[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

DirectTV

tazinib1

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:wacko:

OK, Directv sux. They'll give me the DVR upgrade and knock off $10/ a month for me to re-up right now, but say the offered deal is only for new customers. So I just told them I'd wait till July when my contract is up and cancel it then re-up as a new customer to get the sweet deal. Maybe I can even get Sunday Ticket out of the deal as well. :tup:

- Weather can be an issue, but probably not in SD. Was occasionally a problem for me in South Dakota, but not really at all since move to CA six years ago.

- Customer service is very friendly, for the most part, but I have had a couple of bad experiences, where they were adamant that they couldn't follow through on a previous commitment because it wasn't "in their notes." In other words, anytime I now have them tell me that they're going to offer something... discount, free HBO/Showtime for 6 months, free RedZone channel with Sunday Ticket purchase, etc., I make sure they confirm that it's in their notes. Perfect example was last year... Opening day for NFL, I realized I had no HD, no RedZone Channel, etc. I called them all afternoon, but couldn't get through. Called again Monday, and after waiting for 15 minutes, was told that they had no record (in their notes) that they had previously offered me the free SuperFan package. Two months before that, I had told them that I didn't want the Sunday Ticket unless I got the Super Fan for free... they passed me to customer retention, and agreed to give me what I wanted. Two months later, they had no record of that conversation. :tup:

- They DO nickel and dime you... If you add up the services you want ($53 and change), does that include the $5 "additional receiver" fee that they charge, per receiver (after the first receiver)? I have the basics... no movie channels, two DVR's, a third non-DVR receiver in the bedroom, and just one "extra", which is the $12 sports pack (golf channel, all of the FSN channels, ec.). My monthly bill is right around $100 on "normal" months, but more often than not, it's more than that, due to NFL, March Madness, or UFC fights (although I purchase less of those now than I did a year or two ago). So, if you have three receivers, you'll be charged $5 each for #2 and #3. There is also the monthly DVR charge, as well as a monthly HD charge (I believe... don't have bill in front of me right now). The free DVR upgrade most likely means that they'll "lease" you a couple of DVR receivers, rather than charge you $99 each (or whatever it is) for each one... not that the monthly fees will be waived (I'm guessing).

- The last time I had a service call (dish had to be moved slightly and reinforced, due to wind moving it to where branches were causing service issues), they asked if, as a top valued customer, I wanted to use my one free service visit per year (I of course said yes). At the time, I just assumed that every customer was a "valued" customer, and everyone gets one free yearly call. Maybe that's not the case, and the hundreds thousands I have paid them for NFL/UFC puts me at an "elite" status? :wacko:

- If they screw something up, they're very quick to offer you six months of free HBO or Showtime, rather than take something off your bill. Obviously, this costs them absolutely nothing, and just increases their chances of suckering you in to adding a movie package to your service once the six months run out (been there... it's hard to get rid of HBO once you're used to it). But, if you push them hard enough (tell them you have no interest in HBO, etc.), they will eventually cave and give you something better... like $10 off your monthly bill for six months. I've had them give me that a couple of times, for things that I wasn't happy with. Wasn't even necessarily something they messed up... Might have just been something I was happy with, that I claimed was unclear to me at the time. One example was when I realized that we had been getting charged the $5 "additional receiver" fee for a receiver that had been in our garage (unused) for over a year. They said they couldn't refund me the $5 (for who knows how many months), but they gave me $10 off for six months, as well as Showtime for six months. The downside of that was explaining to my wife that we were losing Showtime, six months later, after she had become a "Dexter" junkie. :tup:

I'll say this... Overall, I'm pretty happy with DirecTV. On the other hand, if it wasn't for the fact that they have exclusive rights to the NFL package (and I'm a MN fan living in the Bay area), I don't think it would be too difficult for me to justify going with another service. In this day and age, there are cheaper/better options, and I think DTV realizes that the NFL package is the only thing that allows them to nickel and dime customers (or at least customers who are NFL fans like me) like they do.

Yep its $50.23 per month that includes tax and all DVR fee's. And that price is locked in for a full 12 months. I also am getting Starz/Showtime free for 3 months which I will more than likely cancel when the times up. However, Starz is the channel "Spartacus: Blood and Sand" is on and I'm a HUGH fan.

Just looked at the package and I'm not a real HD whore so it really doesn't bother either way. I'm saving $10 a month by not having HD service. So now my bill is $41.99 without the protection plan at an additional fee of $5.99 a month. On the fence on whether or not I need it. So....

Getting the Choice Xtra package that gives me pretty much everything I want at a locked in price of $41.99 a month for 12 months.

Also for those that are interested, I just checked the cost of NFL Sunday Ticket and right now it is $314.93 or 7 payments of $44.99....yeowzers.

ETA:

I've never had DVR. I can save an additional $7 a month plus by not having DVR service. Is DVR really all that? My bill would be $34.99 so I'm saving $29 a month for the Choice Xtra package as it stands now.

Edited by tazinib1

I've never had DVR. I can save an additional $7 a month plus by not having DVR service. Is DVR really all that? My bill would be $34.99 so I'm saving $29 a month for the Choice Xtra package as it stands now.

Yes, DVR is all that. Once you have it you will never go back. It's one of those things that you just can't explain to someone how good it is to have. You have to get it.

So lots of people tell you they have no problems... which is great.

But be aware that LOTS of people also have problems.

This link is not a joke:

http://www.la.bbb.org/Business-Report/DirecTV-Inc-81000357

DirecTV has an F rating from the Better Business Bureau. It's hard work to get that kind of a rating. It was enough to scare me away on my recent search for new service.

In comparison, Comcast had a C. Dish Network was a C is well. You'd have to look up your local Cox... maybe they are just as bad.

I fricking hate monopolies, or even duopolies. Personally, I'm building my own DVR for broadcast TV, and hooking up Boxee with Hulu, Netflix, and Justin.tv. Also, you may want to think hard about a 2 year contract with Google TV coming out this summer. I bet a lot of people are going to be bummed that they are locked in when they realize what they can get for free.

Yes, DVR is all that. Once you have it you will never go back. It's one of those things that you just can't explain to someone how good it is to have. You have to get it.

+1 billion

So convenient to watch series on your time and not whenever it's scheduled. Not to mention the pause live TV feature. Well worth it.

I had Directv for years. I never got free anything and I'm a nice guy. I stopped thinking the NFL package was worth it, particularly as half the season I'm coaching soccer games on Sunday afternoons.

Finally, and the reason I switched back to cable, I live in Florida and we get many heavy rain/thunderstorms and my reception was going out a lot, particularly in spring and summer months.

Take it from someone who had it & then dropped it. Don't pass up the good deal on getting the free box.

I had DirecTV for years in California and loved it...no problems, great service, had the NFL package and life was grand.

Moved to Texas and that changed real quick. I was traveling when the service rep came to install the dish/setup. When I got home a few days later the TV wasn't working so I called their Service department. They ran me through all the usual steps and still it didn't work...this was the end of August/first of September, getting near football season and my NFL package wasn't working. So they said they could send out a service rep...in mid-September. So I said that's okay and would they please credit me the 2 weeks that I wouldn't be getting football and she said no, they didn't do that. So I canceled my NFL package right then and there...she didn't bother to even stop me, just turned it off. So I got off the phone and started looking at the cabling the service rep had done and noticed that the idiot didn't put the DSL filter into the phone line jack. Put that in and the TV worked...but I canceled the crap anyways and went over to Dish. They nickel and dime you as well but their service here is much better.

Is that finally working correctly now?

Been working okay...had to have a service guy out about a month ago as I lost half of my channels during a thunderstorm. That guy was great and got up on the roof and found the problem in no time...said the wind had just knocked the dish around a bit and threw it out of alignment.

Looks pretty damn sweet on my new Samsung 55 in. LED/LCD flat panel... :wacko:

+1 You should definitely get DVR.

I'd also check out if you have a buddy (or use one of the huddlers here) to get the referral link. It will credit both parties 100 bones for you hooking up new service. That looks like about 3 months of free service for you. It's a win for both people. GL.

So lots of people tell you they have no problems... which is great.

But be aware that LOTS of people also have problems.

This link is not a joke:

http://www.la.bbb.org/Business-Report/DirecTV-Inc-81000357

DirecTV has an F rating from the Better Business Bureau. It's hard work to get that kind of a rating. It was enough to scare me away on my recent search for new service.

In comparison, Comcast had a C. Dish Network was a C is well. You'd have to look up your local Cox... maybe they are just as bad.

I fricking hate monopolies, or even duopolies. Personally, I'm building my own DVR for broadcast TV, and hooking up Boxee with Hulu, Netflix, and Justin.tv. Also, you may want to think hard about a 2 year contract with Google TV coming out this summer. I bet a lot of people are going to be bummed that they are locked in when they realize what they can get for free.

For anyone who doesn't want to build their own DVR or wait for Google TV, a standalone TiVo box can be a great option. The service is $12 per month. Hook up an antenna for locals, and you're set with networks. It also gives you access to youtube, amazon, and Netflix.

I have it, but I'm also building a DVR this summer too. Boxee is a sweet piece of software and soon to be hardware. Everyone should take a look at a site like clicker.com to see what shows are already available online. For ESPN, their web version, ESPN3 is pretty good stuff too.

Edit: Refurbished HD TiVos are on sale on the TiVo website for $99.

Edited by Egret

For anyone who doesn't want to build their own DVR or wait for Google TV, a standalone TiVo box can be a great option. The service is $12 per month. Hook up an antenna for locals, and you're set with networks. It also gives you access to youtube, amazon, and Netflix.

I have it, but I'm also building a DVR this summer too. Boxee is a sweet piece of software and soon to be hardware. Everyone should take a look at a site like clicker.com to see what shows are already available online. For ESPN, their web version, ESPN3 is pretty good stuff too.

Edit: Refurbished HD TiVos are on sale on the TiVo website for $99.

It was your blog that pointed me to ESPN360, which was awesome. I had no idea it was there, and I could watch all kinds of live sports through it for free.

But, it's only available as long as I have my internet through Comcast... if I switch to Qwest, it goes away I guess.

Going on 2 years now with Direct TV. I like it a lot but am considering switching to VIOS thru Verizon.

I had DISH prior to Direct. The big difference was with the insurance. Both cost $5.99 month but DISH charged a $99 service call on top of that and Direct TV has no additional charge. BTW, I never had to call them.

I do lose the signal now and then during a real bad storm but its not that often.

Going on 2 years now with Direct TV. I like it a lot but am considering switching to VIOS thru Verizon.

I had DISH prior to Direct. The big difference was with the insurance. Both cost $5.99 month but DISH charged a $99 service call on top of that and Direct TV has no additional charge. BTW, I never had to call them.

I do lose the signal now and then during a real bad storm but its not that often.

So, say if you had a problem. Couldn't you just call up DTV and say you wanted the insurance. Then once they sign you up, call them the next day and say you have an issue? :wacko: Just an idea.

Also... I own all my own boxes so if I were ever to unsubscribe I would keep them.

I'd double check this. I know they don't care too much about older recievers but I'm pretty sure I've heard they want any HD recievers you have back if you unsubscribe.

Years ago, I bought an HD DVR at Costco thinking I'd save money in the long run rather than "renting" it from Directv. DIdn't matter, they still charged me the $5 receiver monthly fee regardless (first receiver is free).

This is why I'll never pay for a reciever upgrade from them. Can't justify them charging me $100-200 up front and then another $5 a month on top of that and then I have to give it back if I unsubscribe.

Edited by myhousekey

I'd double check this. I know they don't care too much about older recievers but I'm pretty sure I've heard they want any HD recievers you have back if you unsubscribe.

Years ago, I bought an HD DVR at Costco thinking I'd save money in the long run rather than "renting" it from Directv. DIdn't matter, they still charged me the $5 receiver monthly fee regardless (first receiver is free).

This is why I'll never pay for a reciever upgrade from them. Can't justify them charging me $100-200 up front and then another $5 a month on top of that and then I have to give it back if I unsubscribe.

Back in the day (7-10 years ago), you had to purchase the receivers. I "own" 2 or 3 of them, actually. They still offered promotions, where they would give them to new owners for free, however, so I don't think I ever had to actually purchase them. Now, with the DVR/HD receivers, they generally lease them, so you're required to return them when you cancel service. Basically, I think the ones that people own are so outdated that they would have very little use for them... Not to mention, the only remotes that work with those old receivers are outdated as well. The installation techs that we've used just tell us to hold on to them, in case we need to replace a receiver in an emergency, but other than that, they're worth pretty much nothing.

Another reason not to lock in for two years:

Apple Announces a new Apple TV Streaming device for $100

Between this new Apple TV, Google TV, and the huge amount of HD streaming websites and methods cropping up... I think the traditional cable and satellite methods will be dinosaurs before your contract is up.

So, say if you had a problem. Couldn't you just call up DTV and say you wanted the insurance. Then once they sign you up, call them the next day and say you have an issue? :wacko: Just an idea.

I'm sure they will be wise to you but you get an A for effort.

I'm sure they will be wise to you but you get an A for effort.

I did it with my local cable company a few years ago. It was actually one of the phone reps ideas so I can't take credit but it worked like a charm on cox cable. Regardless, if you are covered by the insurance, do they really go back and check to see how long you were covered? What if it was a week later... unless they have something in a contract staying that it covers after a certain time, I don't think they can really "get" you with anything. I dunno, might worth a shot for one of you guys if you have a problem. Worst they could do is say "no" I assume. No big deal though, just thought it might help a brotha out.

Perfection since 1998 for us. I have only once had a problem that they didn't somehow solve while we were still on the phone. For that they shipped me a new, larger memory DVR. No problems with reception in the house or when we had an apartment. We do not have HD.

It was your blog that pointed me to ESPN360, which was awesome. I had no idea it was there, and I could watch all kinds of live sports through it for free.

But, it's only available as long as I have my internet through Comcast... if I switch to Qwest, it goes away I guess.

Glad I could point you to something good. :wacko: There is a ton of great stuff out there with more and more coming every week.