[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Draft players from IND, HOU, PIT and NO

DMD

Apparently they have a week ELEVEN bye and there are no week ten byes. This according to NFL.com and a media only site I use.

Huh?

Nice to get ten straight weeks of Manning, Andre Johnson, Drew Brees, etc before they take a week off - and they get healthy for the late stretch too

I just noticed that and was gonna post the same thing.

As a Colts fan I was at first wondering why I couldn't find their bye. Then I saw it and wondered if it's a typo, or if it was intended to be that way?? Don't know that I've ever seen bye weeks followed by a full slate and then one last week of byes. And FWIW, the Colts do have a brutal schedule though to finish out the home stretch.

Edited by Shorttynaz

Apparently they have a week ELEVEN bye and there are no week ten byes. This according to NFL.com and a media only site I use.

Huh?

Nice to get ten straight weeks of Manning, Andre Johnson, Drew Brees, etc before they take a week off - and they get healthy for the late stretch too

i may be missing something, but i don't understand why that it matters what their by week is :wacko:

It matters since you never have to worry about their bye until week 11 when your team is probably already in or out of the playoffs. It is also better because your players can get a week of rest right before you need them to be at their best when you are heading into your FF playoff weeks. Players that have week five byes don't get a chance to rest or heal up for the last 11 weeks of the season.

it's definitely odd that NO one has a bye on week 10?!

I've been watching NFL channel but no one has mentioned the week 10 "no byes" that I heard.

It matters since you never have to worry about their bye until week 11 when your team is probably already in or out of the playoffs. It is also better because your players can get a week of rest right before you need them to be at their best when you are heading into your FF playoff weeks. Players that have week five byes don't get a chance to rest or heal up for the last 11 weeks of the season.

why is my team in or out of the playoffs by week 11? with all due respect, i don't think that makes sense. ok, maybe it's a little helpful to have a bye closer to the end of the season but the difference b/t week 10 and 11 is marginal and i don't see how even a few weeks difference would impact anyone's draft strategy in any significant way.

Huh?

So sayeth the shepherd...

Odd too, I noticed that the Saints don't travel any further West than Houston this year which should help with time change & long distance travel issues.

Edit: Actually, Houston is a home game, so make that no further West than Minnesota.

Edited by rajncajn

I absolutely love drafting players with the latest bye weeks...especially if I can get a stud QB or a K or a defense. Those are all positions that all leagues I play in only require you to start 1 of each week...if I got Brees, PITT def and Vinateri - I'd be set and would not even consider any backups at those positions during the rest of my draft...I'd load up at RB and WR with my extra unused roster spots and if I needed a backup QB, K or DEF I'd have 10 other weeks to acquire one off of the waiver wire.

If I draft Romo (for example)...I must get another QB to cover my week #5 bye week....if I get Manning, Big Ben, Schaub or Brees - I am either in the playoffs by their bye weeks or out of it...either way I have saved 2 or 3 valuable draft day spots.

KO'd

maybe it's a little helpful to have a bye closer to the end of the season but the difference b/t week 10 and 11 is marginal and i don't see how even a few weeks difference would impact anyone's draft strategy

+1, it´s missing the forest for the trees. It´s less than a 1% uptick in value. I can´t imagine it actually changing the ranking of any player even one spot unless is a complete dead-heat. The only benefit I can see that makes any real difference is that if you trade one of these players for a player who has already had their bye. Or maybe by week eleven you´ll have a better bye week replacement if you are savvy on the waiver wire.

If I draft Romo (for example)...I must get another QB to cover my week #5 bye week....if I get Manning, Big Ben, Schaub or Brees - I am either in the playoffs by their bye weeks or out of it...either way I have saved 2 or 3 valuable draft day spots.

KO'd

I am sincerely interested in hearing the logic behind this statement. I've often had the last few weeks determine whether or not i make it into the playoffs and just don't understand this point at all.

I am sincerely interested in hearing the logic behind this statement. I've often had the last few weeks determine whether or not i make it into the playoffs and just don't understand this point at all.

If you have a bye in week 11 and your league starts their playoffs in week 13 or 14, then you only have 2 or 3 games left to secure a spot. Certainly there are many teams that are likely fighting for a potential spot but there are others that are either in or out with only 2 or 3 games left.

The nicety about the late byes is that you can grab a kicker or defense and never have to replace them for 11 weeks allowing you to have an extra spot or two to stash speculative roster picks to see if they pan out. The majority of all hot free agent finds are over by week ten easily. And when you take a RB, WR or QB from those week 11 bye teams, you have ten weeks to cruise the waiver wires and get the best replacements that you can. On the other end, if you take a week 5 bye player, you have to replace him pretty quickly and before you have as much time to see how your replacement may do or if there is anything better out there.

Bottom line - you want all your players available every week and the later you have to replace any (for a game or the rest of the season) the better off you are in having the most time possible to replace them.

If you have a bye in week 11 and your league starts their playoffs in week 13 or 14, then you only have 2 or 3 games left to secure a spot. Certainly there are many teams that are likely fighting for a potential spot but there are others that are either in or out with only 2 or 3 games left.

The nicety about the late byes is that you can grab a kicker or defense and never have to replace them for 11 weeks allowing you to have an extra spot or two to stash speculative roster picks to see if they pan out. The majority of all hot free agent finds are over by week ten easily. And when you take a RB, WR or QB from those week 11 bye teams, you have ten weeks to cruise the waiver wires and get the best replacements that you can. On the other end, if you take a week 5 bye player, you have to replace him pretty quickly and before you have as much time to see how your replacement may do or if there is anything better out there.

Bottom line - you want all your players available every week and the later you have to replace any (for a game or the rest of the season) the better off you are in having the most time possible to replace them.

Exactly. I play in 2 local leagues...one playoffs start in Week #12 the other in Week #14....true, I may not for sure have locked up a spot in the playoffs by Week #11 but I stand a good chance of knowing if I can make it or not in 1 more week or 2 more weeks. I also play in leagues WCoFF and FFPC where the league playoffs start after Week #11.

DMD made all of my points for me....don't get me wrong I won't cut off my nose to spite my face...if someone is there that I love with a different (earlier) bye week I won't avoid drafting them....but if someone similar is available with a late bye week bye....I'll grab them for sure....especially Kickers or defenses.

Jackass (the poster - not hurling an insult :wacko: ), I will grant you this though....if I need a win in Week #11 to make the post season and my QB is Manning or Brees and I didn't draft a decent one week backup....I may be screwed and my drafting of players with a Week #11 bye week could back fire badly.

KO'd

Edited by KOKIDKOKID

I don't understand. So it is much better to lose in week 11 of FF than it is to lose in week 5 or week 8? Explain how that works for me.

Well for those of us that are in draft only leagues ( I'm always in a few) especially the ones that lowest weekly score is out ( Survivor Leagues ) this is a big advantage ,,, other than those type of leagues I don't pay to much attention to bye weeks because if they aren't draft & go then they are dynasty leagues

Well for those of us that are in draft only leagues ( I'm always in a few) especially the ones that lowest weekly score is out ( Survivor Leagues ) this is a big advantage

Unless your season is 10 weeks or less, you're pretty much hosed week 11 in that league since the teams left will usually be pretty strong teams. I'm always looking for a healthy mix of week 4/5 byes on my roster in those kinds of leagues.

Edited by Bronco Billy

I still haven't seen any kind of explanation why these 4 teams get their bye a week later then they should. Throw out the fantasy football implications, I think it's an advantage to have your bye later in the season to rest up some players for the stretch run. So here for some unknown reason, 3 of the premier teams in the NFL, Colts, Saints and Steelers all get this extra little advantage. Makes me wonder why the Patriots aren't the 4th team on a bye that week. :wacko:

Interesting how people view this on both sides. I do agree this holds little advice for dynasty leagues. Only way it works for you in a dynasty would be if you made a trade that you could pull off to match this methodology however you cant jeopardize your future for your dynasty based on one years bye week schedule.

I don't understand. So it is much better to lose in week 11 of FF than it is to lose in week 5 or week 8? Explain how that works for me.
I absolutely love drafting players with the latest bye weeks...especially if I can get a stud QB or a K or a defense. Those are all positions that all leagues I play in only require you to start 1 of each week...if I got Brees, PITT def and Vinateri - I'd be set and would not even consider any backups at those positions during the rest of my draft...I'd load up at RB and WR with my extra unused roster spots and if I needed a backup QB, K or DEF I'd have 10 other weeks to acquire one off of the waiver wire.

KO'd

Makes some sense to me. :wacko: I wouldn't necessarily reach far for one of those players but it's always nice to try to grab an extra sleeper or give a slow starter a little longer to get warm.