[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

In my first year in Fantasy Football my stupid pick was?

Cowboyz1

Ok, I'll go first. It was my first year in FF and had no idea how to play. I am invited to a league with some friends and I get a cursory explanation of how it works. I recall one of the guys saying these words, "you want to pick guys who score touchdowns, the longer the better". So my brain goes to work trying to think of guys who score long touchdowns. This was during the days of USA Today paper scoring on Monday mornings and my homemade excel fantasy scoring spread with formulas and everything. I was the hit of the league for that bit of programming. I digress.......

So I sit there and the light bulb goes off. I got him. I know who I want. So I start inquiring about who gets to pick first and begin worrying about if he will be there when I pick.

So I'm sweating out my pick in round 1. I'm in the 8 slot.

It's pick 7 and he doesn't pick my guy............. I rejoice.

I stand up and proudly pick Mel Gray Detroit Lions.

The room goes still for all of 3 seconds then,,,,,,,,a roar of laughter fills the room. I sheepishly sit and say "dude scored 5 times on kickoffs that went for 80+".

Thankfully they advised me of Def and Special teams, handed me a book and the rest is history......... :doh:

i posted this in another thread, but my first year was 1998, and ended up getting the #1 pick overall (through random draw) in my first year...i can't remember if i had a magazine, or how i conducted "research" but rather than going with Terrell Davis, I proudly selected Kordell "Slash" Stewart (coming off I believe a 32 combined TD effort in 1997)...no one bothered to tell me (back then) you always take a "stud" RB with your first pick...i was somehow able to grab Marshall Faulk in the 2nd round and Curtis Martin in the 3rd, but the guy who had the #2 that year laughed all the way to the bank with TD...LOL

actually now that i think about it, i may have taken a WR (although i couldn't tell you who) in the 3rd and was somehow able to get Martin in the 4th...i had that burning desire to go straight down the line and fill my roster, position by position...LOL

Edited by the outlaw

I can't believe you guys even remember this stuff. I have no idea who was on my team the 1st year I played

the only reason i can remember my kordell stewart pick is because i still, to this day, get ridiculed about it this time of year...lol

1997. Never really followed football much prior to that. 10 teamer. 3.1 pick: Troy Davis, rookie RB, NO. Granted, it was a homer pick since he played college ball in my state so my perception was likely biased since I heard a lot about him. I'm pretty sure he wasn't even the starter. The room was quiet for a few moments after that.

Ok, I'll go first. It was my first year in FF and had no idea how to play. I am invited to a league with some friends and I get a cursory explanation of how it works. I recall one of the guys saying these words, "you want to pick guys who score touchdowns, the longer the better". So my brain goes to work trying to think of guys who score long touchdowns. This was during the days of USA Today paper scoring on Monday mornings and my homemade excel fantasy scoring spread with formulas and everything. I was the hit of the league for that bit of programming. I digress.......

So I sit there and the light bulb goes off. I got him. I know who I want. So I start inquiring about who gets to pick first and begin worrying about if he will be there when I pick.

So I'm sweating out my pick in round 1. I'm in the 8 slot.

It's pick 7 and he doesn't pick my guy............. I rejoice.

I stand up and proudly pick Mel Gray Detroit Lions.

The room goes still for all of 3 seconds then,,,,,,,,a roar of laughter fills the room. I sheepishly sit and say "dude scored 5 times on kickoffs that went for 80+".

Thankfully they advised me of Def and Special teams, handed me a book and the rest is history......... :doh:

I took 2 QBs in the first four rds in a 1 QB league. One of them was Brian Griese. :bag:

Shared this story a few times before, but similar to these two, first year was '95. College buddies ask me to play the day before, little to no explanation of how it works. I grab a magazine and show up to the draft, working off their top overall lists.

I get the #1 overall pick.

I select Steve Young. Not bad.

With my #2 pick, the highest guy on my magazine cheat sheet is Brett Favre. I pick him... butchering the name in the process, a reference that lives on to this day amongst my college buddies.

Only saving grace is that part way through the season I traded Young for Chris Warren and Andre Miller, salvaging my season. young was hurt the week after the trade and missed 6-7 weeks

My first year playing was 2003. I don't remember my team. What I remember is that I had been dating this girl for about 3 months and her dad hadn't spoken to me once despite the fact her mom was having me to dinner every night. All of a sudden I am at their house and her dad tells me "be here tomorrow". I asked why and he told me that there was an opening in his long standing fantasy football league and he had been told I really enjoyed football. I studied my ass off that night to figure out how to play fantasy football thinking that this would be my one chance to get her dad to be "ok" with me.

Went with him to his friends house. It was a live draft that was really well done. You could tell everyone had been in the league for a long time. I remember they were playing a thing about cheerleaders on the TV and I kept debating watching it or not.

I did ok the first year and I won it the second year. I dated his daughter for 4 years. Him and I got along great for the rest of it. It gave us something in common. I have been hooked on it ever since.

Vinny Testaverde. :kicksrock: .... the year he tore his Achilles right before halftime of Week 1. I hadn't even got off the plane back from my draft.

First year 1999:

First pick of my fantasy career…Vinny Testaverde. Everyone laughed. To add "injury" to "insult" he tears his achilles the first game of the season.

:(

My first year in FF was probably my best year ever. I believe it was 2003.

I had pick 5 in a 10 teamer.

1. Priest Holmes

2. Marvin Harrison

3. Fred Taylor (a year he did awesome

4. Rich Gannon

5. Travis Henry

I can't remember the rest, but all those guys had career years.

I havent had a team close to that good since.