[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Charles Diagnosed With A Tumor

Footballjoe

Charles, our Red Headed Amazon Parrot was diagnosed with a tumor of the kidney yesterday. We had noticed over the last week that she (yes, we found out years later that he was a she) was not using one of her legs and claws. Thinking she had injured herself we took her to the vet. The xrays revealed the tumor and it is pressing on the nerve to her left leg. We were given some meds for her but were basically told its not good news. Although she does not appear to be in any pain we were told to try the medicine for 10 days to see if it helps her regain use of the limb. The other med was for the tumor to see if it will help with stopping the growth. If all goes well she could live another 10 years or so, if not she may be gone in a year. :tup:

I will be working on making her cage more user friendly and will raise the floor height to prevent injury in case she should fall. Now that we look back on her behavior over the last month or two we realize a few things. For instance we noticed she fell off the perch in the den a few times and that she was slow at times getting into her cage at night. We just figured she just didn't want to go to bed. :wacko:

We have had Charles since 1976. Wow, she is older than some of you guys. She can be a real pain in the arz sometimes, especially when she starts screaming at the top of her lungs when one of us goes to the kitchen and she wants food. Well, hopefully the meds will work and all will be fine. I guess time will tell. :tup:

• 2 months later...

Charles died this morning at about 6:45 AM. Although we knew she wasn't getting any better she seemed as though she was doing ok. Over the last 2 months she rarely left the inside of her cage but seemed in good spirits. I made her cage hadicapped accessible so she was able to move around well with the use of only one leg. She would often sit at the bottom of the cage so she could rest her good leg. This morning when I got up I noticed she was at the bottom corner of the cage. That was unusual since she normally stayed in the middle. I picked her up and noticed she was breathing heavily. I put a towel under her and sat in the chair and rubbed her head. Molly our dog came at sat with us. A short time later Charles died. I am glad I was able to be with her when it happened. Now I must call my wife and daughter. Mrs. FBJ is in Flordia visiting a friend and my daughter is in Pittsburgh. Melissa is coming home this Sunday for my sons wedding. I think she will take it very hard. :wacko:

I put a towel under her and sat in the chair and rubbed her head. Molly our dog came at sat with us.

As hard as that was for you I think it is beautiful that you were able to do that for her and that your dog seemed to recognize the moment as well. A heartfelt send off for an old friend. Sorry for your loss Joe

Edited by whomper