[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

String Trimmer

matt770

Mine bit the dust after 8 years. It's probably just a carburetor issue, but the repair cost is about as much as a new trimmer. It was a John Deere, cut well, but I had trouble with it for years, temperamental starting and sometimes stopping for no reason. Anyone know which models are known to have more reliable engines? The ones I'm seeing at Home Depot feel cheap and flimsy until you get into the more expensive Echo models. I don't want to pay more than $100-$150.

Then there are the Black & Decker and Worx rechargeable trimmers, I'm tempted to go with one of these but I'm concerned about power and battery life. Any advice appreciated.

I subscribe to the "you get what you pay for" theory. If you buy a low end one from Sears or Home Cheapo, you'll be buying a new one in 3-5 years. Buy yourself a nice Stihl, might cost you $250, but it'll last you 20 years if you take care of it.

I subscribe to the "you get what you pay for" theory. If you buy a low end one from Sears or Home Cheapo, you'll be buying a new one in 3-5 years. Buy yourself a nice Stihl, might cost you $250, but it'll last you 20 years if you take care of it.

+1

I have one that I think I paid about $180 for and it works great. I forget the model but I can check it when I get home...

I have an Echo and love it. Never had any problems, always starts with one pull. The only thing I did was change out the head to an after market head that could take advantage of thicker line.

I got a cheapo WeedEater from WalMart 3yrs ago and have had no issues with it. I don't use it all that heavily but it's been great. I think I spent $89.

I'm not opposed to spending more $$ for quality but it seems a bit much to me to shell out $250 for spinning twine. I do have a very nice Echo edger that was worth the extra $$ though.

I have a Shindaiwa... It can sit all winter, starts on the third pull when I try and crank it. I cut a 2,200LB Brahama bull of at the knees with one wack of the cutting blade. The twine attachment will sever the head off of a rabbit in one pass.

Edited by SEC=UGA

I've had a cheapo Weedeater from Lowe's for over 5 years with no problems at all, however I've got one of their blowers as well & the thing is a hugh POS and only serves to piss me off every time I work on the yard.

I have a Shindaiwa... It can sit all winter, starts on the third pull when I try and crank it. I cut a 2,200LB Brahama bull of at the knees with one wack of the cutting blade. The twine attachment will sever the head off of a rabbit in one pass.

plus one - Shindaiwa

minus one - Animal dismemberment

Do you have the speed feed head? Very cool.

I've got two gas trimmers and a rechargeable Black and Decker. I use the rechargeable one all for all my routine stuff. It works well, is much quieter, no bumping needed, and takes zero maintenance. I have to use the gas one for the first edging of the year though.

Husqvarna 223L at Lowes is about $250 or so but it is lightweight, balanced, powerful, and very dependable. Stihls are clumsy and heavy by comparison though I'm sure the quality is fine.

Edited by rattsass

I bought a Cub Cadet in 2002. I just finished using it again to clear the crap I can't reach with the mower. I got it because it uses the thicker line, .110 v .095. I've since decided that line feed just sucks and I put on one of those heads that you can attach brush blades on. I just put on a new set every spring and I don't have to worry about the line getting wrapped up or replacing a spool.

Had a cheapo homelite for like 10 years. Friggin thing worked great until one of the gas lines went which are part of the gas tank. Replacing it cost as much as a new one, so I got the same one. Never used it for really heavy stuff though, but did let it sit with gas in it every winter.

If I was string trimming every week, I'd absolutely go with Stihl from a local shop. Every product I've used made by Stihl has superior performance compared to other brands. However, I don't edge every week... more like once a month. For that, the Home Depot brand, Homelite has served me well for about 3 years now.