[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

31,000 rounds of ammo under the stairs

cre8tiff

This past weekend we camped with the Boy Scouts and one of the scout masters brought his shotguns to shoot skeet. So while we are setting up, he mentioned he has 31,000 round of ammunition in his house for his myriad of guns. (But was unhappy that .45 was in such short supply, he only has 500 rounds). It immediately occurred to me that he should probably let the fire department know he had that much ammunition in his house, you know, in case they run inside to put out a FIRE? He looked at me like I was crazy and said he didn't need to do that because modern rounds don't go off in fires. He has the ammunition stored in coolers, since he couldn't buy ammo boxes anywhere, so there is no protection from any fire there.

I was a bit :wacko:. Those of you with that kind of a stockpile, do you let your local firehouse know you have that much ammunition stored?

Edited by cre8tiff

This past weekend we camped with the Boy Scouts and one of the scout masters brought his shotguns to shoot skeet. So while we are setting up, he mentioned he has 31,000 round of ammunition in his house for his myriad of guns. (But was unhappy that .45 was in such short supply, he only has 500 rounds). It immediately occurred to me that he should probably let the fire department know he had that much ammunition in his house, you know, in case they run inside to put out a FIRE? He looked at me like I was crazy and said he didn't need to do that because modern rounds don't go off in fires. He has the ammunition stored in coolers, since he couldn't buy ammo boxes anywhere, so there is no protection from any fire there.

I was a bit :wacko:. Those of you with that kind of a stockpile, do you let your local firehouse know you have that much ammunition stored?

I thought that you needed some kind of a permit to have more than 10,000 rounds legally, but that might be in my state and not a federal thing.

31,000 rounds is not as much as you think if you are an instructor. Most of that would be .22, and you blow through that very quickly, especially if you are running a shooting range at a Boy Scout camp.

I worked a weekend long training shoot last year, and the average person used 750 rounds. If you are supplying, then 31,000 is not a ton. There were 30+ people training at that shoot.

I keep my ammo in the gun safes that have a 4 hour fire rating. Basically the house will burn all the way the ground before the safes fail. Also in most cases if the the cartridges are in a cheap 1 hour safe or even an insulated ammo box they will not go off, and if they do go off it will be very anti-climatic. What happens is the cartridges warm up slowly, not all at once, basically cooking the powder which greatly reduces the energy it has when if finally reaches it's flash point. That's not to say they wouldn't still be dangerous, but I'd be much more concerned with household chemical exploding than I would with the bullets. If stored properly like mine are they will never reach their flash point, so there is nothing to worry about.

BTW 500 rounds of .45 ACP isn't all that much. I've shot that many in a single day before. It makes for some sore forearms, but it's a lot of fun.

31,000 rounds? You have to love Sam's Club!

Seriously, a bullet can explode when heated but it is nothing like when it is shot through a barrel. It is much more of a pop since all it does is push the bullet a fraction of an inch out of the shell. They are not explosive. There are other things that are MUCH bigger a problem like having an acetlyn torch or compressed gas.

Considering the Boy Scouts is a paramilitary organization, I'm sure he's well armed for the coming Soviet suprise invasion in Colorado.

I was surprised to find out that the boy scouts are actually on the list to protect the homeland, right after the Post Office. Seems some of those postal workers should be higher on the list than that!

Edited by cre8tiff

Considering the Boy Scouts is a paramilitary organization, I'm sure he's well armed for the coming Soviet suprise invasion in Colorado.

It will be a Mexican invasion. And this makes me want to go piss in my radiator.

31,000 rounds sounds like a lot to me. Wouldn't that take up a lot of spoce?

It depends what type of rounds. 31,000 rounds of .22 LR is only 62 bricks. That would only take up about 1/8 of one of my safes. If it is 31,000 of .50 BMG then yes it would take up a lot of space. I've probably got close to 10,000 rounds of various stuff and it takes up about half of one of my safes. BTW next house I build, I'm getting rid of the safes, and building a gun vault which will double as a safe room / storm shelter.

Edited by Perchoutofwater

It depends what type of rounds. 31,000 rounds of .22 LR is only 62 bricks. That would only take up about 1/8 of one of my safes. If it is 31,000 of .50 BMG then yes it would take up a lot of space. I've probably got close to 10,000 rounds of various stuff and it takes up about half of one of my safes. BTW next house I build, I'm getting rid of the safes, and building a gun vault which will double as a safe room / storm shelter.

Go all out and build a fallout shelter.

Go all out and build a fallout shelter.

I'm not all that concerned with needing a fall out shelter, but we do live in an area prone to tornadoes. So so something build to withstand that would be nice. I could do it fairly easy, it wouldn't be much more expensive than a regular room. Frankly if we have to survive a fallout, I'm not sure I want to survive.

I'm not all that concerned with needing a fall out shelter, but we do live in an area prone to tornadoes. So so something build to withstand that would be nice. I could do it fairly easy, it wouldn't be much more expensive than a regular room. Frankly if we have to survive a fallout, I'm not sure I want to survive.

+1

You liar . . . you KNOW you would want to survive so you could proclaim how poor Obama is on national defense and security . . . . . :wacko:

Underwear bomber

Fort Hood

Times Square

Head of homeland security chasing down ex-military, and calling people that think government is too big and own a gun a terrorist, but not wanting to call a terrorist a terrorist.

I'm pretty sure we don't need a nuclear fall out to proclaim how weak Obama is. :tup:

:wacko:wolverines

Not me..... Can't wait to go Road Warrior....

Underwear bomber

Fort Hood

Times Square

Head of homeland security chasing down ex-military, and calling people that think government is too big and own a gun a terrorist, but not wanting to call a terrorist a terrorist.

I'm pretty sure we don't need a nuclear fall out to proclaim how weak Obama is. :tup:

:tup: Nice Perch . . . I guess then after

9/11 (seems like a big one here)

The Shoe Bomber

The DC Sniper

Anthrax in the mail

2002 attack at LAX ticket counter

2006 attack at UNC

Any of those ring a bell? All during GWB. I guess that Bushie was also very weak on terrorism? :wacko:

Some things you cant predict or stop Perch . . you should know that.

31,000 rounds? You have to love Sam's Club!

Seriously, a bullet can explode when heated but it is nothing like when it is shot through a barrel. It is much more of a pop since all it does is push the bullet a fraction of an inch out of the shell. They are not explosive. There are other things that are MUCH bigger a problem like having an acetlyn torch or compressed gas.

this. i've been a proffesional firefighter for eleven years. the threat from an unchambered round is minimal. i'd be a little more concerned that the guy is a :wacko:

As has been said already, 31K really isn't that much, and household chemicals are much more dangerous in a fire than ammo is.

Bingo - ammo doesn't send bullets flying when set off by fire. Mythbusters covered this one some time ago I think. Guns make ammo work because they contain the extreme pressure and direct all the energy in one direction behind the bullet - that doesn't happen in a fire.

I have way more than 31k rounds and have friends with high six figure counts. Boy Scouts :tup:

... and .45 is still in pretty short supply. You can find it, but typically in low quantities and it's very expensive. :wacko: