[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

If you could go back to college

Seahawks21

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought you would opt for being an english major. :rofl:

:lol:

Didn't you do that? :tup:

collage is way better than High School. I know you guys and gals that flunked out of collage and or never went, missed out and are jealous.you can always go back or take some online classes from one of those fake universities.

:wacko:

:tup:

collage is way better than High School. I know you guys and gals that flunked out of collage and or never went, missed out and are jealous.you can always go back or take some online classes from one of those fake universities.

Those University of Phoenix rush parties are da bomb!

Thanks for the input guys. You guys actually hit pretty extensively on my two most likely directions. I do find it a bit odd though that nobody mentioned computers. I have a few friends that are very successful programmers, and make quite a bit of money and can work from home and seem to have quite a nice life for themselves.

I've considered teaching for a long, long time. I think that is probably what I am best suited for. I coached baseball/football/basketball for 3-4 years after I graduated high school and really enjoyed it. They ultimately didn't keep me on because I had smoked and drank myself out of school and wasn't pursuing a career in teaching anymore. I think there are a lot of things about teaching I would really like. I really enjoy working with and connect easiest with young people. Also, since my wife is from another country, the summers and Christmas holidays off will give me lots of time to travel to see her family. I also really like the pension, although by the time I would retire, pensions like their current one are probably going to be a thing of the past.

The biggest negative I see is that teaching seems like a lot of work and stress for little pay. Of course, there are going to be wonderful, fun times, as there are always are with kids. That said, teachers really have a lot of pressure on them. They really can effect the entire future of some kids. I don't like that kind of stress. Also, I'm just afraid of the bad times. The times where a kid dies or is being beat by their parents, etc.

Although it is basically a polar opposite, the other field I'm considering is the medical field. I mean, why not? I've got the financial backing for the schooling if I should need it, and I'd like to think I have the brain capacity to succeed.

The thing I should have probably added in my original post was that I judge myself strongly in regards to humanitarian reasons. It makes me sick that I'm selling golf equipment. This profession isn't exactly helping those in need. Especially with being a teacher, but also by working in the medical field, you can look yourself in the mirror in many cases and honestly feel that you are making a difference in some way. That has become quite important to me over the last few years.

You guys have given me quite a bit to think about. Thanks for taking the time.

The thing I should have probably added in my original post was that I judge myself strongly in regards to humanitarian reasons. It makes me sick that I'm selling golf equipment. This profession isn't exactly helping those in need. Especially with being a teacher, but also by working in the medical field, you can look yourself in the mirror in many cases and honestly feel that you are making a difference in some way. That has become quite important to me over the last few years.

You guys have given me quite a bit to think about. Thanks for taking the time.

I also work in the golf industry, and consider it a means to an end. The compensation I receive allows me to actively particpate and contribute to many charities that I care about. It is a different kind of humanitarian fulfillment, but helps people in need nonetheless. You dont have to join the Peace corp to help others . . . .

The thing is the IT industry is so saturated with technical people that the jobs which used to have decent salaries (i.e. MCSE, CCNA/CCNP, ect) now have very low salaries. Plus, it is expected that almost everyone in a professional environment has some degree of technical aptitude in order to use the basic tools needed in an office environment (micrsoft office, project, ect).

Programming

Software architect

Hardware architect

Sales

Network Engineering

Are about the only areas of IT where there is still substantial grown in your job position (based on my observations within my company).

I always tell people don't waste your time with a BS/BA in computers unless you are planning to get a masters in a related area. You can get certifications that will allow you to hit the ground running. Instead get your degree in business or management to compliment your certifications.

just mo

As do all of us here at an online forum for a fantasy football hobby.

I'm about ten years younger than you SH21, but I just finished my degree in English, and will have my teaching credentials in June, with a Masters in Education in March 2012.

Currently "student teaching," teaching two periods of eleventh grade English. Seriously - it's a blast. Every day is entertainment with these kids. Sure, some of them are punks and some of them simply don't give a schit, but I genuinely look forward to getting up and coming to school in the morning. There's some frustrating days just like any job, but ultimately very gratifying.

Irish might have more to say on teaching...

Look Ma, our little boy is all growed up! Congrats!

I got a degree in Geology with a focus on environmental science/engineering studies. While not a fast track to make tons of money, the industry has been very stable and my career has been continually upward before and during the recession.

I like science and logical pursuits although I am a very strong technical writer and argument maker. I am a dumbass when it comes to emotional intelligence. I am a coldhearted bastage so patient care is not for me. I like looking at coochie and squeezing boobs as much as the next guy but that is not all the Chargerz does.

Seven years ago, I would have said that I should have gone into a MSTP program, emerged with my MD/PhD and gone to a very good place for Internal Medicine and completed subspecialty training in Rheumatology or, maybe, GI. Pain (subspecialty of anesthesia, neurology, or PNMR) would not have been a bad choice. Then I would have gone to work for FDA for 5-7 years. Then, to industry and big $ without having to take care of patients or dealing with insurers.

I'm not so sure now. I have no natural ability in things other than biological sciences/medicine although I think I would have been a good attorney if I could believe in the cases. If I were deciding today (pretending that I was in my sophomore year in college), it might have been better to get my MD, do some kind of public healthy residency/fellowship, then become more of a policy guy. We really need to figger out how to cut costs and maintain services. I would have liked to be a part of that but my career has not gone there.

Edited by MojoMan

I think Tim C is one of the funniest dudes on the Huddle but I think he meant this. Unless what you're doing is truly a passion, consider the $ and C.

That's why the clear answer here is Chargerz. None of the other answers involve examining box all day long. The only thing missing is "craps hundred dollar bills". Dude even lives in San Diego.

The thing is the IT industry is so saturated with technical people that the jobs which used to have decent salaries (i.e. MCSE, CCNA/CCNP, ect) now have very low salaries. Plus, it is expected that almost everyone in a professional environment has some degree of technical aptitude in order to use the basic tools needed in an office environment (micrsoft office, project, ect).

Programming

Software architect

Hardware architect

Sales

Network Engineering

Are about the only areas of IT where there is still substantial grown in your job position (based on my observations within my company).

I always tell people don't waste your time with a BS/BA in computers unless you are planning to get a masters in a related area. You can get certifications that will allow you to hit the ground running. Instead get your degree in business or management to compliment your certifications.

just mo

Are you talking about going to like a technical college? I'd be able to at least get my foot in the door ny going this route?

I got a degree in Geology with a focus on environmental science/engineering studies. While not a fast track to make tons of money, the industry has been very stable and my career has been continually upward before and during the recession.

Shoot you could make a killing in the emergency management field. The geologist used by Maryland emergency management clears 6 figures. If that field isn't of interest for you you should try to land a job appraising diamonds and other precious stones for a Gemologist.

Are you talking about going to like a technical college? I'd be able to at least get my foot in the door ny going this route?

Not necessarily a technical college. You can do independent study or search on line for a boot camp for technical certifications. But yes, you can get your foot in the door with that. In fact, we just hired 2 CCNA certified techs and each do not have a degree.

I think Tim C is one of the funniest dudes on the Huddle but I think he meant this. Unless what you're doing is truly a passion, consider the $ and C.

I would go to rap college and learn how to repeat the same verse 150 times straight in a 4 minute song spread out over 5 or 6 different songs that appeals to the suburb white kids and roll in the cash for the rest of my life. Screw workin' for da man.

Edited by TimC