[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Huddle Doctors

Brentastic

Serious question here: Last night I had a sharp chest pain which is not unusual, I get these rather frequently - just a quick sharp pain then it goes away. Last night was different though, my left arm started feeling slightly numb and my chest continued to feel 'tight' and continues to feel tight today. Is this just a muscle or should I be concerned about this? I'm going to the doctor tomorrow afternoon but my chest is hurting right now. I'm alarmed because my wife's dad told me he is 'seriously alarmed by what happened last night' and he had a heart attack and surgery a few years ago.

I'm only 36 and quit smoking 2.5 years ago but there's no way that was a heart attack, was it?

Please advise. I've googled heart attack symptoms but there is no clarity.

I had a heart attack with 2 stents put in at 41. Age/health means nothing. I was fine and healthy up until the pain. You don't have to have a full-blown blockage....mine weren't....they were just partially blocked. A stent is nothing. You don't feel a thing and are awake the whole time. I watched them pop the blockage open and the pain instantly went away.

The tests to show the blockage also are painless so no excuses not to go and get it checked. If you do have a blockage, you are only doing more (possibly irreversable) damage to your heart. They'll keep you in for a few days afterwards to make sure all is well probably. They'll probably load you up with blood thinners, cholesterol pills and stuff.

On the other hand, it could just be some indigestion. It's easy enough to check for blockages so no harm to go.

ETA:

As for the pain, it feels like someone stabbing a knife into the middle of your chest through your back with pain flying out all around. It started sporadically like you're describing and then non-stop. Mine started when I was in the shower in the morning. As I drove myself to work, it got worse. I drove to the ER and it was really bad. I smoked up right up to the heart attack, including having a puff or three before going into the emergency room. The pain is enough that you will vow never to do anything that put you into that kind of pain. I never smoked again. When you're lying in the bed thinking you're going to die, you regret every cigarette (or every bad habit) you've ever done....and hope it's not too late.

But, yeah, go and check it out. If you have a heart attack, they do a blood test. My first one came back negative so they thought it may be kidney stones (similar pain I guess). They even did an ultra-sound for kidney stones, but only found some minor ones. The second test came back positive for a heart attack and the stent went in in about an hour which immediately stopped the pain.

Thanks for the responses.

TimC - my pain was not that bad. It was a quick sharp pain as I breathed in, then it sort of lingered with tightness being the primary feeling. I was trying to stretch my chest by grabbing the top of a doorway and dangling. My arm felt numb for about a minute and then fine. Today on the way to work, I got the numb feeling again but it could have been the way I was sitting on the train. The numbness today only lasted a minute again but the last few hours my chest has been really tight like it needs to be stretched and my upper back is pretty tight too.

I will go to the doc tomorrow - I don't want to spend the money for the ER. I know that's not logical but...

TimC - my pain was not that bad. It was a quick sharp pain as I breathed in, then it sort of lingered with tightness being the primary feeling. I was trying to stretch my chest by grabbing the top of a doorway and dangling. My arm felt numb for about a minute and then fine. Today on the way to work, I got the numb feeling again but it could have been the way I was sitting on the train. The numbness today only lasted a minute again but the last few hours my chest has been really tight like it needs to be stretched and my upper back is pretty tight too.

I will go to the doc tomorrow - I don't want to spend the money for the ER. I know that's not logical but...

your doctor is likely to send you to the ER anyway.

Then go to convenient/urgent care!!! A simple blood test can affirm/disaffirm a heart attack.

Don't wait man!

When I got out of the car to the ER, I tried stretching my arms out to the sides as far as I could and swing them around and it helped a bit. I guess it's just pumping the blood past the blockage. Sounds alot like what you are talking about.

They say alot of things cause the same sort of pain as a heart attack. It was a Monday or a Tuesday and I had just cut down a tree that weekend and my chainsaw was a pain in the ass to start. I thought I'd just pulled a chest muscle from pulling the string to start it too often. I figured they'd give me some muscle relaxers. I was wrong. They never said I would've died, but they said you are doing alot of damage to your heart by waiting.

My heart doctor says it's just as much family history as smoking/drinking/fatty foods/lifestyle....stuff you can't control.

You should probably head on in. If it gets worse, you'll regret it. I waited thinking it would go away. I hadn't been to the doctor in ages, so driving myself to the ER, everyone knew something was really wrong.

Edited by TimC

Numbness would be what scares me the most.

If your limbs don't get enough blood, they go numb. Not enough blood = heart problem

That said, I have heard that some gastrointestinal pain/cramping can cause numbness as well.

Echo the sentiment that a bunch of hacks on a football message board aren't qualified to diagnose your problem. Get to a pro ASAP!

Numbness would be what scares me the most.

If your limbs don't get enough blood, they go numb. Not enough blood = heart problem

That said, I have heard that some gastrointestinal pain/cramping can cause numbness as well.

Echo the sentiment that a bunch of hacks on a football message board aren't qualified to diagnose your problem. Get to a pro ASAP!

Now is the time where I wish I had an alias and I'd tell him to take a chance and stay at home...what's the worst that could happen. :wacko:

What will it cost your family to bury you?

Go to the ER man, would be a shame if we never got to see another guitar webcast.

You know there is something wrong otherwise you wouldn't be asking.

Pain is not necessary to be having a heart attack...I had one with no pain just a feeling that something was wrong.. feeling uncomfortable.

Take a few aspirin and let them dissolve in your mouth and go to the hospital.

The blood check for the enzyme that is released, when the heart muscle starts to die, is a pretty good indicator that your having a heart attack.

The blockage of the arteries is not in your extremeties but in the arteries that supply blood to your heart (there are four of them). When blood is blocked from supplying oxygen to your heart muscle it (the muscle) starts to die. It's pretty much a one way street.

Have I made you feel you need to go to a doctor yet?

Go see a doctor now!

Lotta good advice here.

BTW...if the pains go away, KEEP YOUR APPT.!!!!

At the very least, you need a blood test and an EKG. It may lead to a stress testCT scan, etc., but do what they tell you to do.

Frankly, not going today to see some kind of Doc. is asinine/stoopid! Don't fok w/ chest pains and numbness!

I had this 3 times in the last 5 years. All negative, well sort of, but that's another story. The last time I was embarrassed and I told the ER doc so. He said "You did the right thing. Don't be embarrassed. The only people we see that don't come in are usually DEAD!"

Think of your family!

God Bless Brent! Do the right thing, money be damned!

All the posts that have encouraged you to get evaluated right away have been spot on. Even one day can make a difference if the pain is coming from your heart.

I hope your pain turns out to be a false alarm!