[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Thinking of building a 3 hole par-3 golf course

TimC

Here's a pic of my property with property lines and hole placement from the air..

As you can see, most of my property is wooded (not too densely wooded for this, I feel) and wasted area. I am trying to plan this over the winter and renting a bobcat and building 3 par-3 holes in the Spring 2011 (if all goes well) or 2012 (if I'm a fool). I haven't measured it out yet, but I'm guessing each hole would be around 100-140 yards. It would be tight, but hitting an 9-iron or less, I don't think you'd get to far off-target to rattle around the trees too much without an outright shank. I'm only building 3 greens and a small crush and run stone path to get between the holes. The tee boxes would be on the edge of the greens. I have enough dips and divots out there to add a natural bunker or 4.

Here's a 3-year old pic during winter to help show the density of the woods.

Does anyone know of a forum for this type of thing? I've Googled them but you never know which is the best for something like this. I'm thinking my only expense afterwards is going to be a cheap used lawnmower to cut the grass. I'm even considering artificial so I don't have to run sprinklers, but I know that would be very expensive up-front. I don't have any budget right now.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds kind of crazy, but those woods look pretty worthless. I'd find someone who has done something similar and talk/read everything you can. This might be one of those ideas that doesn't seem like too much work until you are 40% into it and have gone 30% over budget and too stubborn to quit.

To me, if you have your own golf course, you've made it. Anyone talks smack, all you have to say is "I have a golf course on my property" and they run away crying. Basically there are adult magazine publishers up here (I am raising my hand as high as possible), then you about here (hand lowered one inch), then everyone else (hand lowered to the floor). Good luck, let me know if I can help in any way.

Real greens are tricky and expensive to build right and maintain - but it's doable. How's your access to irrigation?

That's my biggest thought. Water. It'd probably be too expensive for a full sprinkler system so I'm thinking of just filling a water barrel on the tractor cart and driving that around when it's dry to water them. I'm not looking for the Masters-type greens. I'm thinking 30' by 30', but don't know yet.

That "V" looks a little narrow. What if your REALLY shank it? Looks like you could bomb your neighbors pretty easily...

It would be played counter-clockwise from the house. I'd have more chance to kill a deer than hit that house. That "V" part goes back further than my crude MS Paint drawing. I'd just need to mow down the hundreds of sucker trees.

Here's a pic of my property with property lines and hole placement from the air..

As you can see, most of my property is wooded (not too densely wooded for this, I feel) and wasted area. I am trying to plan this over the winter and renting a bobcat and building 3 par-3 holes in the Spring 2011 (if all goes well) or 2012 (if I'm a fool). I haven't measured it out yet, but I'm guessing each hole would be around 100-140 yards. It would be tight, but hitting an 9-iron or less, I don't think you'd get to far off-target to rattle around the trees too much without an outright shank. I'm only building 3 greens and a small crush and run stone path to get between the holes. The tee boxes would be on the edge of the greens. I have enough dips and divots out there to add a natural bunker or 4.

Here's a 3-year old pic during winter to help show the density of the woods.

Does anyone know of a forum for this type of thing? I've Googled them but you never know which is the best for something like this. I'm thinking my only expense afterwards is going to be a cheap used lawnmower to cut the grass. I'm even considering artificial so I don't have to run sprinklers, but I know that would be very expensive up-front. I don't have any budget right now.

If you are serious Tim, PM me. I have some resources you can contact for some estimates on what you are planning.

In all seriousness, some small town courses out here have sand greens with rakes. Or a place where I shoot sporting clays has a fun course with different holes on sand greens, one is a toilet, or sink, etc. Makes it kinda fun with out all the hassle of a real green. A place near me has astroturf greens, just make sure you have sand under them, a few of theirs have hard clay and it is like dropping a ball on a concrete slab. If it is a par 3 you could get away with only watering the areas around the green, most people wouldn't need the other areas lush and green. I think it is a great idea, why not put a fourth over on the other side of the house?

I built a putting green on my property once. To build and maintain a green is trickier and more expensive than you think. The green should be graded and rolled to get the major bumps out. Then comes the seeding, watering, fertilizing, and weeding. Golf course greens require special mowers that trim the grass super-short. It takes alot of work to do it right. .

If you are serious Tim, PM me. I have some resources you can contact for some estimates on what you are planning.

I am very serious. I plan on doing all the work I can possibly do myself...I love landscaping but am still squarely a beginner and amateur. I'm weird that I would get as much enjoyment out of doing this as I would with the finished project. I'm mainly thinking what would be the lowest maintenance of decent greens. I've played some pretty ratty courses in my day and am thinking of greens on par with those. I stopped playing golf about 15 years ago and used to play at least twice a week. The courses just got too busy and I stopped having the time for 6+ hour rounds. The only course we have around here is a private 9-hole course that looks decent but I've been wondering what do with these woods for 4 years now. I think it'd be great exercise to grab a pitching wedge and putter after work.

If you have any resources, I'd really appreciate it. I'd prefer to do it once (unlike most of my other projects) instead of twice after realizing my mistakes. :wacko:

Do one hole and if you still have the desire and funds complete the project. If not at least you have one hole and the experience will be valuable.

Which hole will have the windmill?

This is the path I'm going to take. The hole closest to the house and the other one near the road are very very accessible and mostly cleared. It may be a two-hole course for a year or two. The one back in the woods could be a real pain. To be honest, I haven't been back that far since I built the house. It may be room for another 2 holes back there but I don't know until I scout it. I'm waiting a few weeks for the brush to die out to get back there. Oh, and the poison ivy. :wacko:

In all seriousness, some small town courses out here have sand greens with rakes. Or a place where I shoot sporting clays has a fun course with different holes on sand greens, one is a toilet, or sink, etc. Makes it kinda fun with out all the hassle of a real green. A place near me has astroturf greens, just make sure you have sand under them, a few of theirs have hard clay and it is like dropping a ball on a concrete slab. If it is a par 3 you could get away with only watering the areas around the green, most people wouldn't need the other areas lush and green. I think it is a great idea, why not put a fourth over on the other side of the house?

This is what I'm thinking. I'm just wondering what is the best way to go. The other side of the house is possible. I'm trying to stay away from the neighbors though. My retired neighbors are seriously nosy and weird. :wacko: