[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

NFL Sunday Ticket...

jhusted

Maybe this year, I won't have to haggle like I have the past few.

Secretly, as much of a fan as I am of Directv, every year I would wish they would get some HUGH backlash and choke on their stupid pricing on this. Maybe they finally did. In the end (which is where we're still taking it at this price point), no haggle for me would mean $50 more than last year. With season tickets, I may call and explain I don't want Sunday Ticket at full price since I'm attending (almost) half of the season's (i.e. Rams home) games. That got me about 50% off last year.

Yeah but Red Zone will cost the extra $100 so now we have to haggle down the more expensive package. I would assume they'll keep trying to sell you the cheaper package if you want a deal.

Pretty annoying to have to call them every year to get it at a reasonable price

Yeah but Red Zone will cost the extra $100 so now we have to haggle down the more expensive package. I would assume they'll keep trying to sell you the cheaper package if you want a deal.

Pretty annoying to have to call them every year to get it at a reasonable price

Exactly, nothing has changed, just another angle to make you pay $300. Last year, we haggled and still had to pay $175. This year, my contract is up for my service and I will have more leverage. I expect to get the max package for the minimum price.

Exactly, nothing has changed, just another angle to make you pay $300.

If nothing had changed, it wouldn't be $200 with an option, it would be $300. I love this change, I don't even like the red zone because the announcers are morons, they are late getting over to the action too often, and the filler is awful. I watch the split screen, so have 7 channels + red zone playing during the early games - now they can fill this with an 8th game. I can see all the action that's going on and volume over to a game I'm interested in or put one full screen if it's a good situation.

If nothing had changed, it wouldn't be $200 with an option, it would be $300. I love this change, I don't even like the red zone because the announcers are morons, they are late getting over to the action too often, and the filler is awful. I watch the split screen, so have 7 channels + red zone playing during the early games - now they can fill this with an 8th game. I can see all the action that's going on and volume over to a game I'm interested in or put one full screen if it's a good situation.

First negative RedZone comment I've read anywhere. At any rate, it's a good point that for those that don't like it it's $100 cheaper.

My cable company offers the RedZone channel & it only costs me $20-$30 for the entire season.

I actually like the red zone announcer. He can get a little "hackey" at times, but overall, he's solid. I've got Comcast and I pay $6 a month for the sports package which includes the redzone. I couldn't imagine paying 200-300 for the ticket unless I lived outside of my teams tv market.

First negative RedZone comment I've read anywhere.

Yeah it's too bad too, such a great concept that they just don't get right. The announcer makes me think I'm watching Bob Saget on America's Funniest, and they don't queue up any of the action, so after watching Flacco overthrow Bolden in the end zone for the 3rd time and Cundiff trotting out to miss another 34 yarder, they flip over to the extra point in the Detroit game, and proceed to play the backup FB's TD catch on replay. No clue how they got there, how close the D almost was to a stand, if they converted a 4th and inches earlier, or what. Just a catch by a big fat fullback.

They try too hard to remain real-time, perhaps due to legal reasons, and that destroys the execution of a brilliant concept. If they just queued everything up from the 20 in (or 30, whatever, but Red Zone kinda screams 20), didn't show a score ticker, and then played them out regardless of real-time that might be a lot better. They would still need to fix the commentator but at least the action would flow nicely.

Hate might be a bit strong of a word, but my dislike level is pretty high for the RZ channel.

Watched a little during the free preview and didn't care for it. I like to see the whole game, or most of it with more of the plays and analysis. I do watch some games on DVR or the NFL Replay versions on NFL Network and edit out lots of stuff, but that's still much closer to watching a full complete game. Red Zone just seems like a somewhat live time highlight show, perfect for the modern generation of ADD sufferers and people who can't sit through a little "boring content" to get to the exciting big play.

If you're talking about replacing a game I want to see with Redzone, then no, I'd rather watch a football game than just jumping around to potential offensive highlights, so usually I'll just put Redzone on a second TV to the side to peak over at during the endless commercial breaks.

But if the only game to watch looks like one I don't really care about seeing, then sure, especially at 4 when there are less games to jump around to.... Just the fact that there are no commercials is definitely nice.

Good news for me. Had the ticket two years ago but didn't bother with it last year as I barely have time to watch the games. If I can get them to knock a little off the $200, I'll probably be brack this year. RZ just doesn't do that much for me. Obviously FF is important but I still like just watching the game itself instead of red zone coverage from every game.

• 2 months later...

For whoever doesn't have the Sunday ticket right now, the Viacom dispute and blackout of Viacom channels is a prime time opportunity. I called in and threatened to move to Comcast and they gave me a free ticket, $10 off/month for 12 months, and free Whole House DVR. I had to call in twice though. First time, the woman only offered me $5/month for 3 months so I set up a cancellation 2 weeks out. Second time, I called with the excuse of finding out if they would take the dish down off my roof and the rep offered me all the stuff above. There are other forums online with people getting all sorts of free stuff. If they threaten you with having to pay an early termination fee, just mention that it is a breach of contract in your opinion and the assessment of cancellation fees sounds ripe for a class action.

For whoever doesn't have the Sunday ticket right now, the Viacom dispute and blackout of Viacom channels is a prime time opportunity. I called in and threatened to move to Comcast and they gave me a free ticket, $10 off/month for 12 months, and free Whole House DVR. I had to call in twice though. First time, the woman only offered me $5/month for 3 months so I set up a cancellation 2 weeks out. Second time, I called with the excuse of finding out if they would take the dish down off my roof and the rep offered me all the stuff above. There are other forums online with people getting all sorts of free stuff. If they threaten you with having to pay an early termination fee, just mention that it is a breach of contract in your opinion and the assessment of cancellation fees sounds ripe for a class action.

Sweet!! Just called and got the same deal.

They keep offering me free Sunday Ticket with 2 exceptions- I have to add 12 months to my contract and I will not be eligible for future ST deals which means I must pay full price on future years. So I scheduled the cancellation 2 weeks from now and will call back.

I wonder what the deal would be for a new sign up. After getting divorced, i currently have comcast in the apartment i moved into. Getting a dish there would be tough but could be well worth it. Plus i was already a DTV user when i was at my old house.