[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Job Interview - Finally

Footballjoe

halfway through the interview you should have asked, "Mrs. Taylor, are you trying to seduce me?"

That only works in Academia, Restaurants and Movies...

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:tup: Just got a call from Human Resource's of the Company I interviewed with. I was told they want to offer me the job but we have to come to an agreement on the starting date and salary. Since I have to relocate and give notice to my current company I asked for October 1 be the starting date but if they absolutely needed me before then we can discuss it. As far as the starting salary is concerned I asked for the highest amount they offered in the job description. That would put me somewhere between $10,000 to $12,000 more per year when I combine my retirement and new salary with the potential of about $15,000 more as I get raises. I have a lot to think about. I already feel anxious. This is scary as hell. Leaving a place I worked for the last 29 years and a place I lived for 54 years. I need to make a pro and con list. Mixed feelings right now. :wacko:

:tup: Just got a call from Human Resource's of the Company I interviewed with. I was told they want to offer me the job but we have to come to an agreement on the starting date and salary. Since I have to relocate and give notice to my current company I asked for October 1 be the starting date but if they absolutely needed me before then we can discuss it. As far as the starting salary is concerned I asked for the highest amount they offered in the job description. That would put me somewhere between $10,000 to $12,000 more per year when I combine my retirement and new salary with the potential of about $15,000 more as I get raises. I have a lot to think about. I already feel anxious. This is scary as hell. Leaving a place I worked for the last 29 years and a place I lived for 54 years. I need to make a pro and con list. Mixed feelings right now. :wacko:

There are only a handful of cities I would contemplate leaving ATL to move to:

Charlotte

Raleigh/Durham - Cary is very nice area

Baltimore (Now you people probably think I'm nuts...)

San Diego

Istanbul

I would guess that the COL in Raleigh is comparable or lower than Chesepeak, VA. I understand the ties you have to the community, but, hell, if you don't like the new job or area after a couple of years, the market will have recovered and you can move back and probably find as good if not a better job.

If they ask you where do you see yourself in 5 years please use the Mitch Hedberg joke

Celebrating the 5th anniversary of you asking me that question

:wacko: I can't wait to use that one muahahahaha! I love Mitch Hedberg. ...And congrats Joe!

Edited by Trojanmojo

Did a Pro and Con List. Just need to talk this out. Really have mixed feelings. I did not sleep well last night. Appreciate you guys listening.

Pros

About $8,000 more annually to start. I thought it would be more but did not figure the $500 monthly taken out of my retirement money for “wife’s survivor benefits.”

Potential of making about $15,000 more annually in yearly increases as time goes on.

New adventures / new town.

New friends.

Housing is cheaper and the economy is better than Chesapeake.

Cons

Have to sell current home.

Would need to rent an apartment or room of some type until house is sold or rented out.

Would have to commute weekly until the house is sold or rented out. This is a 3 hour drive each way. Cost of gas and wear and tear on the car. Would have to be away from wife during that time.

Obligations to my 82 year old mother (my sister helps but she will not be able to do it by herself)

Obligations to my 75 year old mother–in-law. (My wife’s siblings do little if anything)

Won’t see my son as often although he is getting married in a month so I won’t see him as much anyhow. I figure I would have seen him and his wife at least once a week. Also we would have met for lunch once a week since we work in the same city.

Very important question. I am waiting to hear back from my tax person but figured I would ask you guys.

If I move to NC will I be charged taxes on my retirement from the Virginia Retirement System?

Someone told me the reason most people move to Florida and NC is because you do not get taxed on your retirement money. This could make the decision much easier.

Edited by Footballjoe

Very important question. I am waiting to hear back from my tax person but figured I would ask you guys.

If I move to NC will I be charged taxes on my retirement from the Virginia Retirement System?

Someone told me the reason most people move to Florida and NC is because you do not get taxed on your retirement money. This could make the decision much easier.

I have heard that about Florida and I have an Aunt and Uncle that moved there for that reason.

just make sure you look at the possibility of your current house not selling for an extended period. factor that into possible costs if you cant rent it out either.

Well, spoke to my Real Estate Agent yesterday and he did a market anaylis. Bottom line is if I sold I would take a $20 -$25,000 loss based on the current market in my area. So my only option would be to rent the house out. I really don't like that option long term because that would mean months when its vacant but most of all I could not buy home in the Raleigh / Durham area. I figured I would rent for one year until I get to know the area but I am not willing to rent long term.

I did get an offical offer on Tuesday. They upped the $$ a little, so I could bring home about $9,000 more a year before taxes. However, they have not answered my question on what the top out pay is yet. I will wait until I get that answer until I make a decision. Also had a few other questions that need to be answered. I know $9,000 can sound like a lot but when you figure in the cost of moving, traveling back and forth to see family, loss of income from my part time handyman business (pocket money) I could really be taking a loss. Really need to see the real potential before I make a decision. Another factor is I am concerned about the price of renting which appears to be more than what I can rent my house for but I am still doing research on that. My wife really wants to go but I am leaning toward turning the job down unless they come back with a really nice money offer but I don't see that happening. From talking to the HR guy at Durham he told me raises were a bit hard to get and usually the top raise per year is only 3%. That does not sound very promising. Anyhow, just speaking whats on my mind. Advice appreciated.

Well, spoke to my Real Estate Agent yesterday and he did a market anaylis. Bottom line is if I sold I would take a $20 -$25,000 loss based on the current market in my area. So my only option would be to rent the house out. I really don't like that option long term because that would mean months when its vacant but most of all I could not buy home in the Raleigh / Durham area. I figured I would rent for one year until I get to know the area but I am not willing to rent long term.

I did get an offical offer on Tuesday. They upped the $$ a little, so I could bring home about $9,000 more a year before taxes. However, they have not answered my question on what the top out pay is yet. I will wait until I get that answer until I make a decision. Also had a few other questions that need to be answered. I know $9,000 can sound like a lot but when you figure in the cost of moving, traveling back and forth to see family, loss of income from my part time handyman business (pocket money) I could really be taking a loss. Really need to see the real potential before I make a decision. Another factor is I am concerned about the price of renting which appears to be more than what I can rent my house for but I am still doing research on that. My wife really wants to go but I am leaning toward turning the job down unless they come back with a really nice money offer but I don't see that happening. From talking to the HR guy at Durham he told me raises were a bit hard to get and usually the top raise per year is only 3%. That does not sound very promising. Anyhow, just speaking whats on my mind. Advice appreciated.

If your wife really wants to go, that speaks volumes.

As for renting the house, there are companies that handle the maintenance and such for you, and it isn't at all bad as long as you do your research.

If you can rent your house for your mortgage, plus the cost of the agency, then it seems to me to be this:

Better Money

Better Area (from the higher rents and larger property values)

Happy Wife (Will turning down the offer cause problems there?)

And that handyman stuff can be recreated in a new city, people need that crap all the time.

And BTW, you COULD compare cost of living between where you live now, and Raleigh-Durham, then come back to them with an adjusted figure of the $9,000 more than you make now adjusted for COL in Raleigh. And make certain to tell them your reasoning behind that.

So, if you are still looking for opinions, I think the change looks good, IMHO.

If your wife really wants to go, that speaks volumes.

As for renting the house, there are companies that handle the maintenance and such for you, and it isn't at all bad as long as you do your research.

If you can rent your house for your mortgage, plus the cost of the agency, then it seems to me to be this:

Better Money

Better Area (from the higher rents and larger property values)

Happy Wife (Will turning down the offer cause problems there?)

And that handyman stuff can be recreated in a new city, people need that crap all the time.

And BTW, you COULD compare cost of living between where you live now, and Raleigh-Durham, then come back to them with an adjusted figure of the $9,000 more than you make now adjusted for COL in Raleigh. And make certain to tell them your reasoning behind that.

So, if you are still looking for opinions, I think the change looks good, IMHO.

I hear what you are saying and appreciate the advice. I agree a happy wife is of PRIME importance. However, she wants "adventure" and reacts with emotion rather than reality. I am not sure I can rent my house out for more than the mortgage, esp with having to use a realtor. I am still checking into that. I know the Raleigh / Durham area is very nice but so is where I live. I know you can buy a house cheaper there but it appears rental prices are higher, not sure why. Yeah, I can start up my handyman business in time but figure the first year will be getting use to the area, learning the new job, traveling back and forth to VA, etc. I have a nice list of satisfied clients right now. I guess you can tell the way I am leaning. I always seem to lean more to the negative than the positive, although I do see some good in this move. I am just not sure if the good outweighs the bad enough to make the move. :wacko:

I always look at the math and take emotion out of it. $9,000 a year equals $750 a month (before taxes). I'm sure the gas, rent and additional living expenses aren't going to come in less than that. So, you'd better get your house sold...and fast. You are taking a $25,000 (minimum, probaby more likely $40,000 in this market but the real estate agent was low-balling you about the loss to get you to sign up) so how many years of $9,000 gain is it going to take make all this up? You're looking at at least 4-5 years minimum to make this move before you see a gain (best case scenario), not including time away from your family. You'd better love it. :wacko:

I always look at the math and take emotion out of it. $9,000 a year equals $750 a month (before taxes). I'm sure the gas, rent and additional living expenses aren't going to come in less than that. So, you'd better get your house sold...and fast. You are taking a $25,000 (minimum, probaby more likely $40,000 in this market but the real estate agent was low-balling you about the loss to get you to sign up) so how many years of $9,000 gain is it going to take make all this up? You're looking at at least 4-5 years minimum to make this move before you see a gain (best case scenario), not including time away from your family. You'd better love it. :wacko:

If I am understanding what you are saying I am better off where I am at unless I REALLY love Durham. Thats the way I feel. The housing market has screwed my plans all up. I figured drawing retirement and getting another good job and bring in much more money. Now, if I can find a job in the area (which I have not been able to do) then the plan is great. But to have to sell or rent out the house, then my plan is falling to pieces because of the housing market.