would be making a financial decision that my wife and children would have to pay the penalty for. These are the people that relied on me to provide and support them, and here I was considering a significant pay cut just to find my happy place in this world. I could never pull the trigger on that decision.

However, due to my current home situation, I find my self thinking that maybe it's time for that decision. My slate has been wiped half-clean. Why not wipe the rest clean and start over completely? I'm a very even-keel, think-it-through kind of guy. It terrifies me to stand on this cliff debating the decision to jump. I also know that if I stand on that cliff long enough, I can and will find a logical way to talk myself out of making the jump. Just as I feel I have for many years. I know that I love kids and relish the idea of impacting their lives in a positive way. I can't tell you how many times in my life I've heard other people say that I should've been a teacher. That I'd be great at something like that. I just wonder if this feeling is so overwhelming now due to me missing my kids/family as much as I do. I know that I will always find a way to support and take care of my kids so even if I failed at teaching, I would find a way to be ok financially. But given the employment market, I find myself questioning my sanity to leave a perfectly fine job just because I'm 'not happy'. See how my mind works? Point. Counterpoint. LOL.

So anyway, that's why I'm here. To ask the Huddle community's thoughts. Any advice, arguments or views would be very much appreciated! I am at a crossroad in my life and would love to listen to anyone with anything to add.

To all those that work in the education field...how would I even begin? If I go that route, should I try to just get a teaching certificate or complete my full degree while continuing my current job? Or while working as a teacher's assistant? Any other possible scenarios that I've not mentioned?

Sorry for the lengthy post, but this is how my mind rambles on. It's a major, MAJOR decision for me right now.

Again, any post is truly welcome. And thanks in advance.

I'm sorry to hear about your divorce. My advice would be the same advice I give people who are faced with big decisions after experiencing a death in the family. That advice is to not make any really big decisions like the one that you are contemplating for at least 6 months to a year. It sounds as if right now there are too many different types of emotions that you are going through to make a good rational decision at this time.

I admire your wish to get into a profession where you can have a positive impact on kids. There are many different part-time volunteer positions that you can get involved in right now without taking the complete plunge. It will help you to meet people that are already in that field of work and it could help you narrow down exactly what it is you would like to do.

Who knows? By the time you're ready to take the plunge the economy could be doing better thus making you feel a little better about the possibility of being able to return to your current line of work in case you decide later that the teaching/coaching field isn't for you. There's my 2 cents.

I taught every level, from Jr. H.S. to Grad school over a 30 year period and loved it.

My daughter graduated from U of I w/ a communications degree and was hired by Target corp in Minny. After 2.5 years, she hated the number crunching, and asked me for advice as to what to do. I suggested, come home, get your teaching Credentials, and TEACH! She did, in the process also got a Masters in Education, found a job in Chicago, and has been happy ever since. It took her about 3 years to do it, mostly full-time, but lived on her own most of that time. I would suggest a similar route for you, but full-time school w/ your responsibilities could make it tough.

The teacher's aide job could be a testing ground, but it also doesn't really give you the best idea of what teaching is all about. It depends a lot on the cooperating teacher.

What do you want to teach? What grade level? Where?

There is a need for teachers, but it varies from state to state and city to city.

Anything else, let me know.

one word of caution.....with the current economic conditions, teaching jobs may be hard to come by. states, counties, and cities are cutting budgets left and right and sadly education is getting cut too. so you will have a line of younger teachers in front of you no matter how good you are. stay strong!! and dont quit your day job til you know for sure you want to do this.

dmarc beat me to it. Not meaning to discourage you per se but keep in mind the realities of the situation - even in better times teaching jobs were hard to come by, never mind the low level pay, the stripping of teacher authority in recent times etc etc. I say this having a brother who is a teacher as well as a variety of friends and this is my (strong) impression from them nearly every time. In fact that would be my best advice is talk to teachers, esp those in your area. Don't get me wrong, I think teaching is one of the most important of all professions, have very very high respect for them (a great teacher is pure gold), and think it would be rewarding and all....but basically, careful what you ask for. FWIW

I would also urge caution.

To begin with since you don't have a college degree I assume you would have to go back to college. Some states have alternative certification programs for people with non-teaching college degrees, but as others have pointed out above, as more already certified teachers fall back into the job pool, the demand for alternative certification is drying up.

Teaching is becoming more and more driven by numbers, scores, and demographics. No longer can you get your text book and hunker down in your room and really teach your students. Special Ed modifications and requirements are a bookkeeping nightmare. Curriculum is getting more and more structured and scheduled, ie you teach a for 2 days, then teach b for 3 days and then teach c for a day and then test. If too many fail you have to reteach and then retest - repeat.

Sadly many students just don't care. And you will be held responsible if they don't pass. Tutoring sessions on your conference period, after school and on Saturdays. Calls to parents, discipline reports to fill out, the list is almost endless.

Low pay. When I moved from a retail management position to a teaching position 14 years ago I took a $20,000 pay cut. Of course I had a lot more time off during holidays and weekends and summers, so my rate per hour actually wasn't that much different.

If you have the ability to take some time off without quitting your job, I'd suggest you see about being a substitute teacher. Subs are usually just glorified baby-sitters but I think it would give you a sample of what you could expect as a full-time teacher.

Bottom line, if this is a calling for you, go for it, the world needs more GOOD teachers. But be realistic, teaching isn't what it used to be.

If you have the ability to take some time off without quitting your job, I'd suggest you see about being a substitute teacher. Subs are usually just glorified baby-sitters but I think it would give you a sample of what you could expect as a full-time teacher.

Bottom line, if this is a calling for you, go for it, the world needs more GOOD teachers. But be realistic, teaching isn't what it used to be.

Completely agree with this part. Research it before you get into it. I've taught in a special education class for the past ten years. I love it, but I knew what I was getting myself into. Know what jobs are available before you commit yourself to a program.

What about coaching first? I assume you were thinking about teaching and coaching, but there are coaches are the local high school who are not teachers, they're coaches. You could do that while remaining gainfully employed I would think.

Been through a divorce, so I can relate to a lot of what you are thinking. As others have said, don't make a decision yet. Divorce has a way of really changing your perspective on lots of things, and this change is a very serious one. Especially since you still have young children to provide for.

And one thing to consider is look locally and see if there are mentoring programs available for you to mentor young people who need a bit of a nudge. As a guy who sounds like he went to the school of hard knocks, I would say you are an excellent role model as someone who pulled himself up by the bootstraps and was able to make something of his life. And a successful one at that.

Have you considered volunteering?

I worked in a maximum security, juvenile, therapeutic community for eight years as a counselor. I was also active in coaching football there.

The facility, in which I worked, had several dedicated volunteers ( but never enough), who helped with tutoring and coaching some kids who really needed it.

It might be a nice intermediate step. As rewarding as this kind of work can be, it has it's drawbacks.

Good luck to you.

Edited by Catfish

What about coaching first? I assume you were thinking about teaching and coaching, but there are coaches are the local high school who are not teachers, they're coaches. You could do that while remaining gainfully employed I would think.

Exactly the point I was going to make. Here in California, only 50% of most coaches are also teachers.

If you want to coach, decide on the sports, research some local clinics where you can brush up on coaching techniques and fundamentals (If you want to get into football - go to usafootball.com), then pick up the phone and start calling the local high school athletic directors, and find the contact info for local pop warner or rec leagues.

Be up front with everyone - while most programs like to have coaching experience, they value your passion for the sport and kids and making a difference much more. And you'd be able to give enough time coaching that you would probably feel some fulfillment, and still be able to keep your job.

At this point in your life, it would be hard to jump into teaching. Minimum requirements in most states are a bachelors degree, and teaching credentials. If you decide its really what you want to do - finish up your degree while working and go from there.

And not that I want to get too personal - and I don't know if you're paying significant child support or not - but are you legally able to leave your current employment after the divorce?

I know here in California most divorced men paying child support are dead-locked into their jobs for a long, long time.

Have you considered volunteering?

I worked in a maximum security, juvenile, therapeutic community for eight years as a counselor. I was also active in coaching football there.

The facility, in which I worked, had several dedicated volunteers ( but never enough), who helped with tutoring and coaching some kids who really needed it.

It might be a nice intermediate step. As rewarding as this kind of work can be, it has it's drawbacks.

Good luck to you.

This is what I was thinking... Volunteering, or just finding a way to get into the coaching field without necessarily quitting your day job, might be the best/safest way to go, at least until you get a better idea of whether or not you could make it a career. I've always wished I would have gone that route (teaching/coaching sports, or something sports-related) as well, but have never had the courage to leave a very stable career with my current employer. I volunteered as a coach/ref some when I was fairly new to my career, and loved it. At the time, though, changing careers seemed crazy. Now, I often wonder if I shouldn't have just taken the leap. It sounds like it's the perfect time for you to give it a shot, though, or at least dip your foot in the water to see how it feels. :wacko:

Edited by Gopher

I'm wondering how old you are. By your description, I put you at about 35. Not sure if that even really matters, but it might make a difference as to how people reply with advice for you.

No matter what, the decision that you make needs to put your two kids as the highest priority. Going through a divorce is probably going to be somewhat more costly than you think (much more than lawyers' fees). Not sure what your arrangements will be as far as child support goes, but even just dividing up your stuff and then replacing the stuff that you didn't get (furniture, movies, kitchen appliances, dishes, etc.), and then buying new stuff for your kids so that they feel at home when they are with you (clothes for your house, bedroom furniture, etc.)... that's all going to be a huge expense. You might want to wait at least a solid year before you do something that will change your steady, solid income at this point. Use that year to research what you are thinking about doing. Call and talk to some teachers... maybe take a couple of days to just sit in on some of your own kids classrooms.

Once you feel good about the post-divorce daily living arrangements, then follow your dreams. But again, your kids' well being comes first.

Good luck!

Guys, I really, really appreciate all the feedback. I knew I'd receive some helpful insight. You guys are truly a great support group for any situation!!

To answer several of your questions...I will be 41 in August. And no, this feeling isn't totally an effect of my personal situation. I have felt this way since my mid-twenties, but never seemed to be able to make the jump. I do realize that my divorce has probably caused me to further investigate this feeling, but sometimes, like Rover, life deals you a mess, and it turns out to be a blessing.

While I am 100% against divorce and have been devastated by my wife's decision and it's effects on my life and more specifically my children's lives, we are and have been proceeding amicably. All assets and financial matters (including child support) have been agreed upon, as well as time-sharing of the children. She just wants her 'freedom' so there isn't much of a fight about anything. I don't think the amount of my support payments is anything that would prevent me from making a career change. If anything, I feel that my emotional state-of-mind would be enhanced around my kids if I were doing something with my life that I truly enjoy. Maybe my logic is wrong, but I know I will one day stand and preach to my children that they should do something they love with their life. So why not listen to my own advice?

I have been a coach, and a volunteer for many years. I feel an unbelievable sense of pride and accomplishment when I see a child smile when they finally 'get' something. Whether it be a follow thru on a jump shot, a QB's read of a defense, a correct answer on a mulitplication problem, or the sounding out & recognition of a word as they read a book. That feeling is something that I've never felt in my own line of work. The coaching part would be great and probably where I'd end up just because I've been involved in sports my entire life, but I truly feel like my heart would be content to teach in a classroom to younger children. Probably somewhere between Pre-K up to 3rd or 4th grade. And pretty much any subject.

I currently live in Forsyth County in Georgia and the school districts around here are some of the best in the state. I know the education system as a whole is suffering from personnel cutbacks and financial woes, but it doesn't seem to be as prevalent around here as in other places.

Again, my thanks to everyone who chimed in with their thoughts. All are truly appreciated!!

Edited by The Hitter

Good luck to you, Hitter. Follow your dreams. I'd start taking night classes now until I could financially afford to dive into school full-time and get that degree. That will unlock the doors. It may take years, but you'll get there one day.

Don't ever stop chasing your dreams. :wacko:

Hell, one day I'll have Christie Brinkley without the restraining order.

one word of caution.....with the current economic conditions, teaching jobs may be hard to come by. states, counties, and cities are cutting budgets left and right and sadly education is getting cut too. so you will have a line of younger teachers in front of you no matter how good you are. stay strong!! and dont quit your day job til you know for sure you want to do this.

Yup.

Teaching jobs are hard to come by these days.

My wife is a teacher - has been for 12 years now and may not have a job next school year due to budget cuts.

My guess is someone just starting into the profession will have a very tough time getting employment as there are a number of teachers sitting on the sidelines already waiting for positions to open and they almost certainly will get first dibs.

If you teach math or science, that may be different.

I am no longer shocked by the sound advice given here. I can agree on just about everything everyone has stated. I am astounded by the similarities between your discision and the one I made over 20 years ago. I was working full time with a wife and four children and going to night school to finish a degree in business. But the more I learned the less enthusiastic I was becoming.

And then two people that went to church with us told me that I should think about becoming a teacher instead of pursuing the business degree. The more I thought about it...the more I agreed. To make this story short, I followed their suggestion and got a teaching degree in history (which I love). I took the first opening I could get at our local public school (the In School Suspension supervisor) and had to write a grant that basically paid my salary. That was in 1989 and I left a job with Coca-Cola that paid about 36K for my education job that paid 18K.

Twenty-one years later I still get up in the morning not quite believing that I am going to a "job" because I truly love what I get to do. After one year running ISS I got into the classroom teaching English/American History (later I got to go full time teaching History and civics), coaching volleyball and basketball and many, many other activities. It was one of the best decisions I have ever made.

Oh yeah, I was 35 by the time I got in the classroom. My advice to you? Do it.

Good luck.

I am no longer shocked by the sound advice given here. I can agree on just about everything everyone has stated. I am astounded by the similarities between your discision and the one I made over 20 years ago. I was working full time with a wife and four children and going to night school to finish a degree in business. But the more I learned the less enthusiastic I was becoming.

And then two people that went to church with us told me that I should think about becoming a teacher instead of pursuing the business degree. The more I thought about it...the more I agreed. To make this story short, I followed their suggestion and got a teaching degree in history (which I love). I took the first opening I could get at our local public school (the In School Suspension supervisor) and had to write a grant that basically paid my salary. That was in 1989 and I left a job with Coca-Cola that paid about 36K for my education job that paid 18K.

Twenty-one years later I still get up in the morning not quite believing that I am going to a "job" because I truly love what I get to do. After one year running ISS I got into the classroom teaching English/American History (later I got to go full time teaching History and civics), coaching volleyball and basketball and many, many other activities. It was one of the best decisions I have ever made.

Oh yeah, I was 35 by the time I got in the classroom. My advice to you? Do it.

Good luck.

HR - Amazing story! I admire you for your ability to make that jump. Did you go through many, if any, days of regret or questioning of your decision? Simply due to the financial ramifications? I get a strong sense that I would not go through those days. That my joy of working with kids and the pride in what impact I can have in their lives would greatly overwhelm any sense of financial regret. Maybe I'm wrong. Given my current family situation, I don't feel like my choice would financially 'penalize' my family. I'm sure you had to think that through. (Although, I would guess that your decision was made easier by a loving wife's support.). :wacko:.

Thanks again for everyone's input. It has really meant a lot to me to hear from so many people whose opinions I have respected for so long.

Once you feel good about the post-divorce daily living arrangements, then follow your dreams. But again, your kids' well being comes first.

Yep, best of luck to you and take heed of Savage Beating's wise reminder that the kids needs and dreams come first ...