[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Do you speak more than one language?

nuke'em ttg

I know enough German to (barely) get by in day-to-day life in Germany (same with Swiss-German and Switzerland). However, whenever I try to speak it over there, most people lose their patience quickly and speak back to me in clearer English than Nuke speaks.

I can speak enough Turkish to keep from starving to death and so that I don't get lost.

One of the more impressive feats of foreign language speaking I have seen was while in Ecuador. We were at a lodge where we ran into a family who were embassy workers from Sweden. The son, who was 10, and his father would start a conversation in, say, english, in this same conversation, mid paragraph, they would then switch to Swedish, then to german, then to french, then to spanish, etc... It's been to long ago for me to remember which languages exactly the kid spoke, but it was 9 of them. It was one of the more impressive spectacles I have witnessed.

I can speak enough Turkish to keep from starving to death and so that I don't get lost.

One of the more impressive feats of foreign language speaking I have seen was while in Ecuador. We were at a lodge where we ran into a family who were embassy workers from Sweden. The son, who was 10, and his father would start a conversation in, say, english, in this same conversation, mid paragraph, they would then switch to Swedish, then to german, then to french, then to spanish, etc... It's been to long ago for me to remember which languages exactly the kid spoke, but it was 9 of them. It was one of the more impressive spectacles I have witnessed.

There was a guy that spoke 6 languages who lived on my dorm floor. Pretty amazing.

I ran into him years later expecting him to be working in some embassy. The "Welcome to Starbucks" name tag said differently. Odd.

I can say "spread your legs", "take a deep breath", and "push longer and harder" in Spanish.

I'm sure others here know those words also, but use them in a different context/venue. :wacko:

When we got to Germany, the housing on base was full so we got an apartment in town. I attended German preschool and kindergarten. I was as good with German as the rest of the kids. Even had a slight accent. That was beat out of me upon arrival at Bergstrom AFB in Austin.

I learned that I could say "Pablo voy el bano" in high school, the teacher would let me leave and that was it for the day.

I now know enough Spanish to start a fight but that's it.