[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Who here has high blood pressure?

Scooby

I might have it, going to the doc on Thursday, but my top # is elevated, the bottom one more so, in the range of 100-110 for the past few days. I have been sick allergies/sinus problems lately, but I think this problem may have finally caught up with me at the ripe age of 36...both my parents have it, both sets of grandparents and 2 of my siblings, I exercise regularly and eat well, but the genes are stacked against me I fear :wacko: What types of meds do u use and any side effects appreciated. TIA:)

I was placed on BP medicine a few years back when i showed up to my annual physical sporting a BP of 205/110...

Lisinopril, from what I understand, is the generic that most people take. I take one called Diovan, it doesn't affect me as much. Lisinopril gave me dry mouth and I had to pee a lot.

I was placed on BP medicine a few years back when i showed up to my annual physical sporting a BP of 205/110...

Lisinopril, from what I understand, is the generic that most people take. I take one called Diovan, it doesn't affect me as much. Lisinopril gave me dry mouth and I had to pee a lot.

I do and I'm currently on Lisinopril.... Good luck.

i got put on meds for high blood pressure this winter. Along with type 2 Diabetes.

My BP was at 170/120. They started me on Hydrochlorithia and then added the Lisinopril, I now take 1 pill a day in the morning that is a combo of both. They say take it in the morning as SEC mentioned because it can make you pee more often, however i have never noticed that. The only thing I noticed when i first started taking them I got a little jittery the first couple days. Now I don't notice anything different.

My last BP was 120/75. I've lost 35 lbs since the first of the year, so i'm sure that's had something to do with it as well. But it also runs in the family and outside of my dad, everyone is on some sort of meds for high BP.

HBP sucks! Sorry Scoob! :rofl: But don't take it to heart. (No Pun intended)

I have a low dose of Lipitor (10mg) for the heart palps and Metoprolol (100mg) for the BP. I have a good wrist BP monitor. At home 134/72 is usual. Go to the Doc's office and its 145/90! :tup::wacko::lol: Yeah....White coat syndrome! My Doc knows it and doesn't get too crazy about it.

BTW...PLEASE...say a prayer for my Cuz (Like my Sis). She's been dealing w/ a major irregular heart beat for months (years???). They did a cardioversion (shock the heart) 3x last week. It didn't work! :bow::rofl: They have her on new meds (off Coumadin) but she refuses to do one of the new ones, Pradaxa(sp), because of all the side effects. She is one stubborn lady, but she did beat thyroid cancer w/o Chemo 40+ years ago. God Bless her.

Sorry for the hijack.

You'll be fine Scoob! :yay:

HBP sucks! Sorry Scoob! :rofl: But don't take it to heart. (No Pun intended)

I have a low dose of Lipitor (10mg) for the heart palps and Metoprolol (100mg) for the BP. I have a good wrist BP monitor. At home 134/72 is usual. Go to the Doc's office and its 145/90! :tup::wacko::lol: Yeah....White coat syndrome! My Doc knows it and doesn't get too crazy about it.

BTW...PLEASE...say a prayer for my Cuz (Like my Sis). She's been dealing w/ a major irregular heart beat for months (years???). They did a cardioversion (shock the heart) 3x last week. It didn't work! :bow::rofl: They have her on new meds (off Coumadin) but she refuses to do one of the new ones, Pradaxa(sp), because of all the side effects. She is one stubborn lady, but she did beat thyroid cancer w/o Chemo 40+ years ago. God Bless her.

Sorry for the hijack.

You'll be fine Scoob! :yay:

no prob, sry 2 hear of your cousin--lmaybe all will turn out fine & I will pray 4 her too:) my mom and dad take those meds too just like u. @ FBJoe---Hmmm, Lebanese....Pollock thru & thru here, that's my problem, we're high-strung I guess;) lol!

Careful with that stuff, Scoob. My wife also has high-BP and they put her on that stuff a couple of years ago. I think hers was about the same as yours, and they put her on the lowest dosage.... and it still made her BP go WAY too low. Make sure that you're in a controlled environment the first few times you're on the medicine, make sure your doc has properly dosed it out.

Take care of yourself! :wacko:

I, too, was high on the diastolic(bottom) number it ran about 100. Doctor gave me 25mg of Atenolol. I never had any dizziness, frequent urination, or other side effects that I've heard BP meds can cause. I've been taking it just short of a year.

ETA: diastolic now runs 70-80

Edited by boat_hacked

I, too, was high on the diastolic(bottom) number it ran about 100. Doctor gave me 25mg of Atenolol. I never had any dizziness, frequent urination, or other side effects that I've heard BP meds can cause. I've been taking it just short of a year.

ETA: diastolic now runs 70-80

Maybe it's just the Lisinopril then... that's what the wifey took. :wacko:

I was diagnosed at 25/26 with hypertension. I am 37 years old now and I take 50mg of Attenolol

The first medication they put me on was a combination of two medications and the first day on it I had a severe reaction. Doctors sometimes have to play around with different dosages and drugs to find what works with your particular body chemistry.

Having HBP isn't bad because you know about it and it can be treated. It's not knowing about it that will kill you. Even while I am being treated for it every year I have an ultrasound on my heart and my kidneys checked and I have my eyes looked at every 3 years.

Didn't go to a doctor for 15 years. Was forced to by my wife for a severe infection (poison ivy/sumac/oak) about a year and a half ago (age 36). Blood pressure was 240/150! They kept taking it and wouldn't let me leave because they thought it was wrong. Anyway, I'm on 20mg of lisinopril and 25mg atenolol per day. Only side affect I've noticed is I do have dizzyness, especially when I get out of bed (I have to hold on to something to not fall down). But I'm at a pretty normal pressure with the meds.

BTW

Do get a good BP monitor and keep a record. My doc always says that he trusts those results more than what he gets in the office (nervousness). Also take it with you and have them take yours with their professional one and then with yours to see if it's the same.

20 mg of Lisinopril. My bottom number is usually around 90...he wants to see it at 80 or so. I'm on 4 other pills (blood thinners and such) for my 2 stents. Don't wait for the big one! I still kind of drag around being on statins and blood thinners since it forces your blood pressure to remain low.

Plavis (and a few others, I think) are coming off patent next year. Lipitor came off last year. That should drop the cost down to a few bucks on most insurance plans when they switch to generic. There were alot of heart and cholesterol pills "discovered" in the 1990's and the patents on those last 10-12 years. So it shouldn't hit your wallet too much for too long.

Edited by TimC

Not yet but it hovers near upper limits of normal. My grandmother, mom, Dad, little brother and youngest daughter all are so I assume it is in my future. I stopped adding salt to my food once prepared a few years ago and have tried to cut out frozen food. You can get over 1/2 the RDA of sodium in frozen dinners.

Didn't go to a doctor for 15 years. Was forced to by my wife for a severe infection (poison ivy/sumac/oak) about a year and a half ago (age 36). Blood pressure was 240/150! They kept taking it and wouldn't let me leave because they thought it was wrong. Anyway, I'm on 20mg of lisinopril and 25mg atenolol per day. Only side affect I've noticed is I do have dizzyness, especially when I get out of bed (I have to hold on to something to not fall down). But I'm at a pretty normal pressure with the meds.

BTW

Do get a good BP monitor and keep a record. My doc always says that he trusts those results more than what he gets in the office (nervousness). Also take it with you and have them take yours with their professional one and then with yours to see if it's the same.

I'll echo the dizziness sentiment; one of my wife's main complaints from taking that drug.

And +1 on the BP monitor: get a good one, keep records, and bring it with you to Dr. visits to make sure it's calibrated correctly (and that the Dr'.s is as well).

Not yet but it hovers near upper limits of normal. My grandmother, mom, Dad, little brother and youngest daughter all are so I assume it is in my future. I stopped adding salt to my food once prepared a few years ago and have tried to cut out frozen food. You can get over 1/2 the RDA of sodium in frozen dinners.

Sodium is the hardest one to keep low. I use caloriecount.com to monitor my diet. For two months earlier this year, I logged everything I ate daily. It was an eye opening experience. The sodium content in food shocked me the most. For example, a 6 inch subway turkey sandwhich has over 40% of the recommended sodium intake daily.

I lift at the gym 4 times per week so I make sure I am eating a gram of protien per pound of bodyweight. I have to supplement with Whey protien to hit the mark. Consuming 185 grams of protien daily is hard to do without a supplement.

If any of you are really concerned about your diet or just interested in nutrition, try the site out and you will see what I mean.

:eek: how long were you in the hospital?

Just at the clinic for the rash. They made me make an appointment on the spot (I didn't even have a doctor) and I was on the drugs a week later. Started on the lisinopril. After about 6 months they added the atenolol which dropped it another 10 points on both sides and I'm at about 130/75 generally.

I lift at the gym 4 times per week so I make sure I am eating a gram of protien per pound of bodyweight. I have to supplement with Whey protien to hit the mark. Consuming 185 grams of protien daily is hard to do without a supplement.

I have a tough time getting to 160 grams a day without a supplement.