[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

OCD

dabuffbills

So I've been dealing with OCD (Obsessive Compulsive Disorder) for a while now, about 5 years. Although I think I've been dealing with it, but I've never gotten it officially diagnosed. I've looked up the symptoms online and I'm pretty sure a lot of my symptoms are typical of people with OCD. I don't trust that I've done something and I have to check several times to make sure that I've done it, sometimes even more than that. It can be anything from turning off lights to making sure I know the correct time and location of a meeting and everything in between.

So here's the thing...I'm pretty sure I know what I'm dealing with so I've never bothered to go see someone about because I don't know how much they can help. Has anyone ever dealt with this or know someone who has? If I did go see someone about it, what would they do for me?

The reason I'm asking is that it seems to get worse as time goes on. When it first started, it was only with a couple of things and it wasn't that bad. But now it almost seems to run my life because I need an exact schedule of every single thing I need to do every day, and if I don't have an exact schedule or something changes, I get really anxious and sometimes I spend hours trying to sort things out in my head.

I won't spend time listing everything I deal with, but if anyone has any information on this, it would be appreciated.

Dabuff. My wife has OCD. It has gotten much better over the years but it can be very very taxing on you and people you are surrounded by if you dont get to the bottom of it and it gets worse. There have been nights that my wife would obsess over a harmless kids toy that got lost and we would look for it for hours and hours. She also used to be very fire paranoid with it. If it gets worse it can really get a bad grip on you and consume you and you obviously dont want that. My wife had panic disorder as well that was sort of tied in with the ocd. She had great success with the CD's by that woman Lucinda Bass. I am not sure if those CD's are more panic disorder driven than ocd driven so read up on them first but reach out to a professional and get this under control . Good luck and God bless

I've never been diagnosed with anything but I'm kind of like you. People consider me very "particular". Everything has it's place. I do everything in a particular order. My desk looks like a complete and total mess yet I know exactly where everything is. The problem comes in when for whatever reason I don't put something back where it goes. It becomes a mission to return the most unimportant things to their proper resting place. House on fire? I'll leave once the lint roller is back in the second drawer to right in the cabinet in the pantry.

I have an obsession with my kids choking. I can hardly eat when my kids are because I'm always on the ready to perform an emergency tracheotomy. Even the two year old messes with me, making choking sounds when she wants some attention. I typically have the feeling I'm forgetting something. I usually am but that's because most things require a freaking manual to be performed consistent with the CFH method. It's a 10 minute process for me to pull out of the driveway because I have to get everything where it is supposed to be first. I never forget a voice or face but I can never remember a name.

Then I watch them shows with the people who was their hands constantly or have to turn the lights off three times before leaving a room or something. Whatever I am, it is not that. I prefer my version of order to chaos and I take the old miitary standby of attention to detail too far on some things. Oddly enough, on things that aren't important to me, I barely pay any attention - see my typing. I quit picking arguments with my wife over the direction the toilet paper is placed on the roll (down from the top, not up from the bottom) so I just fix it whenever it's wrong. Although I still don't know why she can't just take the extra one f*cking second to put it on there properly, either. I bite my tongue and just fix it.

But I digress. If it's getting to the point you are concerned and certainly if it is imparing your ability to function as you wish, you should use the resources around here to find a professional to talk to. F*ck, at this point it'll probably drive you crazy to at least not get a professional outside opionion. I'd be really cautious about medicating myself over it without trying other things first, therapy or whatever. Medicines that mess with your personality should not be taken lightly no matter what the warning label says. Whomp, savage and untateve could probably offer some very strong suggestions about who to see, the insurance aspects of it and so on. If nothing else, schedule a physical and talk to your PCP for a referral.

You are probably fine so the worst thing that can happen is you waste an hour and a little cash to gain piece of mind. That's pretty close to priceless. Good luck and keep us posted.

Edited by Clubfoothead

A friend of mine has a son who was severly touched with OCD. They ended up taking him to Switzerland for a brain surgery that is not approved here. It was 90% effective - a hugh success. Dan's boy now lives a very normal life and recently got married.

I've never been diagnosed with anything but I'm kind of like you. People consider me very "particular". Everything has it's place. I do everything in a particular order. My desk looks like a complete and total mess yet I know exactly where everything is. The problem comes in when for whatever reason I don't put something back where it goes. It becomes a mission to return the most unimportant things to their proper resting place. House on fire? I'll leave once the lint roller is back in the second drawer to right in the cabinet in the pantry.

I have an obsession with my kids choking. I can hardly eat when my kids are because I'm always on the ready to perform an emergency tracheotomy. Even the two year old messes with me, making choking sounds when she wants some attention. I typically have the feeling I'm forgetting something. I usually am but that's because most things require a freaking manual to be performed consistent with the CFH method. It's a 10 minute process for me to pull out of the driveway because I have to get everything where it is supposed to be first. I never forget a voice or face but I can never remember a name.

Then I watch them shows with the people who was their hands constantly or have to turn the lights off three times before leaving a room or something. Whatever I am, it is not that. I prefer my version of order to chaos and I take the old miitary standby of attention to detail too far on some things. Oddly enough, on things that aren't important to me, I barely pay any attention - see my typing. I quit picking arguments with my wife over the direction the toilet paper is placed on the roll (down from the top, not up from the bottom) so I just fix it whenever it's wrong. Although I still don't know why she can't just take the extra one f*cking second to put it on there properly, either. I bite my tongue and just fix it.

But I digress. If it's getting to the point you are concerned and certainly if it is imparing your ability to function as you wish, you should use the resources around here to find a professional to talk to. F*ck, at this point it'll probably drive you crazy to at least not get a professional outside opionion. I'd be really cautious about medicating myself over it without trying other things first, therapy or whatever. Medicines that mess with your personality should not be taken lightly no matter what the warning label says. Whomp, savage and untateve could probably offer some very strong suggestions about who to see, the insurance aspects of it and so on. If nothing else, schedule a physical and talk to your PCP for a referral.

You are probably fine so the worst thing that can happen is you waste an hour and a little cash to gain piece of mind. That's pretty close to priceless. Good luck and keep us posted.

This is sort of my deal too. I'm not like the people on the shows either in that I don't have certain ticks where I have to do things a certain number of times. I always have a feeling I've forgotten something and I need to have a schedule of everything I'm doing every day. So even though I think I have OCD, it seems very mild compared to what other people have. That's why I've never really considered getting it checked out. Yea it is annoying sometimes and I spend time each day making sure everything is off before I leave the apartment, etc., but I don't know if it's something I should just deal with or not.

Thanks for all the help everyone. I guess I'll just talk with my family and look at my options.

I think that very mild forms of OCD are a lot more common then any of us will guess. As I read Club's post it was almost as if I was typing it. Having said that, it sounds like Club is affected a little more but we are very similar. I have talked to my pcp about it and at this point there is nothing that she feels we need to do.

I say if it is bothering you then it is time to get something checked out.

I've probably got an undiagnosed mild case of it. I was watching BBC America commercials the past month on a new show coming. It had people counting to themselves. I didn't realize that was OCD. I'll count to myself all the time. I never thought much of it. It doesn't possess or affect my life, but I do it.

I'm a neat freak. I've always alphabetized or arranged things by color or height my whole life. My sisters were complete slobs and my Mom would always clean it. She never had to touch my room ever.

I'm just now hearing stories now that we have a boy in the family now about how when I was a kid I would play with my trucks and cars in the backyard and build these elaborate road systems. But I'd have to rebuild the roads almost exaclty the same way each day. I don't remember that.

OCD wasn't that diagnosed 35 years ago, I guess. I don't have it bad. But if you touch a CD, DVD, etc, you'd better put it back where you found it. And don't let my black socks touch my white ones. :wacko:

Thanks for all the stories, It's nice knowing I'm not the only one.

The only thing I'm concerned with is that mine just seemed to start a couple years ago and it seems to get worse as time goes on. It started out with a couple things but now it seems to affect everything. I think if it stays somewhat minor like this, I'll just deal with it. I just hope it doesn't get worse.

I have the mildest of mild cases. It only seems to be one thing: making sure the front door is locked. I'll leave for the day, get in my car, pull out of the driveway, and will have to stop and run up to the door just to double-check.

There's other little things here and there every so often... it's just the door thing that seems to happen a few times a month.

holy chit there are some whack jobs in the Huddle.................

I think mild OCD is pretty common - in fact a high high percentage of athletes and successful peeps in genereal have some form of it.

For you folks slamming the fridge door 50 times before you are sure it is securely shut - there are meds out there that help are really effective for OCD

There's a show on A&E called "Obsessed" that follows people with OCD as they go through treatment. They seem to have severe OCD that impedes their lives and are put through exposures to help alleviate their anxieties. It's in its second season and is quite interesting. It's usually on Monday nights at 11pm.

A&E's Obsessed

Sounds like this is starting to bother you. Let us know what the doc says and hope it works out for ya.

Now regarding the rest of you that have listed things, when i DO get around to going to WCOFF, you can bet your bottom dollar I'm taking this list with me. I'll be the hit of the party!! :wacko:

I have the mildest of mild cases. It only seems to be one thing: making sure the front door is locked. I'll leave for the day, get in my car, pull out of the driveway, and will have to stop and run up to the door just to double-check.

There's other little things here and there every so often... it's just the door thing that seems to happen a few times a month.

That is a pretty common one. That and being fire paranoid. Me, the wife and family will leave the house and she clearly sees me lock the lock. I make an exaggerrated point to show her it is definitely locked. Yet when we get to the car and pull out of the driveway she makes me back the car so we can see the door to be sure it is closed

This is my wife, but she doesn't check it herself... :tup:

I also have some small OCD quirks - I'm freakishly organized with my own stuff, but have learned to live with my messy wife and kids. As I've mentioned before, co-workers have learned that it is great fun to move stuff on my immaculate desk to see how quickly they get moved back into the "correct" position. My universe just isn't right if my desk doesn't look just so. :wacko:

My brother doesn't let his wife help withe the laundry because" she doesn't do it right" - meaning she doesn't fold things neatly enough. She doesn't raeally mind. :tup:

Edited by Jimmy Neutron

For you folks slamming the fridge door 50 times before you are sure it is securely shut - there are meds out there that help are really effective for OCD

Meds can help but are far from a cure-all or even a lock to be "really effective." Not saying you're saying that, but I can see someone getting an impression of that, or something similar. That said, that is worth investigating to HELP with OCD. But exposure and dealing with the "rituals" they cause is a huge part of it as well.

No, aint me, but someone close to me has pretty bad. Can be nothing short of crippling to a person's life. Hardest part is it's so weird that people have such shame about it and so try to hide or even deny it to great extremes.