[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Hats...wear em?

Rovers

I work outside all day, so always wear a hat for sun protection, usually this big thing called an Australian outback hat, big brimmed thing.

I still have enough hair without resorting to a comb over, but still, I like hats. I wear a felt derby on St Paddy's day every year, and just bought my first fedora. I'm in a 7-11 of all places, and see this plaid fedora, teal /orange /yellow /sky blue thing. I walked out and went back in to buy it. I just had to have this hat. I've worn it like 3 times, and every time I do, someone says "Nice hat!"

Fedoras used to be strictly old man hats (which I am) but not in these colors. The fedora is making some sort of retro comeback it seems. I also have an assortment of Panama Jack weaved hats, Irish lids, and of course the old standby, the baseball cap. I refuse to wear them backwards however.

So... you wear lids? What kind? At the risk of some "Village People" jokes, would you wear a fedora? Are you man enough? :wacko:

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think I'll ever NOT wear hats. I have several "baseball style" hats that I'll wear in different settings, a derby style hat that I'll rock from time to time, and a host of beanies that get broken out when the temps go low. And I wear a Super Bowl Champion Saints ballcap for "work" most of the time. :wacko:

I don't think I'll ever NOT wear hats. I have several "baseball style" hats that I'll wear in different settings, a derby style hat that I'll rock from time to time, and a host of beanies that get broken out when the temps go low. And I wear a Super Bowl Champion Saints ballcap for "work" most of the time. :tup:

Yo, Darin.... I'm headed your way at Thanksgiving. My neice is getting married (she is legally married, but now a church wedding to make it official) and I'm her son's godfather. I think I'll get to Austin on that Friday, and leave the following Monday. You gonna be around? Oh, and since you are a Texan now.... any ten gallon hats in the inventory? :wacko:

Yo, Darin.... I'm headed your way at Thanksgiving. My neice is getting married (she is legally married, but now a church wedding to make it official) and I'm her son's godfather. I think I'll get to Austin on that Friday, and leave the following Monday. You gonna be around? Oh, and since you are a Texan now.... any ten gallon hats in the inventory? :wacko:

So you'll be here on the Friday after Thanksgiving? I'm not sure what our plans will be this year for Thanksgiving. Good chance we'll be in Louisiana, but also a good chance we're here, hosting family. In either case, I could probably escape or a beer or 3 (probably on Friday for the UT-A&M game) or Sunday night for NFL action.

Shoot me a PM in a few months. :tup:

Edited by darin3

So you'll be here on the Friday after Thanksgiving? I'm not sure what our plans will be this year for Thanksgiving. Good chance we'll be in Louisiana, but also a good chance we're here, hosting family. In either case, I could probably escape or a beer or 3 (probably on Friday for the UT-A&M game) or Sunday night for NFL action.

Shoot me a PM in a few months. :wacko:

Yes, that Friday.... air fares are cheaper on the Friday- Monday schedule. The wedding is Saturday. Sunday would likely be best for me... maybe catch a game somewhere? Even if you go to LA would you be back by Sunday? Sunday afternoon or the nite game would work. I'll let you know.

Scooby.... NICE hats, but they run near a hundred bucks! :tup: Holy Scooby's hubby!

I don't think I'll ever NOT wear hats. I have several "baseball style" hats that I'll wear in different settings and a host of beanies that get broken out when the temps go low.

the same here

Rarely wear a hat since I have a full head of hair. But when I do in rainy weather, this Kangol Gaffer Trilby works well for me.

Ah, the expected "You wear a hat because you are bald" response. I'm no where near bald, thin, OK, not bald, not near it. I just like hats. They can be functional or worn for style or both.

Question for Detlef..... do you consider it proper for a man in your restaurant to remove his hat when dining? What is the etiquitte for hats in dining establishments? The old rules were simple... indoors, remove the hat. These days?

Yes, that Friday.... air fares are cheaper on the Friday- Monday schedule. The wedding is Saturday. Sunday would likely be best for me... maybe catch a game somewhere? Even if you go to LA would you be back by Sunday? Sunday afternoon or the nite game would work. I'll let you know.

If I go to Louisiana (or Cali - less likely), I'd probably return Monday, sorry man. But who knows. Still a long way off. :tup:

We'll revisit this in a few months. :wacko:

Ah, the expected "You wear a hat because you are bald" response. I'm no where near bald, thin, OK, not bald, not near it. I just like hats. They can be functional or worn for style or both.

Didn't say you were bald, I said I had a full head of hair. Full head of hair means "hat head" imprints. Not cool.

Scooby.... NICE hats, but they run near a hundred bucks! :wacko: Holy Scooby's hubby!

lol! I like giving hubby cool stuff...once u go Tilley you'll never go back! I remember in one of their ads (and let me preface I don't want to sound gross) but a man had a Tilley hat and an elephant ate it which later came out the back side. He scooped it up, threw it in the washing machine, it was like new! They are truly indestructible.

If it's the weekend, you can bet I'll be wearing a hat or caps. Typically I wear baseball caps, unless I'm going to be out in the sun all day. If I'm going to be in the sun all day, I have both straw and felt Stetsons I'll wear depending on the temperature. If I'm going to the lake, I'll occasionally wear Greg Norman straw golf hat. I also wear hard hats a lot too.

I've never liked wearing hats much at all. Of course, because I have no hair, I have to at times. So, when I'm going to be in the sun, working, I wear a wide brimmed hat.

I'll wear a beanie when it's really cold. But it needs to be below freezing or I don't bother.

Didn't say you were bald, I said I had a full head of hair. Full head of hair means "hat head" imprints. Not cool.

Dreaded hat head. The only drawback to wearing a hat. Once I put a hat on, it has to stay on. My hair plasters right down on my head immediately. If not for that, I'd wear them more often.

Detlef.... can you answer that question? Do customers in your restaurant take their lids off when they dine? In the old days, it was an automatic. Once you step indoors, the hat came off. I'm not sure that rule is generally accepted anymore.

I have a full head of hair also, but I wear hats in the winter, when it's cold. Seldom wear baseball caps, unless the hair is a wreck from doing stuff around the house and I have to run out and get something. I have an indiana jones looking felt fedora, and two aussie-outback style hats, one leather for winter and one straw for summer., but the summer one makes me sweat even more than normal so I usually don't wear it. But if the weather's good I'm usually on the cycle, which means the helmet.

Summertime I'll wear the occasional baseball cap. In winter I have a ski-cap style hat that the Sheikette crocheted for me, so it's high in sentimental value (and nice and warm).