[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Are you a manager?

MojoMan

Are you a manager?  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Do you manage people at work?

• Yes, love it
    • Yes, hate it
    • No, wish I were
    • No, glad I'm not
    • Puddy

Have not been for 13 years now and happy about it :wacko: .

Used to be a Regional Manager with 5 Stores, 7 Managers, 5 Asst Managers and a huge regular employees turn over. Have declined 3 offers in the last 4 years and not regret it at all, lol. Doing my time and setting up starting my own business at retirement in 8 years, crossfingers.

I was in management for about five years and could not stand the glorified babysitting and politics so I went for a technical track instead and never regretted it.

I was in management for about five years and could not stand the glorified babysitting and politics so I went for a technical track instead and never regretted it.

This is basically my take on management as well. It's just one big babysitting job that comes with tons of headaches. Why would I want to have my peformance based off of how well other people do (or don't do) their jobs? I'd rather worry about my own work and "control my own destiny". Numerous times the upper management at my job has tried to get me to become a manager. No thanks.

Far, FAR to many people are given management jobs when they don't have the skill set to be a manager...the best sales person doesn't always equal a good manager...now that I have gotten that out of the way....I have been in retail management for 20 yrs...sure there are issues that you don't like but there are also challenges that are very rewarding....Shaman I am not sure what company you were a Regional for but I have had districts that were 3 times that size...my most challenging management job was probally overseeing the roll out of the footwear division for a 2 billion + company...even though I am not techincally in retail right now I do work in a capacity for the County where I have direct reports and still interact with the general public so honestly there isn't much difference...but like I started out saying....there is a special skill set to be a manager and many that hold the title don't really have the skills needed to be successful at it

EDIT: Oh and for the record, people do suck.

Edited by keggerz

I love my job, but sometimes the people can be very challenging.

IMO that is the best part about being a manager of people, building and molding the perfect team.

Yep. It can be tough, it it's also extremely rewarding at times.

People in general do suck. My people rock. :wacko:

Edited by Jimmy Neutron

I'm a telecom project manager and mostly love it. Up until recently it was about 80% problem solving/technical stuff and 20% managing people but over the past month I've taken on more of a management role on my team. I'm responsible for some reporting of our team's metrics to senior management and I've taken the initiative to get more involved in my peers' projects when I see they have let things slip. Most of the team is really good but we've got a few that are completely worthless. It's frustrating to constantly chase after them for information and see they are either not on top of their work or don't have the mental capacity/organizational skills/emotional maturity for the job. Also frustrating that we just had a massive layoff and these f*cktards somehow made the cut.

People in general do suck. My people rock. :wacko: [/color]

Mine too. I tell them that I'll treat them as adults at all times, won't worry about clockwatching and so on but I expect them to get their chit done. It works really well.

The politics thing doesn't wash at all. Last time there was any of that I told the two parties they could work together like adults inside the doors or work apart outside the doors for some other company, their choice. I refuse to spend time on bickering and silliness, too many other people doing their jobs well deserve attention.

You do realize you still are a manager, you manage The Huddle writers. From what I've seen over the years, that has caused you to do a lot of glorified babysitting and politics.

I love my job, but sometimes the people can be very challenging.

IMO that is the best part about being a manager of people, building and molding the perfect team. :wacko:

+1

For the most part it's very rewarding.

Once upon a time I managed the dept i work in for 17 years. I agree with the sentiment that People Suck!

However I can say there are some good people out there as well. I did get a lot of satisfaction out of the people I could teach along the way and help them be successful. Others you had to drag kicking and screaming. But even some of those have come back after the fact and thanked me for not giving up on them.

I got out of the management part a few years ago and now have my own little dept off to the side. My direct superviser and my dept head are both guys I hired 20 years ago. I get a great deal of enjoyment watching them deal with some of the same ass-holes that caused me aggravation for so long. :tup:

I've also had a few guys that thought I was an ass-hole come to me now and admit compared to what they got now, it seems maybe I wasn't so bad after all. :wacko:

Edited by BillyBalata

I am forced at times into a management roll in our shop. I do not have the patience or the people skills for the job. If I owned the place I can assure you that all 4 guys working for us right now would be looking for jobs today!