[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Yard Sale Prices

keggerz

our cul-de-sac is having a yard sale this Saturday and I was just wondering if anyone could help out with what crap gets priced at...

Nice Shirts (Banana Republic, Gap etc)

Same goes with pants

Never worn Tshirts?

Bar Ware & Glasses

Golf Clubs (not a set)

Some tools

If anyone has frequented a yard sale in the past few years your advice would be greatly appreciated

The last time I as at a yard sale was probably 30 years ago and stuff was .10, .25 and .50....a buck was big money

tia

Depends on a lot of things. If you are trying to just get rid of stuff, then you'll want to price it cheap. My wife usually prices all of our stuff and most of the stuff is under a buck. If I have some top name clothes to put in, I might go a little higher. One of our garage sales a few years back I had about 8 pairs of Hilfiger jeans and priced them at $5 each. One lady came in and bought all of them. So I might have had them too cheap, but I felt $5 was fair for a pair of used jeans.

Now on the other hand when we have done a multi family sale with my sister-in-law, she always prices her stuff a lot higher (T-Shirts $2, Jeans $8, etc). When the sale is over we have usually sold 90% of our stuff and have more $, while she will sell about half of her stuff and still only have about have as much $.

Not sure about your area but I typically price stuff to go. Clothes, pants, junk that don't really have any value unless someone buys them I usually put a buck or less on. I mean, you can donate them to Goodwill or keep them so there aren't a lot of options. Electronics, furniture, etc. I usually try to be fair but I'm not just going to give away stuff. Coffee tables would be about $50 and an old digital camera that works fine but you don't use anymore would be $30. That kind of stuff you can always craigslist and have a shot at selling. There is no point in craigslisting T-shirts IMO.

You are generally better off donating the items to charity and taking the write off than you are selling them in a garage sell, plus it is a lot less of a hassle. This is something I stumbled on when Clinton was president, and he donated his old underwear. Seriously though, you get more bang for your buck donating the stuff.

Here is the Salvation Army Value Guide for donating items.

Edited by Perchoutofwater

You are generally better off donating the items to charity and taking the write off than you are selling them in a garage sell. This is something I stumbled on when Clinton was president, and he donated his old underwear. Seriously though, you get more bang for your buck donating the stuff.

This is good info. Both them and Goodwill will give you a receipt to fill out with what you have donated. It is a great deduction, and believe it or not, actually helps people. :wacko:

You are generally better off donating the items to charity and taking the write off than you are selling them in a garage sell, plus it is a lot less of a hassle. This is something I stumbled on when Clinton was president, and he donated his old underwear. Seriously though, you get more bang for your buck donating the stuff.

I know that we could do that but we were asked to participate in the yard sale so we are being good neighbors...whatever doesn't get sold clothing wise will be donated to the DAV (disabled american vets) who actually picks it up when you leave it out in a bag for them.

It is a great deduction, and believe it or not, actually helps people. :wacko:

the economist in me must point out that when someone buys something at a yard-sale, they are revealing that they too are being helped by the transaction. (They are getting something that they value more than the dollars they are giving up. Hence, they are being made better off.)

Now, as for the whole yard-sale thing. Some of my neighbors have yard-sales all of the time, but to me it seems like a pain in the ass and we usually just donate our stuff to Good-will. (Although my wife will also sell stuff at a semi-annual consignment sale that benefits a local charity.)

Edited by wiegie

our cul-de-sac is having a yard sale this Saturday and I was just wondering if anyone could help out with what crap gets priced at...

Nice Shirts (Banana Republic, Gap etc) - 3 to 6 dollars

Same goes with pants - 6 to 12 dollar

Never worn Tshirts? - White ones? buck piece

Bar Ware & Glasses - 3 dollars a glass (If they are nice)

Golf Clubs (not a set) - 10 bucks

Some tools - Depeds on the tool

If anyone has frequented a yard sale in the past few years your advice would be greatly appreciated

The last time I as at a yard sale was probably 30 years ago and stuff was .10, .25 and .50....a buck was big money

tia

the economist in me must point out that when someone buys something at a yard-sale, they are revealing that they too are being helped by the transaction. (They are getting something that they value more than the dollars they are giving up. Hence, they are being made better off.)

Now, as for the whole yard-sale thing. Some of my neighbors have yard-sales all of the time, but to me it seems like a pain in the ass and we usually just donate our stuff to Good-will. (Although my wife will also sell stuff at a semi-annual consignment sale that benefits a local charity.)

Yep, my wife is big into the local charity scene, and one of the ones she does has a semi-annual sale. I've actually bought some goods stuff there. They have an early viewing where you pay $50 or so, it includes a modest dinner and a couple of drinks, and then you get to purchase items at 20% above the marked price. They call it the Spring Sweep. She was actually in charge of it one year. That sucked, as I got roped into going to all peoples houses to pick up all the crap and take it to the storage building for the better part of two years and then take it from the storage building to the community center where the event was held. I visited the chiropractor on a weekly basis for those two years. It was pretty interesting seeing what the people were giving away, as the members of the charity most of which were higher income people were giving away some really good stuff. Each member of the charity had to give $200 worth of stuff to be sold for the charity. Some gave much more.

I know that we could do that but we were asked to participate in the yard sale so we are being good neighbors...whatever doesn't get sold clothing wise will be donated to the DAV (disabled american vets) who actually picks it up when you leave it out in a bag for them.

If that is the case price your stuff a little on the high side to try to optimize your return, and feel good about donating anything that is left. I would use the chart I linked to and not price anything below 1/2 of the high price for that item. If it sales fine you make some cash now, if not you can fell good about donating it and getting a deduction come April. Then you've been a good neighbor and optimized what you receive from the items you are getting rid of.

...whatever doesn't get sold clothing wise will be donated to the DAV (disabled american vets) who actually picks it up when you leave it out in a bag for them.

This. We donate our clothing to two or three local charities that pick them up curbside and leave a receipt. I take the tax deduction. Yard sales are a pain in the ass and I don't want a bunch of people swarming my yard and criticizing my stuff, arguing about prices and generally pissing me off.

Never post a price. Tell someone to make and offer, then double it and work towards the middle. The idea is to get rid of your junk, any cash returned is just a bonus.

This. We donate our clothing to two or three local charities that pick them up curbside and leave a receipt. I take the tax deduction. Yard sales are a pain in the ass and I don't want a bunch of people swarming my yard and criticizing my stuff, arguing about prices and generally pissing me off.

+1, and stealing stuff. Yes, they will steal items that are for sale for $1 :wacko:

We usually hire a caterer and a violinist, and start the auction around 4PM.

I think I bought my 18th century Poulett armchairs from your last little show. It was down on your Polo Fields, correct?

Edited by SEC=UGA

I had a garage sale. Once.

All these old bittys from godknowswhere show up. They offer you a dime for something reasonably marked 25 cents. If its marked 10 cents, they'll offer you a nickle.

I'd rather throw all of my sh*t in a dumpster.

I had a garage sale. Once.

All these old bittys from godknowswhere show up. They offer you a dime for something reasonably marked 25 cents. If its marked 10 cents, they'll offer you a nickle.

I'd rather throw all of my sh*t in a dumpster and watch those shriveled up, mothball smelling, crocheted sweater wearing, gray haired, twats rummage through rats and feces to pull out whatever they can get their greedy hands on!!

Damn...

You can get some pretty sweet deals at garage sales sometimes. Sometimes people sell off stuff that seems like junk to them but is actually nice stuff. I got that guitar that I posted on here from the daughter of the original owner and the guy kept it in really great condition

it doesn't matter...people will still only want to give you a quarter for it.

I agree, with one caveat...it can depend on your area, we have a TON of migrant workers here, and they typically want things cheap.

Our last yard sale cost me a day of golf, and we BARELY made $40. I donated 75% of the leftovers and threw the rest away. From here on out, anything small worth selling goes on eBay, and the larger stuff goes on Craigslist if I think I can get more than $40 or $50 bucks for it (like used kids furniture). Not worth the hassle anymore.