[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Detroit/Dallas Game Thread

heehawks

CAN you RESPOND to this please

YES, I CAN!

Let's not forget the no call when Dez ran onto the field without his helmet on disputing the flag for pass interference right after the play. It's clear as day and should have been a 15 yard penalty. I'm more shocked at that no call than i am of the picking up the flag.

As for the Dez no-call, Dean Blandino, the guy in bed with the Cowboys for your conspiracy theorists, said that is a judgement call. It's a penalty if it's a player on the field but when he comes from the sideline that the officials have leeway not to call that.

but they made a point in the BEG of the game when aikman said we have a NEW officaition crew... that doesnt usually work together.. LMAO

FYI, since 2012, the playoff crews have been "NEW" crews that haven't worked together. Prior to that entire crews were awarded with playoff games but in 2012 (pretty sure that's the date) that changed with the new ref's CBA to where individuals are assigned as "all-stars" to playoff crews. If the league wants to change back they'll have to wait until the CBA ends.

it was obvious detroit gets that call.. one REF didnt get the nod only the HEAD knows the fix is in.. thats why the flag gets pulled back and a series of defense penalties to allow dallas to score in the end...

Last I checked, Tony Romo threw a game winning TD pass. The calls may not have helped Detroit, but Romo et al. scored the TD, not the refs.

I am man, I can agree to disagree.

Then please do so in a way that it doesn't appear that an 8 year old is doing the typing for you.

And yes, business is business and the absolute worst thing that could happen to the NFL would be for it to be fixing games. .

There is a difference between incompetence/mistakes and fixing games. I'm sorry you either lost money on the game, hate the Cowboys and are too blind to see they took advantage of the situation and won the game...FAIR AND SQUARE, or you're just trolling for attention.

PSA: I will not be responding back so DON'T EXPECT A FUTURE RESPONSE

YES, I CAN!

As for the Dez no-call, Dean Blandino, the guy in bed with the Cowboys for your conspiracy theorists, said that is a judgement call. It's a penalty if it's a player on the field but when he comes from the sideline that the officials have leeway not to call that.

FYI, since 2012, the playoff crews have been "NEW" crews that haven't worked together. Prior to that entire crews were awarded with playoff games but in 2012 (pretty sure that's the date) that changed with the new ref's CBA to where individuals are assigned as "all-stars" to playoff crews. If the league wants to change back they'll have to wait until the CBA ends.

Last I checked, Tony Romo threw a game winning TD pass. The calls may not have helped Detroit, but Romo et al. scored the TD, not the refs.

Thanks

The first response to me clearly shows you agree there should of been a flag

The second response doesnt answer my question about making it PUBLIC before a game that the crew hasnt worked together...

Like who cares? no one. why make it public

The third response

Shows me no notion that you're willing to even note the # of flags thrown on the drive to keep it going for dallas, and also you clearly werent watching the offense line HOLD Suh chop block ETC.

Thanks for responding though, the second one had the most substance but no where near answered my question.

How about a shout out for Cole Beasley taking the dirtiest hit I've seen in awhile and bouncing up like it was nothing. One tough Lil dude

lol, add to the list of annoying things about Cowboy fans. You see a good play and act like it was one of the greatest plays of all time. If you think that was one of the dirtiest hits you've seen in a while then you haven't been watching much football in the past... ever. Edited by rajncajn

Breaking down "The Call that Wasn't"

I'm going to make this real simple fellas. Had the game been played without the call everyone would be talking about how this game saved the weekend for it's pure excitement. Yes, there would be a few tiffs about some of the calls here and there but for the most part, Romo, TW and the Dallas defense would be dominating the conversations. It's a shame that it has come to this because for me any playoff team that scores but 3 points in the second half of a playoff game has no business winning anyhow.

That said, the call did happen and if you watch the play from all angles there were fouls on both players. Petigrew DID grab Hitch's facemask and Hitch although did a great job selling his coverage, grabbed his shoulder on the route and did enough to warrant a flag. However, if you're honest with yourself and have any kind of football purest in your blood, that play had no business deciding a football game of that magnitude. There is no way Detroit should have needed to pin their hope of winning that game on a referee throwing a flag. Petigrew was covered, had no chance of catching the ball because Hitch did a great job of being in the position that he was. Think back to when football was about making real plays despite rough play. Back when you couldn't depend on PI and PFs to bail you out. When players had to play football and WR actually had to get open, catch the ball knowing they could get knocked out, a time where the defender had as much right to the ball as the WR.

I know exactly what the refs were thinking. The three officials got together and asked each other what they saw. They all looked at each other and said, wasn't enough contact to give them a free pass. The guy who threw the flag was the furthest from the play and threw the flag based on the given precedent that when a defender has his back to the play and doesn't turn his head, it's a penalty. The three said NO, in a game like this, you're going to have to win it making plays. I applaud them for the decision. Had it been against my Cowboys, YES, I would be pissed off. However, I would also know deep down that they made the right decision and weren't about to give a free first down on a poor throw to a covered receiver who had no chance of making the play whether Hitch grazed him or not. That simple. Now the way they handled it was poor which is why we are here *****ing about it. I have felt exactly the way Lions fans do about calls like this, but deep down I am more pissed about the play call and the decision to make such a poor pass to a covered receiver, praying for a call.

I have no problem arguing it was the RIGHT call given the circumstances and Detroit had ample time and opportunity to win that game. Like I said, 3 points in two quarters does not a winner make.

Now as far as some fix being in. Ridiculous. If the Lions showed some balls and went for it on 4th and 1 like we did TWICE, perhaps they would have won. Instead they counted on a ticky tack call to go their way. I don't know about you but football is a contact sport and you had better know how to make plays in spite of contact. That is the foundation of this game and without it you don't have football. Some refs know the difference between PI and playing through contact. I wish more did because the pussification of this game has got to stop.

The conversation should be about how Romo played his ass off in spite of being legally mauled. TW stepping up to make plays. Murray grinding out some tough yards. Beasley making timely first downs. Witten coming up HUGE on 4th down twice and the Cowboys defense holding the Lions to 3 points in crunch time.

Finally, I applaud the refs for making the right call, despite doing it all wrong. In no way did that call determine the winner of that game. Did it make it tougher for the Lions, sure but that is what this game is all about. Dallas found ways to adapt, improvise and overcome, while the Lions.......they chose to punt.

Dallas didn't let misfortune stop them from making the plays to win the game. Simple as that folks. Simple as that.

Edited by Cowboyz1

I guess the most annoying things about saints fans are they crawl out a the woodwork to post in cowboys threads...

If we're back to sucking again then I'm taking everyone down with me damnit.

Oh and Beasley needs a hair cut. That hit wouldn't have looked nearly as hard if it weren't for his fabulously golden locks flying about.

Edited by rajncajn
  • Like 1

Fwiw, I think the league spends way too much time analyzing plays after the fact looking for penalties. Obviously the all star ref system isn't the way to go. One ref's word overruled another. Egos get in the way sometimes.

Completely agree with this. I still don't get why the NFL does not have full time referees.

As for the conspiracy talk I think it's absolutely ridiculous. I'm fairly certain that at some point there have been corrupt refs that have had an influence on games, I'm absolutely certain that some refs have a bias for certain teams and/or players. I'm 100% certain that the league in general plays favorites. But saying that the league would jeopardize absolutely everything to put one team in the Superbowl over another is just absurd. Maybe it makes you feel better to speculate because you just lost, but doing so is nothing more than sour grapes. Pick yourself up and be glad that you were better than at least half the league and renew your hope for "next season."

Cowboys fans... lighten up a little. You FINALLY won a playoff game after how many years? Enjoy it & quit worrying over the losers crying foul. You know everyone else hates the Cowboys, you should be used to everyone busting your balls by now. The fact of the matter is that it was a bad call, that one way or the other should have benefited the Lions. Whether that was PI or offsetting penalties or UC on Dez, no matter what if you're arguing against that whole deal then you're just wrong. However, I do believe that it ultimately would not have affected the outcome of the game. I also know that there were other penalties in the game that did not go your way (the Murray TD that was called back). As I said before, the Lions had every opportunity to win that game and just could not capitalize, plain and simple. So enjoy your win, it was well deserved and look forward to facing the Packers this week. I would say good luck, but after all, I hate the Cowboys.

• Like 1

What does that have to do with only a select few being informed about the fix? It's the reason why head judges have the ultimate authority. Jeapordize what? the league knows after this weeks over people move on, the ratings from cowboys vs packers is a league 100 million dollar swing.. ratings etc.

Figure out why the public betting teams and favorites won 90% of the primetime games this year.

The ray rice and AP scandal made the league look real bad.

Its a business please stop

On the call, had they huddled up and discussed it first, then picked up the flag before announcing "FIRST DOWN" I think there is much less chatter about it now. And it may have impacted the game less, since maybe the Lions realize sooner it is still 4th down and have more time to decide what to do. (Heck maybe the punter was pissed off about the call and that got into his head making him shank the punt.) But at least it wouldn't be dominating the discussion.

Even in that case, I don't think our resident Cowboys nuthugger is right. I think a lot of talk would have been about how well Detroit played, building the early lead and how they gave the Cowboys a good match when some were giving them little chance. Sure there would be some talk about how good the Cowboys are, how they've gotten over that hump and finally won a playoff game in the last ?? years. There would also be talk about how bad they were early in the game, and how they showed some glaring problems that others could exploit in upcoming games.

GO PACK!

rajn

If you believe there are teams that get favoritism from the NFL, refs that play favorites, etc. do you also believe that it is possible this crew (or some members) screwed the call and gave the Cowboys a benefit because of those things. Not a complete fix handed down from NFL HQ, but just some simple favoritism and home cooking. I never thought any pro sports had fixed results until those stories came out about the NBA ref (Tim Donaghy) who was point shaving. Because of that I could see an NFL ref doing something similar, and trying to control things for his benefit. I can accept simple mistakes, or just plain getting it wrong. But I have concerns that things are being done specifically to benefit some teams.

PS

Reading a little more of Cowboyz1 post giving the refs a pass seems to say they are special rules and considerations in playoff games, that more contact is needed for a penalty that before, and that teams have to earn things instead of calling the games consistent with all season. He also ignores the initial hold on Hitchens, before the face mask by Pettigrew and the PI which was initially called. So its still a DAL penalty, or at worst offsetting (replay the down). And of course he ignored his loudmouth WR running onto the field like a teenage girl screaming at the refs. And I gaurantee if this happened to his boyz he'd be bitching and screaming about it to no end. This "refs made the right call" stuff is utter BS and homerism.

Edited by stevegrab
  • Like 2

Reading a little more of Cowboyz1 post giving the refs a pass seems to say they are special rules and considerations in playoff games, that more contact is needed for a penalty that before, and that teams have to earn things instead of calling the games consistent with all season. He also ignores the initial hold on Hitchens, before the face mask by Pettigrew and the PI which was initially called. So its still a DAL penalty, or at worst offsetting (replay the down). And of course he ignored his loudmouth WR running onto the field like a teenage girl screaming at the refs. And I gaurantee if this happened to his boyz he'd be bitching and screaming about it to no end. This "refs made the right call" stuff is utter BS and homerism.

+1

I'm going to make this real simple fellas. Had the game been played without the call everyone would be talking about how this game saved the weekend for it's pure excitement. Yes, there would be a few tiffs about some of the calls here and there but for the most part, Romo, TW and the Dallas defense would be dominating the conversations. It's a shame that it has come to this because for me any playoff team that scores but 3 points in the second half of a playoff game has no business winning anyhow.

That said, the call did happen and if you watch the play from all angles there were fouls on both players. Petigrew DID grab Hitch's facemask and Hitch although did a great job selling his coverage, grabbed his shoulder on the route and did enough to warrant a flag. However, if you're honest with yourself and have any kind of football purest in your blood, that play had no business deciding a football game of that magnitude. There is no way Detroit should have needed to pin their hope of winning that game on a referee throwing a flag. Petigrew was covered, had no chance of catching the ball because Hitch did a great job of being in the position that he was. Think back to when football was about making real plays despite rough play. Back when you couldn't depend on PI and PFs to bail you out. When players had to play football and WR actually had to get open, catch the ball knowing they could get knocked out, a time where the defender had as much right to the ball as the WR.

I know exactly what the refs were thinking. The three officials got together and asked each other what they saw. They all looked at each other and said, wasn't enough contact to give them a free pass. The guy who threw the flag was the furthest from the play and threw the flag based on the given precedent that when a defender has his back to the play and doesn't turn his head, it's a penalty. The three said NO, in a game like this, you're going to have to win it making plays. I applaud them for the decision. Had it been against my Cowboys, YES, I would be pissed off. However, I would also know deep down that they made the right decision and weren't about to give a free first down on a poor throw to a covered receiver who had no chance of making the play whether Hitch grazed him or not. That simple. Now the way they handled it was poor which is why we are here *****ing about it. I have felt exactly the way Lions fans do about calls like this, but deep down I am more pissed about the play call and the decision to make such a poor pass to a covered receiver, praying for a call.

I have no problem arguing it was the RIGHT call given the circumstances and Detroit had ample time and opportunity to win that game. Like I said, 3 points in two quarters does not a winner make.

Now as far as some fix being in. Ridiculous. If the Lions showed some balls and went for it on 4th and 1 like we did TWICE, perhaps they would have won. Instead they counted on a ticky tack call to go their way. I don't know about you but football is a contact sport and you had better know how to make plays in spite of contact. That is the foundation of this game and without it you don't have football. Some refs know the difference between PI and playing through contact. I wish more did because the pussification of this game has got to stop.

The conversation should be about how Romo played his ass off in spite of being legally mauled. TW stepping up to make plays. Murray grinding out some tough yards. Beasley making timely first downs. Witten coming up HUGE on 4th down twice and the Cowboys defense holding the Lions to 3 points in crunch time.

Finally, I applaud the refs for making the right call, despite doing it all wrong. In no way did that call determine the winner of that game. Did it make it tougher for the Lions, sure but that is what this game is all about. Dallas found ways to adapt, improvise and overcome, while the Lions.......they chose to punt.

Dallas didn't let misfortune stop them from making the plays to win the game. Simple as that folks. Simple as that.

hitchens_hold.0.jpg

CJHECK IN

http://static5.businessinsider.com/image/54a9de0cecad04a81878da8f-800-600/lions-cowboys-flag.jpg

Edited by InTomWeTrust

rajn

If you believe there are teams that get favoritism from the NFL, refs that play favorites, etc. do you also believe that it is possible this crew (or some members) screwed the call and gave the Cowboys a benefit because of those things. Not a complete fix handed down from NFL HQ, but just some simple favoritism and home cooking. I never thought any pro sports had fixed results until those stories came out about the NBA ref (Tim Donaghy) who was point shaving. Because of that I could see an NFL ref doing something similar, and trying to control things for his benefit. I can accept simple mistakes, or just plain getting it wrong. But I have concerns that things are being done specifically to benefit some teams.

No, I think what happened was the head ref saw what happened on the play, assumed it was a legit flag and was too quick to announce the call and not giving the head linesman? the opportunity to give his side of what went down. After the call was announced, the head linesman (who supposedly had a better view) gave his version of what happened & the head ref decided to pick up the flag so that "the game would not be decided based on that penalty." I don't think there was any bias influencing that course of events at all, I think it was just a poor decision by the head ref to jump into announcing the call before a discussion could be had and likely the no-call on Dez either just a matter of the ref not noticing or them just letting it slide because they did not want to impact such and important game at a critical time with such a petty flag. As I said before, if there was any bias at all then you probably wouldn't have seen the holding call on Witten earlier on the Murray touchdown and the only reason it seems like there was here is because this all happened late in the 4th quarter with the game so close.

And I gaurantee if this happened to his boyz he'd be bitching and screaming about it to no end. This "refs made the right call" stuff is utter BS and homerism.

Completely disagree with that statement. Cowboyz is certainly a homer through-and-through, but he's always taken his medicine like a man. I've never known him to really cry about a bad call and always has good things to say about the opposition in a defeat.